Dogs Who Are Elderly, Exercise Intolerant And Fairly Immobile...

westiemum

If I see her out again I will ask her how much it was, she had it shipped from the USA.

I didn't see her often as she walked very late in the evening, and I saw her last week and her BT had passed away. :(

I could ask her if she is willing to sell it?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry to hear about her dog - it's really hard as they get older. If you feel it's an OK thing to do that would be great if you see her - thank you.

The only ones I've seen so far that seem to be the right size and have pram handles are over $300 shipped. And that's not in the budget at the moment. frown.gif

Edited by westiemum

Penny (15) is just the same WM, she will always rely on the lead being taut to help pull her along, it makes walking the dogs a chore rather than an enjoyment.

My o/h is in the process of making her a cart from a $5 garage-sale Steelcraft pram...the ones with the parcel-rack beneath the seat-part. He is removing the top (seat & hood & frame) and is going to put brackets in the parcel-rack frame to keep it sturdy.

I may will get him to attach a pulling-rod-type thing (like on golf-carts) so I can pull the trolley instead of pushing it as we have a dirt road and pulling is easier than pushing.

I will post some piccies and a diagram if it works out.

He is doing it today....he'll do anything for Penny! :D

We opted for as many short walks as possible (to the letter box and back) and to the common area near our car park when my old girl was too old for long walks. That said - we didn't have the pack to deal with just her, and sometimes her "cousin" who we would babysit. My girl never really minded being left at home when we walked Jem... so basically I'm not adding anything useful to the conversation.

So - in an attempt to be helpful - Guin used to love sitting up between my nieces and nephews in my dads bike trailer / pram.

Similar to this http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Frunbobbierun.com%2F%3Fp%3D4457&h=0&w=0&sz=1&tbnid=zKg5VHW-sTwwfM&tbnh=194&tbnw=259&zoom=1&docid=qYz7gempk0wp6M&ei=gaDQUsCXN6uFiAfYk4DwCw&ved=0CAUQsCUoAQ

and he was given that for free so maybe you'll be able to find a cheap or free jogging pram on ebay or gumtree or free cycle. Many come with seat belts you'll be able to attach a harness clip to.

Think he'd sit in this??

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/adelaide-region/prams-strollers/3-wheeler-jogger/1034686141

I bought a dog pram from eBay that is a three wheeler , like the jogging prams. It has mesh so the dog can see out but is enclosed

Pull down cover to stop the sun on their heads and room for poo bags and a parcel tray underneath. Has a clip that you can attach their lead to.Very easy to manoeuvre.

It says on the pram that it is a Starpaws design pet jogger

I made a sign and tied it to the front of the pram.

My Cavalier loved it and sat up like a Queen :) it was our saving grace as it meant we could still get out.

I bought a dog pram from eBay that is a three wheeler , like the jogging prams. It has mesh so the dog can see out but is enclosed

I saw one similar a few days ago. I thought it was a baby pram, at first. But thro' the mesh, a dog was sitting up, enjoying the ride.

I saw one similar a few days ago. I thought it was a baby pram, at first. But thro' the mesh, a dog was sitting up, enjoying the ride.

People used to look in the pram and get a surprise when they saw a dog

Mine is also collapsible and is very roomy

I have also been thinking of something similar to take my girl out in

was thinking of the garden trolly , but as advised maybe harder to steer and guide

just as a thought maybe a shopping trolly

similar to these and can cut down the bag to what size you need

not overly expensive but might do the job

http://www.ebay.com.au/bhp/shopping-trolley-bag

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Shopping-Trolley-Cooler-Bag-/151206816262#ht_536wt_922

this one would be easy enough to cut a hole lower down under the zip area and can still have the top part for shade if needed or undo it as per shown

My only advice if you are trying to make your own is to consider movement space for your dogs and the ability of the fabrics to stand stiffly rather than collapse in on your dog. I think it would be quite scary to feel like you were trapped inside a collapsing bag if the fabric was too floppy, especially if the dog's movements caused it to kind of dip in while you were wheeling them. If using a steel shopping trolley then I would also be concerned about making sure it is well padded around the steel mesh. Imagine an old dog bumping against steel or getting a nail caught. Proper dog prams are made of fairly stiff but lightweight materials to restrain your dog, provide air flow and which are easily washable. The light frame is designed to maintain space for the dog to move around in. The sides are also up higher than babies prams to stop your dog from jumping out. I reckon check on ebay and gumtree for secondhand ones to keep the costs down rather than make your own and have a dogastrophe out in public.

This is me a la Peimy Whinehouse at Woofstock last year saying hello to this beautiful old boy in his stroller.

Gorgeous Little Gifts. :thumbsup:

I bought a new wheelbarrow recently and thought it might be of interest to those who are a bit DIYish. I'm certainly not, but I can see its potential as a doggy buggy :laugh: :laugh:. It is very manouvreable and easy to either push or pull. It is 64x68cms and with padding and shade could be very comfortable. The only thing wrong is that the handle is a bit short. I am a shorty, but still have to bend slightly.

Wheelbarrow1_zps3d1827c0.jpg

Wheelbarrow3_zpsbb8ff246.jpg

Wheelbarrow2_zps32a1ff70.jpg

Edited by Danny's Darling

Mnm… DOLers and so clever… thank you all for your suggestions. 'Cause I want it to be able to go across grass I think a three wheeler is the go - and I've found one in Melbourne second hand on eBay that I might see if my brother can pick up for me… otherwise as others say I think eBay or Gumtree is going to be my best friend. Admire those home-grown solutions… but I'm not the least bit handy unfortunately! But B will be very interested in how your cut-down pram turns out! Pics please!smile.gif

Haven't quite finished as we may take off the handlebars and put on a puller like Danny's Darling's trolley/barrow

Here are some piccies of the not-finished-trolley

img_1715_zps6a7a0318.jpg

img_1714_zps011458d6.jpg

he needed to move a 'stay' forward to make it more stable

img_1716_zps019ac4cf.jpg

more piccies tomorrow :)