Fox Attack Versus Dog Attack

Daxilly

My neighbour has just lost her miniature goat to an attack, by we think, either a dog or fox. Her brother was not touched and she was housed in the same area as chickens. The chicken pen was situated in her pen.

The only injury the goat had was what I could described as puncture wounds around her neck. There was no blood that I could see and she hadn't been mauled or eaten. There was a hole underneath the fence, which is not unusual as we have wombats everywhere, but was not there prior to the attack. Their dog had just been put into kennels the day before, as they went away for New Year.

Height wise the goat was about the same height as my female lab, but not as solid. Would a fox attack something that big? From my googling the wound is typical fox, but we're not sure as there is conflicting information.

Any ideas or information would help. Also if a fox, should I be worried about an attack on my dogs.

She was a very friendly goat and the family is devastated.

RIP Josephine.

I would say unlikely to be a fox, especially if there were chickens in the same enclosure. Foxes are much smaller than a Lab and I doubt they would take on a goat. Te situation sounds a bit odd to be honest. I would expect a fair bit of blood and mayhem regardless of what killed it.

I am by no means the fox guru, but a single wound seems more like a fox. Also foxes seem to attack when the opportunity arises - they would go for our ducks/chooks after it had rained and the doggy scent was gone - AND - if the dogs weren't home. Dogs IMHO, tend to do the maul, or chase and bite stock or fowl more.

Think the fox might have gone for the chickies too,but may have got the goat and been scared off.

So sorry about the goat. Nasty thing to happen.

I think quolls (?) drink blood only and leave no other injuries.

I don't really think it sounds like a dog or fox but I guess something could have interrupted it or the goat might have struggled and injured it. Was the neck broken?

ETA: Actually, depending on breed, I guess a gundog might have done it. My Weimaraner will go for the throat and throttle the animal, so does not generally leave any marks. If the animal struggled the teeth might have scored the skin though, depending on the skill of the dog. Not all dogs (I am talking single dogs here) will just maul, if it is a prey driven gundog, throttling is a common move for them.

Edited by BlackJaq

I found a fact sheet on foxes and it said that they do go for baby goats and I assume this goat was pretty little? The sheet said they killed by biting the neck. A way to tell the difference was that a fox wouldn't have the strength to break bones, whilst a dog would.

I think I found the same fact sheet about foxes. I also found fox scats in our adjoining paddock.

The feral cat idea is interesting. We do have some big ones around. I would have thought there would be more trauma, if it was a large feral cat.

The gundog idea is also interesting as a WeimX and LabX have been missing from the local area for the last two weeks. I would have thought there would be more trauma as well.

Pole cat/ferret unlikely as I don't think we have any around here.

Good ideas though.

post-49023-0-32033100-1388867809_thumb.pngThe best way to tell that kind of thing is to look for footprints. Dog and fox footprints are similar but there's a very easy way to tell them apart. In the picture that I added (I hope I did it right), you can draw a straight line between the first and fourth digits without the line intersecting the second and third digits for a fox, but not a dog. The line intersects the second and third digits. Hope this helps.

Sorry to hear about the goat, they're charismatic little things :(

Edited by Pepper21

Oh and if you're not sure how to identify any tracks you find, take a few pictures (with a scale next to it) and send it to a ranger/council. You can add it on here and I might be able to help, but it's been a long time since I did any field work. Even if it's been a few days since the incident, the animal will likely still be hanging around in the area. If you can find a trail, lay a thick layer of clean sand over a small section (1m by 1m) and you might just get a clean track.

Height wise the goat was about the same height as my female lab, but not as solid. Would a fox attack something that big?

I wouldn't have thought so. I've found foxes left my lambs alone much before that size.