Preparing For Next Weeks Severe To Extreme Heat...

westiemum

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a warning everyone. I am now sitting under a ceiling fan only, no aircon cause the water has been cut. So even if you think you'll be right it pays to plan ahead. I thought to myself yesterday, should have the cool coats wet and stored for just in case. Well just in case has happened and I am having to get my daughter to bring me water over to wet down the coats as I don't want to use the drinking water I do have in the fridge on the coats as we all need to stay hydrated.

Rename that is terrible. Dogs at home with airco. I have a dog door but it is too high so fergs doesn't use it normally . He went out yesterday and couldn't get back in . I've left water and ice outside just in case it happens today. If they've both stayed inside they should be fine .

I might have to invest in a portable air con, the house is roasting :(. The 3 border collies are outside for the night as it is cooler out there than in here. Poor little Harri is puffing away. He won't be impressed when I go get his cool coat.

Just another idea if you are in a rental. We picked up a really old box type in the wall refrigerated aircon for $30 still working. We sat it on a high table outside our loungeroom window so that we could slide the window open and pull the front of the aircon and the plug inside and leave the back sitting outside the window, then we just blocked the gap above it with a piece of plywood cut to size, it was our saviour during the Black Saturday period.

thanks for that Lisa CC

The one I have I got about 8 years ago

as it takes both cold water or warm depending which needed at the time

when use it in summer can use little ice cubes and cold water in it and it stays cool for long time and doesnt get damp

I am constantly freezing the ice blocks and using it in their water bowls

those portable air cons they are great but make a heck of a lot of noise , very noisey ,

We did that once kelpiecuddles on a table in window until had it installed correctly , and worked like a charm

Glad mentioned about the misting fans as was telling mum about them

last summer heard some of the older people didnt like using air cons and they use iced water in a hot water bottle and place in bed and that apparently kept them cool , might work for puppies or smaller dogs

Edited by Tara and Sam

I am so impressed yesterday , just before lunch I put an icebrick (large ..about 30 cm x 30 cm X 3 cm ) into two pillowcases , and left it sitting where the pups are ..just on damp ground ..shaded .

When I picked it up to re freeze late last night ..it still had ICE in it!! That was outside, in 45 degrees!!

A portable refrigerated air conditioner does not need water, it works the same way as your refrigerater does. Portable air coolers require water and they are not nearly as efficient as a refrigerated unit. A refrigerated unit works best in a closed room whereas an air cooler needs to be in an open room. I wouldn't waste money on an air cooler, I would go for a refrigerated unit.

Just thought I would mention this so people are aware of the difference if they're in the market for a portable unit.

Ok I officially died last night. First summer ever in my entire life where I've not been living in a brick house. Oh Brick how I miss thee! :(

I'm on a solution finding mission today, need to call bunnings and see if they have any portable aircon units, if that fails then it's a call to masters to get them to put aside a misting fan. And I don't even care that my OH wears glasses, it's mostly for sleeping and I figure he doesn't need to see at night :p

We do actually have a wall aircon unit in the living area but as we can't shut off that part of the house it did absolutely jack last night

Doggies are suffering as well, I heard one of them vomit about 4 in the morning, not sure why, they both seem fine otherwise. They got hosed down before leaving this morning, today I'll be heading home around 10.30 to check on them and OH is taking half the day off to stay with them this afternoon. We'll probably end up swapping afternoon shifts for the rest of the week.

...did I mention I miss brick

another tip is to make sure your windows are insulated in the really hot days, prevent heat getting in and cool from getting out

a cheap way to do this is to buy some "space blankets" from a camping supplies shop, a pack of 4 is usually <$10.

the space blankets are really large, one should cover a window, they are thin like cellophane so easy to tape against the inside of your windows. They are also a little bit see through so the house wont be in total darkness