Preparing For Next Weeks Severe To Extreme Heat...

westiemum

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how correct it is but my weather app is telling me it's still 40 outside. I went out to put the bins out and urgh, horrible.

Went swimming in the river this morning before it got too hot and then Nova has spent the rest of the day inside in the Air-conditioning, and on his cool mat.

Yesterday I tried leaving him outside for a bit with some frozen bottles. He just ate them instead!! Sardine iceblocks were a much better idea!

1536743_10151838169461714_2003361917_n.jpg

OK - my darling mother has come to the rescue and has taken pity on all four of us despite the fact she lives in a tiny unit. I tried to hire a portable air conditioner, tried stayz and takeabreak (nothing affordable left), tried almost every caravan park with air conditioned cabins in Adelaide, even tried a couple of hotels which are pet friendly but they understandably wouldn't have three dogs. Even looked at places in the Adelaide Hills. Thank goodness for mothers. thumbsup1.gif

After we arrived, Sarah immediately jumped up on my 'bed' and positioned herself under the aircon and went out like a light. Andy followed her shortly afterwards. Mac of course made himself quite at home on the mothers bed! Just took them all outside for a bedtime wee and it's like a furnace out there still - 37 degrees according to my weather app. frown.gif

Anyway I'm off to bed hopefully for my first decent nights sleep in two days.

Keep cool everyone.

Edited by westiemum

Great news Westiemum, enjoy your cool nights sleep.

Have to say those extreme summer heatwaves are one thing I don't miss about Melbourne at all! It's only hit around 35 here this week, I'm feeling lucky although as we don't have aircon at work and I work in a big tin oven shed I am thinking I'll take a spare workshirt with me tomorrow to throw on at lunch time to help me feel a little bit refreshed.

Sarah is feeling better today which is good, no vomits since yesterday morning. We finally managed to get the living room aircon working effectively yesterday and a newly purchased portable aircon unit as well as some over the counter sleeping pills meant I actually got a decent nights sleep :p

I have the afternoon shift for Sarah watch today and get to work from home in the stinking heat. VIC power people are saying we'll probably be experiencing rolling blackouts today so the power grid doesn't get over burdened. Fingers crossed it either happens this morning at home, or after I cool the place down this afternoon, or not at all.

Work will be fine as there's a CFA office below so we have plenty of backup power sources for the building.

Glad Sarah is doing better Leah - extreme heat and vomiting combined can be really worrying.

The westies are in doggy daycare again today. Yesterday Mac got his usual midday sleep ('grandpa nap' laugh.gif) with one of the owners - spolit boy - I think she's taken quite a shine to him. And last night I slept in the cool on the lounge at Mums having taken a pill. So feel much better at work today. Hope everyone is coping. Roll on Saturday.

1389824956[/url]' post='6396553']

Just a thought ... would employers allow people to bring susceptible dogs to work?

It's a good idea DD - but I doubt it. Most workplaces would be frightened of an influx and the WHS implications and probably think working from home is a better option.smile.gif

Edited by westiemum

The cooling bandana's re good for oldies or braccy breeds too

If anyone needs cooling bandana's we have them in stock and the moment and will post asap.

http://www.tailwagsthedog.com.au/designer-cool-it-bandana-291.html

Hope everyone's dogs can get cool and that this heat wave goes away very soon.

I saw people walking their dogs in the middle of the day yesterday argh made me so mad.

1389824956[/url]' post='6396553']

Just a thought ... would employers allow people to bring susceptible dogs to work?

It's a good idea DD - but I doubt it. Most workplaces would be frightened of an influx and the WHS implications and probably think working from home us a better option.smile.gif

I can take mine to work, but no one gets much work done :p

If anyone needs cooling bandana's we have them in stock and the moment and will post asap.

http://www.tailwagsthedog.com.au/designer-cool-it-bandana-291.html

I saw people walking their dogs in the middle of the day yesterday argh made me so mad.

I was looking at cooling bandanas the other day, every time I buy them they never fit the pugs chunky necks. Do reckon the large would fit around a pug without being so 'big' that it hung down to the ground?

http://www.tailwagst...andana-291.html

I was looking at cooling bandanas the other day, every time I buy them they never fit the pugs chunky necks. Do reckon the large would fit around a pug without being so 'big' that it hung down to the ground?

What size is your pug's neck?

Large Estimate Sizing: 18" - 23" (5 1/2" Velcro Strip)

Medium Estimate Sizing: 12" - 16" (4 1/2" Velcro Strip)

Email me if you like [email protected]

I'm not sure, they don't wear collars :laugh:

I'm just concerned the larger ones would hang down further, but if the only difference is the neck length then it should be ok. I'll measure them tonight anyway. The heat here isn't any different to normal anyway, I'm just bored and dog shopping.

I'm not sure, they don't wear collars :laugh:

I'm just concerned the larger ones would hang down further, but if the only difference is the neck length then it should be ok. I'll measure them tonight anyway. The heat here isn't any different to normal anyway, I'm just bored and dog shopping.

By all means shop away with us then :thumbsup:

I considered asking if I could bring Sarah into the office instead but I didn't want to risk her vomiting or having diarrhea in the office :p

Physical injuries are probably ok to manage in the office, internal illnesses probably need to stay at home

Plus something like heat stress would turn into a free for all for every to bring in their pets and chaos would ensue

Edited by Leah82