Preparing For Next Weeks Severe To Extreme Heat...

westiemum

LG you're right - to an extent. The weather here is fabulous for probably all but a month or so in total a year. Then for 4-6 weeks it's absolutely shitful. I love autumn, winter and spring here - just glorious - and early summer is usually OK too - it's usually January and early February when the heat is bad. Although to be honest, I still prefer fierce dry heat to lower temp/high humidity that I lived in in Darwin for 18 years. I loved Darwin as a kid and young adult. But now I'm in my 50's I find that level of heat and humidity unbearable. Growing up here in the 60's embarrass.gif the houses suited the climate - but you're right - it is getting warmer so we rely much much more on aircon these days - and ducted not split system!

Edited by westiemum

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is ducted when it is built into the house? If it is, I have several friends up here with ducted but I find their houses a bit stifling and airless. I don't think they ever open their windows even when the weather is mild. I guess like any system though you can increase air flow and change the temp. They are probably used to it but I don't mind a nice natural breeze when it is available!

Stay safe everyone and keep your eye on your neighbours too. L

Funny you should say that LG - I came home after work last night to Mum's house and noticed her 95 year old neighbour's newspaper was still on his path. Mum hadn't noticed as she hadn't been out in the heat all day. He has no family that we know of. I told Mum (retired RN) who immediately went in to check. He has early dementia and so was lying on his bed in flannel PJs, no fan, air-con off and looked to be in a bad way although not in crisis. After no answer from the Housing SA emergency number and not bring able to find a number to call an ambulance without triggering a full blown emergency through 000 we rang police assistance who rang the ambulance people to come and check on him without triggering a full blown emergency response.

Two lovely ambo guys arrived who Mum introduced to her very elderly neighbour and she 'persuaded' him to let them in (usually he won't let any strangers in - even police). Turns out he was OK - obs normal - just needed some minor re-hydration orally - but they commented that he was lucky to have Mum looking out for him.

It made me wonder two things - how many other elderly people have no-one looking out for them in this heat? And how do you get through to an ambulance service after hours in circumstances like these without ringing 000 where someone really needs medical checking but it's not an emergency? confused.gif I'm just pleased I thought to ring police assistance for advice who were able to help.

1390026012[/url]' post='6398597']

Is ducted when it is built into the house? If it is, I have several friends up here with ducted but I find their houses a bit stifling and airless. I don't think they ever open their windows even when the weather is mild. I guess like any system though you can increase air flow and change the temp. They are probably used to it but I don't mind a nice natural breeze when it is available!

Yep LG ducted is built in with vents in the ceiling of most rooms. Yes it can be a bit airless - so in the house I'm building I've built in as much cross ventilation as the council would permit ( they wouldn't allow some of it the idiots - might upset the neighbours,) but it will still have reverse cycle ducted with a gas heater in the main living area. So although expensive to set-up in the first place, it should be fairly flexible and energy efficient in the long run - particularly with solar panels. smile.gif

Well

Thankfully that is over for awhile before we hit those temps again

was starting to think poor Tynka wasnt going to get through it

even when the cool change came through house was still hot ,

it was a freaky day thats for sure , with the heat and then the thunder storm and then humid

I still had the fan on over night for Tynka to keep her cool

Glad to hear you had some cool nights for the westies

was listening to the radio last night and the amount of fire warnings put over was terrible to hear

Glad to hear your gran got through it Noishe

Little Gifts - I remember talking to mum once when we had a heat wave few years back , and she grew up in the Riverland

and in those days they lived in a tin shed

only way to cook was with wood stove , no electricity and no fans

slept outside , kept cool by going into river and sitting under fruit trees and grapevines

Westiemum ring the 000 number and they will send out the Paramedics first ,( depending on what they think ) I know they have done that a few times I called them for a elderly neighbour who I was checking on and once for me

Glad to hear everyone and their animals made it through this heatwave

Ah thanks guys - didn't know that and will remember for next time. Unfortunately with a 95 year old with early dementia there's sure to be a next time. frown.gif

BTW does anyone know if we are in for anymore of this extreme heat this summer?

Finally getting that cool change here. Only 35 tomorrow!

We didn't get it this arvo, instead it was still 40 when the dry thunderstorm hit and winds started. Now closely watching the fires which have sprung up around the area. One on Tumbarumba road (heading towards the Snowy Mountains) being evacuated. I was supposed to have a days work on a sheep stud up there come Monday, the way it's going I think that won't be happening, I hope their property is alright. frown.gif

Edited by LisaCC

My two week old Bulldog babies are all chilled out over a wine bladder filled with water and frozen. Double sheet underneath them and bladder wrapped in a large plastic bag

Cooled boiled water also during the day. keep checking the coolness of their bed to make sure it is not too cold.

Happy babies

Another unbearably hot night tonight and I can't sleep. (And tomorrow's going to be ridiculously hot.)

At least I got to see the moon and Venus in the sky together...

My Pug bought a dead rat inside 30 minutes ago. One of those ginormous, country-sized rats. That's how I got to see the moon and Venus, while disposing of the rat.

Time for a shower with the Pug I think.

*sigh* here we go again ..........low/mid 40's for a week . :( :(

glad everyone survived the last one ok ....

I will def be phoning my Dad each day again, and reminding him to DRINK .... trying to not yell when he says at lunchtime - I have been drinking, I had a cup of tea ..... :mad

Take care, folks.

Edited by persephone

Yeah, last night was hot, i didnt think it would stay that hot so i didnt bother with the AC so just had the fan going last night. Tomorrow is supposed to be low 20's here and then mid 30's for the rest of the week. I forsee a very hot pug in our house this week.

We only have AC in the bedroom and when i leave it going for him while we are out he doesnt go in there. He likes to sleep as close the front door as possible and the bedroom is at the back of the house. Silly puggy!

Oh well, at least he is getting used to baths. On hot nights I have been giving him a wet down and he used to hate them, now he puts his feet up on the side of the bath waiting for me to lift him in.

:cry: hate it. Another revolting & boring day hiding inside with all cats & dogs.

Cancelled my medical appointment for this afternoon.

Trying to console myself with the fact that I have air con & don't have to go out at all but its not working.

Off to wallow in self pity.

45 degrees or so is not fun.

Edited by Christina

and unfortunately I have important appointments Wed.. so a very hot and horrible day ahead (car has no aircon)

Forecast for Wednesday is 34 degrees so not as bad in comparison to the last few days.

Be careful of car overheating. 5 days before xmas mine did it & blew the head at 9 in the morning :cry: New/recon motor $1,960 :eek:

First time I have gone out in extreme heat for 20 years, thinking so early it wont get hot yet. Wrong.

Its 37 degrees under my pergola already today.