Preparing For Next Weeks Severe To Extreme Heat...

westiemum

Just a thought ... would employers allow people to bring susceptible dogs to work?

I sometimes take my Pug to work on hot days.

My house is well insulated and if it's say 42 outside it's only 24 inside. But during a heatwave like this the heat builds up and it gets to 28, which is too hot for my Pug. 24 C is my limit.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear you and fur kids got some releif Westie

I used a cool bandana on my CKCS and she ended up with leg caught up in it as it slipped around on her , will have to adjust hers

didnt get much bellow 35C last night , until this morning then crept back up again quickly

even with air con late arfternoons /early evening it starts to sruggle and then starts my panick attacks :(

then read this on news

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/un-report-says-temperatures-in-adelaide-will-make-it-worlds-hottest-city-on-thursday/story-fnl1ee8j-1226802735418

stay cool everyone

Seriously considering a sickie today.. Yeuch too warm

I thought about it too but the air con is my office is WAY better than at home. If it wasn't for the dogs being out in it, I would have stayed at work until they locked up. LOL.

eta: I can get away with taking a dog in during school holidays but I wouldn't get away with all 3 and I can't just take 1, that wouldn't be fair.

Edited by piper

I'm lucky that none of my lot mind storms. The dogs had frozen chicken frames for dinner - bliss apparently! They've had cool coats on half the day when the air con just wasn't coping and I ended up wetting the cats down several times - Lilly really enjoyed it and Dizzy barely protested - they just flopped in front of the nearest fan.

..ah yes... 45 degrees - let a couple of the dogs go so they can find somewhere cooler .. hear lots of noise - and of course they are off up the paddock 'playing' with the pet sheep & goat !!

The two puppies we have ..almost 3 weeks old are doing it easy //they are outside on damp sand ..have their icebrick , and have learned to lap a little water from a bowl ..they too are playing !

Their mum went & caught herself a rabbit this morning!!

Old Gert is inside sometimes, and outside sometimes ... Dougal cat has to literally be thrown outside to toilet twice a day .. otherwise he is lying in the bathroom under the bath :)

I so wish we humans coped half as well......

Thoughts to everyone plodding along ... it is horrible.

:laugh: Good idea perse! They aren't big bowls but they work quite well in keeping water cool and meat in food bowls sort of fresh and ANT FREE!!! I'll continue using them in winter just to keep the ants away :D

Im so lucky my girls love playing in water, so having a kiddie pool is the best thing for them.

They are happy to go out in the backyard and splash around in the pool on their own. Then they come running inside and jumping on the lounge all wet!! haha at least they are keeping themselves cool!

and this pool has collapsable sides so I know there is no chance for either of them getting stuck in the pool. Specially because the youngest is only 15 weeks is is a lot shorter.. haha

a7da579a750411e3923e129d74b0bf51_6.jpg

7d2572e6750411e385160e143fb0ebac_6.jpg

Edited by Sares

We'd been doing fine all heat wave but last.night our house just wouldn't cool down and I woke up at about 1 AM to pup panting frantically and burning up :(. I tried wetting a tea towel and laying it down on.the tiles in front of the fireplace but she didn't quite understand and wouldn't lay down on it so I triedwrapped her in the wet towel and went and got a fan from the garage. Turns out the fan was in the garage because its broken and you have to wait ten minutes for other to get going! In the mean time i tried to bring her body temp down by soaking another towel in icy chilled water and then wrapping it around a freezer brick and putting that underneath her while feeding her ice cubes so that she got hydrated. She cooled down pretty quick and i got the fan to work so we just fell asleep infront of that but poor puppy is really sick of the heat! Bring tomorrow is all I can say.

We've just been hosing our dogs down at very regular intervals and they seem to be doing ok as a result (after a few up chucks on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning)

They're getting hosed...

Just before bed

Before we leave in the morning

When someone gets home mid morning to let them inside

Whenever they look like they need it

Then either myself or OH has been with them in the aircon every afternoon since wednesday.

Wouldn't know what we would have been able to do if we worked further away from home, luckily we're both about 10-15 minutes away

Bring on TOMORROW!!!