Cost Of Hip Scoring

leopuppy04

How much do you pay for your hip/ elbow scores? A puppy buyer of mine is getting the hips x-rayed (not read) before they commence agility trialling to make sure everything is ok. They have been quoted in excess of $600 from a vet clinic that I am positive did my last hip/elbow reading at under $400. Given the x-rays aren't being sent away for a reading, I'd hardly expect a $600 fee to be correct. What are others paying? Secondly in Melbourne - what would your recommendation of vets be that do good x rays for hip scoring?

Monash in Melbourne is highly regarded for hip and elbow X-rays. I had 2 GSDs done there late last year after they both had bad X-rays done elsewhere and for the 2 it was just over $700

I pay significantly more than the average for my dogs' xrays, but I am OK with that.

I am happy with my vet, their attention to anaesthesia, positioning and they allow me to be there with my dog.

Results have been excellent and readers have forwarded comments to my vet for their expertise and skill in positioning and radiography.

Gotta be thrilled with that and would take that over saving some bucks any day, but that's just me :)

How much do you pay for your hip/ elbow scores? A puppy buyer of mine is getting the hips x-rayed (not read) before they commence agility trialling to make sure everything is ok. They have been quoted in excess of $600 from a vet clinic that I am positive did my last hip/elbow reading at under $400. Given the x-rays aren't being sent away for a reading, I'd hardly expect a $600 fee to be correct. What are others paying? Secondly in Melbourne - what would your recommendation of vets be that do good x rays for hip scoring?

Have used Ray Ferguson at Monash for years, used to have scores done by Wyburn before he retired, now use Rawlinson, been s couple of years but last lot I had two done and it was under $800 all up

One who has been doing xrays for hip/elbows etc for years is Craigieburn Vet - Michael Bell - he has been working with the greyhound breeders for years and really knows his stuff.

Cost is about $360 and pretty sure that included the scores being done - Michael can check the xray and give a description - matched the official readings down pat. Had the official results emailed in a couple of days and paperwork back probably within a week.

You should advise them to get official reading done... doesnt really cost extra and good for your breeding to know the official results.

I used to travel down to Werribee but in future will use Craigieburn.

Edited by alpha bet

Thanks everyone. I have booked her in for x ray and scoring at my local vet. The reason it was weird is I was quoted one price from the vet ($380) and she was quoted another ($500) as she wasn't a registered breeder. That's all well and good but still odd...

Anyway- all is sorted now for a much more reasonable price :).