Lumps On Back Of Neck

Angeluca

Hi yesterday i noticed one of my 8 week old pups had a lump on his neck larger then a golf ball right where the chip and vac was done 2 weeks earlier.

a trip to the vet, inflamed cells found but no evidence of puss or infection anti-inflammatory and precautionary antibiotics, it is obviously to soon to see much of a difference in him however 4 more have lumps in the same spot ranging from marble size to golf ball?

any ideas??

just gone out and it turns out remaining puppies have pea size lump starting.

that was my first thought but would usually show up with a few days not 2 weeks later i thought.

Spoke to vet she said to divide up anti inflammatories among the worst and go in tomorrow first thing with everyone.

A breeder friend said wasps, as we had 46.9 degrees here yesterday and we sitting on 40 at the moment.

I was just concerned it is in the same area on every pup.

and the growth is rapid, nothing to golf ball less then 24 hrs.

Edited by Angeluca

Very odd, not vaccine related as 2 week ago, possible microchip infections???

Do the lumps go under the jaw ? possible strangles ???

Have you put anything new on the grass or floor of your puppy run?

Sorry no other suggestions.

nope isolated to the back of the neck from what i tell start from base of the neck progressing up the neck. the largest now 2 and a half in goldball size a little squishy but not much. start pretty firm.

not sore to touch, pups normal eating sleeping playing, no scratching.

I didn't notice it at first cause he is super super thick fluffy. as i don't grab them by the scruff of the neck, but i did him to stop him getting into something he shouldn't and i grab the entire thing and he screamed, once i had let go he was fine.

Didn't notice it friday when i was showing him to a family who had trouble deciding which they thought they wanted blue or green, I chose the blue for them due to independence and he is going to a uni student. green is sooky and hates being alone even for 20 mins, so he is going to a young family with an older dog.

when of course this gets sorted.

but we were picking him up cuddling, stroking his back from head to tail didn't notice anything.

I am about to bath with medicated wash, I will post photos soon.

Edited by Angeluca

YOIKS.

that is a large sized lump for little bubs :( Doesn't sound at all like wasp stings ..all in teh same area ..and so large , and just popping up. You would have noticed wasps, surely ..and the stings HURT .

Hope they are OK ... Do you have any silver colloid ? put some on the lumps, and in their water,maybe ....

nope isolated to the back of the neck from what i tell start from base of the neck progressing up the neck. the largest now 2 and a half in goldball size a little squishy but not much. start pretty firm.

not sore to touch, pups normal eating sleeping playing, no scratching.

I didn't notice it at first cause he is super super thick fluffy. as i don't grab them by the scruff of the neck, but i did him to stop him getting into something he shouldn't and i grab the entire thing and he screamed, once i had let go he was fine.

Didn't notice it friday when i was showing him to a family who had trouble deciding which they thought they wanted blue or green, I chose the blue for them due to independence and he is going to a uni student. green is sooky and hates being alone even for 20 mins, so he is going to a young family with an older dog.

when of course this gets sorted.

but we were picking him up cuddling, stroking his back from head to tail didn't notice anything.

I am about to bath with medicated wash, I will post photos soon.

and nothing added, poles were moved (trampoline frame) and wedged between a horizontal downpipe and wall that they were starting to get stuck between

(too adventurous for their own good) but that was about 8 days ago.

a new herbal conditioner but that was about 10 days ago,

a new stuffed toy about 5 days ago,

we have ants on the move at the moment but they been doing that for the past 4 weeks.

tried chicken necks 7 days ago.

sardines they've had multiple times.

on advanced puppy since 3 weeks, (mum was very poor started weening at this stage) on boxing day could get advanced had royal canin for 3 days, been back on advanced over 7 days.

I got no idea what else.

Sounds like something infectious maybe, have you taken their temperatures?

Oops, just realised it is only one lump per puppy, I first read it as more coming up. Surely has to be related to the vet work then, I hope they have an explanation for you.

