Preparing For Next Weeks Severe To Extreme Heat...

westiemum

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gorgeous Pers!

I just tried using a regular fan blowing air over a sheet of techni ice. It's noticeably cooler and will get some good use this week.

I'm feeling appreciated :)

D5EC03A4-9ADF-41F2-AD43-0344A82C4C17_zpszs8oorvh.jpg

:laugh: :laugh:

We'd been doing fine all heat wave but last.night our house just wouldn't cool down and I woke up at about 1 AM to pup panting frantically and burning up :(. I tried wetting a tea towel and laying it down on.the tiles in front of the fireplace but she didn't quite understand and wouldn't lay down on it so I triedwrapped her in the wet towel and went and got a fan from the garage. Turns out the fan was in the garage because its broken and you have to wait ten minutes for other to get going! In the mean time i tried to bring her body temp down by soaking another towel in icy chilled water and then wrapping it around a freezer brick and putting that underneath her while feeding her ice cubes so that she got hydrated. She cooled down pretty quick and i got the fan to work so we just fell asleep infront of that but poor puppy is really sick of the heat! Bring tomorrow is all I can say.

Be careful wrapping in ice or putting ice on an overheated dog, cooling them down too quickly can be just as dangerous as overheating.

One of my pugs was hot last night so I put her in a cool bath and she lay on the floorboards to sleep (she tried snuggling up to me but thankfully after about 10 minutes moved to the floor lol)

I wrapped the ice bricks in a tea towel and only put it on her intermittently for a few minutes until the fan started working and she could cool herself down but yeah I probably went a bit over the top trying to cool her down but she seemed really distressed so I panicked. Thanks for the advice though... hopefully it does not get that hot for a while ickk

The cool change and wind is just divine, I have opened every door and window. I have been sick with stress being paranoid about bushfires

Same here, not far from you either Casowner. Down to 23ºC atm and it's beautiful. Doggo got all excited as he got to go out for a run.

In regards to fires. My Nan has been evacuated to Swan reach as she lives at Sedan...fires expected to hit Sedan at 10pm....in 30 mins to hit Cambrai. 4am Angaston :(

The cool change and wind is just divine, I have opened every door and window. I have been sick with stress being paranoid about bushfires

Same here, not far from you either Casowner. Down to 23ºC atm and it's beautiful. Doggo got all excited as he got to go out for a run.

In regards to fires. My Nan has been evacuated to Swan reach as she lives at Sedan...fires expected to hit Sedan at 10pm....in 30 mins to hit Cambrai. 4am Angaston :(

Most of my relatives are from Mannum through to Swan Reach it is such a horrible time :(

I was up at the new house on Tuesday and saw the lightning strikes and was visibly shaking and then the smoke started, it was the OTH fire but it looked like it was just over the ridge I was actually thinking about you across the valley

My animals are so much happier too, my old mini has really struggled :(

My husband has been out for over 12 ours now for CFS. He said this morning before he headed off he wasn't sure what time he would make it home. And that was before it all really went downhill. I am just thankful that he works behind the scenes in planning, support, communications and logistics. I don't know how the loved 1s of those out there in it feel, I am stressed enough and I know he is in a safe location.

We had quite a wind, thunder and lightning display as the cool change came through here last night. At last the aircon is off and it's a balmy 26 degrees this morning - up to 'only' 30 today. Hallelujah!

Will head back to the house - sit late this afternoon. I'm soooo grateful to my darling mother for having us all 4 of us in her tiny unit for three nights. The westies are fine after their heat stress on Monday and Tuesday. And Mum's cat has coped too. So all good. Just hope that's the end of it for this summer.

Edited by westiemum

All was ok here, got to sleep around 4am. There was a grass fire on Verrall Road, base siren went off, assuming that was due to lightning and not arsonists like the OTH fire.

Had packed suitcases and documents in readiness, just had an eerie weird feeling...which I've never had before living here. Was just going to leave with the animals and packed stuff if I had to.

Nan got to go back to her house in Sedan at 2:30am - her house was ok but smells of smoke. They have no power up there and none in the immediate future as power lines were burnt etc.

Couldn't have the comp on due to lightning, but had the portable radio on 891 and it was horrible listening to all the fires going on. Was one long freaky night :(

I had to go from Mannum to Birdwood this morning about 8.30'am and going over Palmer hill it was drizzly and foggy!! and trees down everywhere. Came home over Cooks Hill and that fire was sooooo close to Sanderston, and the entire hills right through to Angaston-Sedan are blackened. It's a vast area. At 10.30am it was eerily foggy and misty over Cooks hill still! So weird. I can only imagine the nightmarish night the people out there had. Noishe your gran must be so stressed and worn out :( . As we turned at death corner and drove back towards Mannum, we realized just how lucky we were with the wind. My ex lives on Ridley Rd (sedan Rd ) just out of Mannum. As we were heading back there were a bunch of SAPN resources heading to the area so hopefully your gran and everyone else will have some power soon.

Stay safe everyone. not out of the woods yet. It's 30 and sunny out here now, and still a bit windy.

I'm so sorry for all the stresses you guys have gone through. I think SA is the most picturesque of states and the people are lovely but when your weather turns nasty it really does a number on you. Four seasons in one day. I sometimes feel a lot of your houses have been built/designed more for cold English weather than northern heatwaves. At least in Qld we know what kind of day we are in for as soon as we get out of bed. And anyone who builds a house up here from scratch is mad to not put fans and split system air con in.

Stay safe everyone and keep your eye on your neighbours too.