Just A Small Question...why Does My Dog Always Lie In The Opposite Dir

Castiel

Ok so this might sounds silly but it's just a small thing I'm curious about. When my dog (mini fox terrier cross) lies down next to or near me, he always lies facing away from me. Like in bed, he'll always have his head towards the foot of the bed, or if we're lying on the couch he will always face in the opposite direction. And if I try to turn him around he'll stay in the position I put him in for a minute, then go back to facing away from me again. It's obviously not a big deal or anything but I was just wondering if it's a thing that all dogs do or if there's a reason behind it? :)

Edited by Castiel

My female lies like that too. Our male will sit with his back to us. Doesn't help that my husband has 'trained' him to do that by scratching his back when he does it - I don't think anything of it and consider it a quirk.

My thought is that dogs generally face/position themselves so they can see what's coming ie backs to walls and face towards the doorways. Natures way of helping them protect themselves and their loved ones. People often do the same thing, furniture is set up this way, so you end up facing the same way, not towards one another.

Highly pack focused dogs will face their owners fully focused for often long periods of time, particularly if they think that work or a reward might be coming. But when completely at rest they will relax and watch to see what might be coming.

In bed it can also often be a heat factor.

Edited by dyzney

I think it's dogs own preference. Sometimes mine faces me, sometimes not, mostly she will put her back next to me but not always. usually she will have at least one paw or other bit of her touching me. She does like to sleep with her head on my pillow but that doesn't happen at bedtime - she's in her own bed then because I wriggle too much and she chews herself too much (I hate that). She tried a stretch with her paws all up against me and pushed herself off the bed in the process - so she hasn't tried that again.

Mine are all variable. Tara is the funniest. When its hot she lies on her back with her legs in the air. Sometimes she paddles her front legs like she is doing doggy paddle except that she is flat on her back. Its when she is awake too not in dreaming.

Mine tend to either go for the feet, or lie with butt toward my head. I've always figured this had something to do with avoiding disturbance by arms when I toss and turn. Sometimes they start out with head close in, but then migrate out of the arm zone.

LOL - I thought of this thread last night (or early this morning rather). I had to get up to go to the bathroom and when I climbed back into bed, Jeune had disappeared under the sheet. She came tunneling up to be cuddled, but, as usual, when I tried to settle down with her head on my shoulder, she struggled to get into the position she prefers which further down the bed, back against me and face away. If that had been Danny or Myrtie, they would have happily stayed in cuddle position.