Best Meats For Dogs

GSDowner

My GSD, a cancer survivor is slowing down at 11.5

On top of it it looks like he developed intolerance to chicken meat.

I found this link:

http://www.dogs.com.au/articles/395

which lists pros and cons of various sources of meat.

Looks like kangaroo meat wins thumbs up.

I wonder if any of your lovely people know where I can get

kangaroo meat for my oldie?

Many thanks

and Happy New Year to Everybody :cheer:

Edited by GSDowner

Every pet meat store I have been into carries kangaroo, and the prepackaged raw meats sold at places like Petbarn are also frequently roo. Personally I don't like the level of preservative used in roo for pet meat and only buy it as trim from a human butcher at my local market who carries game meat, if you want that more expensive human grade I think Woolworths or Coles has it too. I feed it rarely as it is too low in fat for my guys to have often.

If you post where you are someone will know somewhere close, and the pinned where to buy raw topic in the health forum will have sources too.

Edited by Diva

Very generic list, there's really no food that suits all dogs.

Plus I don't like the idea of 'low fat' being a good thing for dog food.

Fat = energy

My dogs love roo, but it's too lean, not enough fat for my sporting dogs.

GSDowner most supermarkets carry roo. The 'pet mince' they carry is mostly roo, according to the label, or they stock mince for human consumption. Other places like pet specialty deli's ( bucket o beef) also carry roo :)

Edited by Esky the husky

I thought kangaroo was considered too low in fat to suit most dogs?

No matter here anyway, my dogs don't like it, even fresh on the bone.

Pork and turkey are the favourites here with beef rounding up into third place.

They like rabbit too but its hard to come by for a reasonable price :(

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I can get roo mince from my local IGA in a re-sealable bag for less then the cost of chicken mince (Newtown, Sydney). (This is the brand http://www.macromeats-gourmetgame.com.au/Products#.UtIJ5nk0jwI)

You can also get roo from most woolies.

I also think, might have imagined this, that you can get it online...

Edited by Scottsmum

Since putting my BT on roo she looks great and no more pancreatic outbreaks, I feed it with Vans.

I get mine from our petsthop that stocks raw meat by the kilo , my other 2 are on chicken, and I much prefer the roo, only its 4 times the price!

It's good for less active/sick dogs (especially ones that suffer from pancreatitis ^) or dogs that are prone to weight gain, but not really suitable as a main meat for most healthy active dogs. As said above, it's very low in fat and dogs need plenty of fat in their diets as it is their primary source of energy. I feed quite a bit of roo, but add plenty of meats with a higher fat content. I do like it though as it's a great organic game meat and ethically sourced. I'm lucky enough to have a great pet food shop nearby that sells kangaroo for a pretty good price.

But then again, I'm not one for advocating feeding just one or two meats, I prefer to feed the widest variety possible.

/The article lists heart as offal. While this may be true in classifying organs etc. it doesn't apply to feeding dogs as heart is solid muscle. No restrictions in feeding heart.

Edited by Hockz

We used to hunt and feed roo to the dogs when we lived out west. They needed a heap of it to do well on as they worked a lot and it just didn't have enough energy in it. We found old sheep or goats to be a better option. Mutton or lamb is a good way to go, especially if your dog has trouble keeping weight on and doesn't eat a lot in one sitting.

Thank you all soo much for so many informative responses.

I live in eastern suburbs, Melbourne. I will look in my local supermarkets and pet shops.

I am also very grateful for the feedback I received from you

regarding your dogs' preferences.

It also states that chickens are NOT carnivorous.....well whoever wrote that article should come & have a talk to my chickens :laugh: When they are let out onto the grass, they spend the first couple of minutes picking at the greens, then it into no end of scratching looking for their natural diet of bugs & worms :)

I find human grade roo is terrific for the westies when they need to lose some weight. They love it and for people in Adelaide I pick it up at Adelaide dog on Payneham Road ('the formula') or at the supermarket - but there it's not cheap.

I give Ziggy mostly roo of a night time. He gets his fat from the lamb he gets of a morning.

He also has other stuff like fruit and veg, cottage cheese, yoghurt, eggs.

Edited to add that all meat for pets in this house is human grade meat - I can't handle the smell or texture of any of the pet meats/minces..

Edited by Staffyluv

Regulations on pet mince varies greatly from human.

They can call it roo as long as there is some roo, but it may also have horse meat or other.... sometimes if you buy roo meet thru the pet market it can seem very stringy and strong smelling, this is likely to have a high percentage of horse.... or old cow... or mutton....

I buy roo from a retired butcher who hunts himself.... it has minimal smell and fine grain, low fat. I just add other fat to the dogs who need it via fatty lamb flaps etc.

I beef the BARF patty mix, usually the roo, and my dog who's prone to weight gain does well on it, if it a bit gassy as a result. :laugh: Mischa is nearing 11 and she can only have turkey, lamb or chicken, as anything else just upsets her. Not a fan of pork or beef (except beef bones).

Scottsmum thank you for posting your IGA link :)

I was thinking that because my boy is an oldie and lately his stomach is playing up

I may try kangaroo, as it is fat-free (but of course if he where younger it would be a different story).

Some "helpful" people are already prompting me to put him down as, according to them, he is too much trouble healthwise for me. I am not giving up

Edited by GSDowner

Some "helpful" people are already prompting me to put him down as, according to them, he is too much trouble healthwise for me. I am not giving up

Old dogs are beautiful, they deserve a little extra effort.