Dog Dies While Chained In Heat

A timely reminder, not so much for regulars here, but maybe for all of us to keep an eye and ear out in our neighbourhoods etc for dogs suffering in the heat. :(

http://www.warwickdailynews.com.au/news/heat-claims-life-of-dog-on-chain/2137026/

ROSE City residents are being warned of the dangers of heat stress for pets, following the death of a dog in last week's heatwave.

An East Warwick resident, who did not want to be named, reported seeing her neighbour's dog "cook" in the sun last weekend.

"We heard the dog across the road barking in distress," she said.

"I knew something wasn't right so I checked in on it."

When the resident found the dog it had wrapped itself around the star picket it was chained to.

"It was around 2pm in the heat of the day when we found the dog," she said.

"By the time we found the dog it was pretty much dead."

According to the resident, the dog had no water and had been in the sun for several hours.

"We tried to cool him down by tipping water onto him and getting him to drink but he was so exhausted and his body was shutting down," she said

"He was taken to the vet but it was too late."

RSPCA spokesman Michael Beatty said there were a number of things people could do if they found a heat-stressed dog.

"If you can, get the dog to air-conditioning, wet compress its lower stomach and forehead and give it some water - depending on how bad its condition is," he said.

"Call the RSPCA. We'll refer the incident to either the RACQ if it's a car or the nearest authorities if there is no animal ambulance in the area."

Mr Beatty said unfortunately finding dogs suffering from heat stress was a fairly common occurrence.

"Either people are straight-out idiots and leave their dogs with no water or shade or they chain them up and the dogs get caught on something like furniture and can't reach shade or water," he said.

The East Warwick resident said it was unacceptable for her to have to find a dog in such a state.

"It was a horrible thing to witness. I will never forget the look that dog gave me as we tried to save his life," she said.

"The worst thing is it seems as if we are the only ones that have shed a tear over this dog while the owners don't seem to care."

If you find a dog in distress or suspect a dog is suffering, call the RSPCA on 1300 ANIMAL (1300 264 625).

what to do:

 Get the dog to air conditioning

 Wet compress its lower stomach and forehead

 Give it some water

 Call the RSPCA on 1300 ANIMAL

• 2 weeks later...

This story bloody astounds me..... lets just leave Rover tied out in heatwave conditions until he slowly dies in one of the most callous/ distressed & sickening ways possible. Shame on the heartless owner. I would like to see the book thrown at them & their face plastered on the front page of the paper for all to see.