Akitas Growth Stopped

Crablord

Hi there. I've got an 8 month old akita. Up until 7 months he was growing really well. But it's now been almost a month and he's still 38kg. He's been that weight for a month. I got it from a registered breeder and his dad was roughly 50.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a giant breed expert but all the ones I have spoken to say you want growth to be slow. If they grow too fast they put pressure on their still forming, still soft bones. I wouldn't worry at all. Aren't they meant to take about 2 years to get to their adult size?

So it's normal that he's remained the same weight for a month? I just compare it to my friends and he's 1 month older at 45kg

speak to your breeder not your friend, you're dog sounds fine, it's not a competition to get the heaviest dog, quickest.

Here's the standard LINK there is no weight recommendation in the standard.

So it's normal that he's remained the same weight for a month? I just compare it to my friends and he's 1 month older at 45kg

Bigger is not always better ;)

unless they have the same parents ,and have had exactly the same upbringing... why expect them to be the same sizes?

If he's not starving then he will be what he will be. Just because dad was 50kg doesnt mean his sons and daughters will be. I have a 27kg dog whos father was 45kg, and a dog who's turned out bigger then both parents. Genetics isn't linear :)

45kg for a 9 month old Akita seems really huge though I'd be worried about the joints if the dog is not quite lean

You want your puppy lean, not the heaviest. One may be faster to mature than the other.

I worry about bones and joints in puppy's where they are on the heavier end of their weight range. Akitas are a large breed but to me not a giant one, if you wanted the biggest dog then you should have look at bigger breeds like Mastiffs etc.

They should be well filled out and fit for their frame, not for what the scales say.

Edited by OSoSwift

I found quite a good run down on Akita weight, it does emphasis that their weight gain will vary but gives you an idea of what to expect. It also says that from about 36kg their weight gain slows and they won't reach their full size until age 3.

http://www.akita-dog.com/Akita_Weight.html

Depends on the lines as to what age they will be when they fully mature. Some Akitas are done for height by age 1 especially some of the smaller ones and some take longer but on average it is somewhere around 18 months to 2 years.

Treble is almost a year old and he is still rather lanky but weighs in at 45kg he has been between 33-45kg since he was around 7 months old. I wouldn't really be concerned that your dog isn't putting on weight as long as he looks trim and there aren't other things that are cause for concern. The best person to ask about what to expect regarding your dog is your breeder :)

--Lhok

Giant breeds grow quite slowly and Akitas keep growing/filling out until they are a few years old. 45kgs at 9 months is quite large. I can't remember when Kyojin hit 50kg, but I don't think he was very young. I know it then took a long time before he cracked 55kg.

• 3 weeks later...

IMO , he has another 12 mths or so of growing to do yet !! I think your vet is a bit off the mark , sorry .

have you spoken with his breeder? They would be the ones who know what his lines grow like/how fast .... they will have records of parents/grandparents etc , and how much they grew ...

I can't speak for akitas ..but our koolies/kelpies go thru a lean stage during pup/teen transition ... where nothing much happens, then the muscle gets laid down and an adult shape appears ..and no, I do not measure/weigh .. I see/feel the results ;)

if you are really concerned , perhaps get blood tests done to measure hormone levels, etc .........his body will grow when it will .. I don't think he's read the book on how much he should put on each week ;)

Can you get to an akita club/show? Folks there could help you understand...