New Bag, Same Food Still Gets Diarrhea

dididog

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With the bag you have - Advance will have a palatibility guarantee so you can just return it to the place you got it and get a refund or new bag. However first, I would ring the phone number for customer service on the bag and discuss it with them.

As for diet advice generally for Danes - I recommend you head to Great Dane Rescue and Rehoming website and download the user guide there for everything you need to know about Dane diets and now to grow them slowly and properly as you only get on chance at it!

I have sent off a message to Advance and will call them if I get no response. I am also skeptical of where we bought the offending bag as the first bag and the most recent bag were bought at chain pet supply stores whereas the weird one was bought at a small feed shop my dad ducked into on the way home from work one day and when he picked up an 18kg bag from there a week later we ended up returning it because the expiry date was was a few days away. I'll read up on the Great Dane Rescue stuff but to be honest even though the breed most predominate in her is Great Dane, her DNA test shows a lot of other breeds in the mix though quite minutely (her mum was Lab, Dachshund, Irish Terrier, Dogues De Bordeaux mix and weighed 30kg and Dad was Great Dane with a splash of Boxer). With this mix comes a lot of uncertainty of how big she will actually get but we are assuming around 50kg for now (13.5kg at 13 weeks currently).

My greyhound had intermittent loose stools on advance when we first got her. I have switched her to nutro and she has been fine since.

I guess I'm just a bit apprehensive to change and trial food while she's still a growing pup but will definitely start looking into making a switch in the next few weeks.

I'd be slowly switching your pup over to Royal Canin Junior for her size/type... I've had issues with Advance in the past myself.

I feed my Dane cross rescue pup Royal Canin Junior until she was around 6 months old, then switched to Nutro Lamb and Rice adult kibble. Worked well for me/her.

As with your pup, we had no idea as to what size/weight my horse puppy was going to be... the guestimate based on her puppy size/weight gains was looking to be around 50kg... but it's now tracking to be somewhere in the 35kg range. She is now 16 months old and 28kg - lovely long Dane legs and in lovely condition (read no fat) - she is in no way a "small" dog... *grin*

T.

Royal Canin is not widely fed either.

I would not be suspicious of where you got the food from. I have not heard of counterfeit or parallel import dog kibble here and the reps would keep an eye on it. I know Eukanuba just switched from sourcing from the US to Europe and maybe they have done something similar.

As with your pup, we had no idea as to what size/weight my horse puppy was going to be... the guestimate based on her puppy size/weight gains was looking to be around 50kg... but it's now tracking to be somewhere in the 35kg range. She is now 16 months old and 28kg - lovely long Dane legs and in lovely condition (read no fat) - she is in no way a "small" dog... *grin*

T.

Im really worried I am ovefeeding her and making her grow to quickly because I don't know how big she's going to get but I suppose we'll have to wait and see.... I do think 50 wold be an absolute maximum and have been feeding her a little less than what is recommended for a 45kg pup as we give her bones and treats - don't want her getting chubby!

Royal Canin is not widely fed either.

I would not be suspicious of where you got the food from. I have not heard of counterfeit or parallel import dog kibble here and the reps would keep an eye on it. I know Eukanuba just switched from sourcing from the US to Europe and maybe they have done something similar.

Well I noticed the packaging on the almost out of date 18kg was different to the newer one we bought so maybe Advance has changed some things. As far as food goes I did some reading last night and am considering Euk, Canidae, Royal Canin and Black Hawk so I welcome any advice or opinions on these. I think from memory Canidae seemed the nicest ingredients wise but I don't know if that necessarily makes it the best choice for my puppy.

Black Hawk is not ok for growing puppies unless you look at the Fish one as the phosphorus: calcium ratios are not right in the others. Due to the short length of time in the market, I would not be prepared to grow a giant puppy on the Fish one either (I know others disagree). I'd want to see more results first.

Canidae is an excellent food and it would be my pick of the ones you listed. Then Euk then Royal Canin.