Edited by Diva

no one has any cuts, sores, rashes or broken skin on or near the lumps. Nothing unusual under snout or neck.

Just 1 lump back of neck.

hoping the eliminates strangles.

Friend recently had one puppy in a litter diagnosed with "cellulitis" at vaccination site, kept puppy a bit longer but all OK and gone to new home

no one has any cuts, sores, rashes or broken skin on or near the lumps. Nothing unusual under snout or neck.

Just 1 lump back of neck.

hoping the eliminates strangles.

Friend recently had one puppy in a litter diagnosed with "cellulitis" at vaccination site, kept puppy a bit longer but all OK and gone to new home

was there broken skin or just a lump?, all the images i've seen show broken skin and sores. my guys don't even have a rash?

it still seems to me a result of injecting something ... being all in such a precise spot .

..and I would be jumping up & down on the vet's doorstep first thing tomorrow !!

It is well worth investigation - for a reason of future incidents /reactions to reagents etc when injected with stuff if they get ill ...... poor little mites :( :( That is just awful :(

..that much swelling will be causing some damage to cells of all sorts :*(

Edited by persephone

I would say that this is related to injection sites.

I dont vaccinate and microchip at the same time. Vaccinations are done first and then 10 days later microchips are inserted.

I always try to get the vaccinations slightly to one side so that if there ever is a reaction ït's less likely to be close to the microchip site.

By the size of the swelling I would suspect that this is not related to vaccination but is more like a foreign body reaction ie microchip !

Because it's in multiple animals there is possibley a problem with the batch that was used.

It would be interesting to see if the vet has had any other similar cases.

Edit for spelling

Edited by Wundahoo

spoke to the vet about that yesterday, never a case result if microchips, but a few vaccine reaction problem is these present within 5 days of actually getting done.

lump was first noticed 12 days after vaccs and chips. 1 pup presented a reasonable size lump on saturday with check over the others none appeared to have any, 24 hours later all have lumps ranging from pea - golf ball excluding the original pup the previous day which is probably just shy of tennis ball which wasn't noticeable 1 day before that. now it can't be missed.

1 pup was homed on Friday. I am trying to get hold of them to see if he has presented anything.

The whole situation is strange. And I am freaking out.

All the exact same spot? hereditary?

I probably would freak out a bit as well ...:hug: I would be disappointed/worried/angry/confused..and absolutely determined to explore all causalities!

Working at a vets we would always get owners phone or visit reporting lumps after vaccs..usually a fibrous lump..pea sized or such ..and it would not be at all painful ...

when we used to use certain stitches on certainm dogs they wouldreact with ginormous fluid lumps - often requiring draining ..and ,of course a note on their charts to NOT use that material on/in them again.

I do hope the vet realises that this is something which needs much investigating - and of course, fixing . Good luck in teh morning .... poor babies.

Did your vet swab the area prior to injecting the chip?

Did you see your usual vet? junior vet?

I wonder if the lump was lanced and cleaned if a microchip would pop out, sorry just curious?

No need to apologize,

It was discussed if it increase in size or didn't improve with current treatment. green's lump would definitely be including micro chip area, which they said would taken out cleaned tested and re inserted, i'm not sure if that would be same spot or another. however the others I don't think are actually where the micro chip should be so not sure what happens then.

Still waiting on the other pup's owners to get back to find out if all 9 have it or just the 8 that were here on Saturday.

It is not normal for every pup to react I didn't think or such a delayed reaction to vaccine or microchip by every pup then all show symptoms with 24 hours of each other.

Really hoping the boy who is homed is clear indication it is more likely something environmental that happened between Friday afternoon and this morning. It gives me something to look for and get rid of. I feel so useless right now.

I held every pup and saw all equipment used every needle used once and packet sealed. She is a senior vet, All pups were bathed the day before and i'm 90% sure she swabbed all pups before any insertion. (I was getting the next pup ready or returning the previous one to the crates). I'm not concerned with her abilities in such a simple procedure.

Dr google has been more useless then normal.

Edited by Angeluca