Tipping Collie Ears

Mystiqview

Those videos are pretty much close on the type of things you need to do. There are some slight variations to them.

The hardest part is because some use the glue on the ear hair, it can depend on how many times you need to take out the bracing and also how much is ripped out if you allow pups to play and tear them.

Weighting the tips is far easier than having to lift heavy ears. Even worse if the ears develop the second fold to give you a rose type ear.

Sorry a bit off topic but do Border Collies ears rose often and are they accepted?

It might just be because I've been paying more attention but I've recently seen a lot of borders around town with rosed ears. I doubt most around here are well bred.

Those videos are pretty much close on the type of things you need to do. There are some slight variations to them.

The hardest part is because some use the glue on the ear hair, it can depend on how many times you need to take out the bracing and also how much is ripped out if you allow pups to play and tear them.

Weighting the tips is far easier than having to lift heavy ears. Even worse if the ears develop the second fold to give you a rose type ear.

I agree - weighting is much easier. I have not succeeded with taping, I can never get it to stay in long enough and I won't prevent them playing for months on end to stop the others pulling it out. And I have tried quite a few methods. Cinna's are better than her mothers but I would still prefer them a little higher.

Mystiqview - what is Stockholm Tar?

Can anyone recommended an adhesive tape which won't come unstuck in five minutes? Never had it before but this puppy is impossible, nothing I have ever used successfully sticks, despite cleaning the ear with alcohol or compound tincture of besoin which is supposed to enhance adhesion.........my husband did suggest a self-tapper or a pop rivet but I think that's bit extreme lol

I used sports strapping tape wrapped around a couple of times. The narrow one is better. You could try Elastoplast, but it can be a pig to get off the hair and still leave SOME hair behind.

Even with the glue, after a few times, not much hair is left.

There is a video on youtube for setting BC puppy ears

Also one if you wish to have them prick

Gosh I watched the first utube clip & that puppy was so good & put up with all that without any fuss. I know what would of happen if I'd tried to do that to Stella as a puppy :laugh: & if I'd succeeded it would of lasted all of 2 seconds before she would of ripped those ear pads straight off.

I found this site today after a post on FB had me curious. If you scroll down to page 18 there are all the ear carriages allowed in America.

http://www.bordercolliesociety.com/programs/judge/presentation.pdf

I tried taping Tilba's ear when she was about 5 mths old when I 1st heard about it, but was a bit too late & besides other members of my family kept taking it off.

I used sports strapping tape wrapped around a couple of times. The narrow one is better. You could try Elastoplast, but it can be a pig to get off the hair and still leave SOME hair behind.

Even with the glue, after a few times, not much hair is left.

There is a great product available from the chemist call "Zoff" which easily softens tape adhesive and allows for the removal of old tape without pulling hairs out. A bottle will last for years.