Black Hawk is not ok for growing puppies unless you look at the Fish one as the phosphorus: calcium ratios are not right in the others. Due to the short length of time in the market, I would not be prepared to grow a giant puppy on the Fish one either (I know others disagree). I'd want to see more results first.

Canidae is an excellent food and it would be my pick of the ones you listed. Then Euk then Royal Canin.

Thanks for that! I will talk to my vet next Saturday about Canidae and just in general how she's doing growth wise and then start making a switch.

I highly advise speaking to your vet though as they and you know the dog much better than forum peeps. Good luck and I hope it all clears up.

Thanks, I'll definitely be talking it over with him first and pup is starting to feel a bit better which is good!

I would not bother speaking to a vet about food choice. Most are not across growing giants, current food in market and will generally will push the food they stock - usually Hills.

The Great Dane guide is built from years and years of experience in the breed.

MUP - the maxi is the wrong food for Danes. You actually want the giant one in the purple bag.

I fed my horse puppy the RC Junior Medium (adult size 25kg)... maybe that's why she's not 50kg... *grin*

Switched to Nutro Lamb and Rice Adult at 6 months of age.

A change of financial circumstances has seen me switch all of my dogs to Supercoat Adult Chicken in the past couple of months... horse puppy is being fed as a 35kg adult, and is in great nick so far - not fat, but not scrawny either. People pass comment on how nice she looks - especially in the know doggy people.

T.

My advice is to follow Danois's advice, she knows what she's talking about when it comes to Danes that's for sure!

Although she is a mix, and therefore you won't know how big she will get,I wouldn't want to assume that she will be small and run into problems because of it. I would grow her as if she was a Dane.

In regards to your concern about over-feeding her, this is definitely something you have to watch. Don't go off the feeding guide on the packet, go off her condition. You want her skinny, you should be able to see the last rib or two (assuming she is short coated).

Have you got a pic of her for us? I'd like to see her :)

Edited by raineth

Photos here... http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/254706-shamelessly-showing-off-pup/

Very pretty puppy!

I pretty much feed all of my dogs to condition.

For example: Pickles weighs 14kg, yet is fed an amount comensurate with a 28kg dog... purely becuse she expends a lot more energy getting about due to her disability.

Harper eats as much as a 35kg dog, even though she is only 28kg - she is technically still a puppy and looks just right being fed that much.

Trouble is 25kgs, and eats the correct amount for her weight... a friend asked me what breed she was the other day, and was shocked to hear me say "Labrador" - he then said she couldn't be a Labrador because she wasn't fat! (He has a 41kg grossly overweight and arthritic Labrador himself - used to have 2 of them)

Zeddy is around 28kgs, and gets fed as a 25kg dog - she's older and not as quick to get around as the younger dogs, so doesn't need as much to keep her trim. It's better for her arthritis to be "on condition" - and I dare anyone to pick her age to be the 14 years she reached last August...

T.

Photos here... http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/254706-shamelessly-showing-off-pup/

Very pretty puppy!

I pretty much feed all of my dogs to condition.

For example: Pickles weighs 14kg, yet is fed an amount comensurate with a 28kg dog... purely becuse she expends a lot more energy getting about due to her disability.

Harper eats as much as a 35kg dog, even though she is only 28kg - she is technically still a puppy and looks just right being fed that much.

Trouble is 25kgs, and eats the correct amount for her weight... a friend asked me what breed she was the other day, and was shocked to hear me say "Labrador" - he then said she couldn't be a Labrador because she wasn't fat! (He has a 41kg grossly overweight and arthritic Labrador himself - used to have 2 of them)

Zeddy is around 28kgs, and gets fed as a 25kg dog - she's older and not as quick to get around as the younger dogs, so doesn't need as much to keep her trim. It's better for her arthritis to be "on condition" - and I dare anyone to pick her age to be the 14 years she reached last August...

T.

Thanks for the link T, and you're not wrong, she is gorgeous!!!

I agree as well, you have to be flexible about the amount you feed your dog as their needs can vary quite a bit.