Mixeduppup, Is This You?

http://www.cootamundraherald.com.au/story/2019111/hundreds-of-dogs-saved/?cs=12

Is this you, mup? Go you!!

IN less than 18 months, Cootamundra’s Hannah Orr has managed to re-home close to 200 dogs from the Cootamundra, Harden and Gundagai Pounds.

A pet lover from way back, when Hannah moved to town from Clarence Town in the Hunter Valley she wanted to do something to ensure animals were not being euthanised wherever possible.

Hannah spends countless volunteer hours talking to rescue centres and local residents wanting to adopt a pet to ensure pound dogs find loving homes and have bright futures.

She promotes the dogs she has in the three pounds she works with via Dogs Online Forum and a Facebook page people can like by searching ‘Cootamundra Pound’.

“I saw there was a need out there and I wanted to do something, I love dogs and I want to find good homes for them,” Hannah said.

“To know an animal is now in a loving home is really satisfying,” she added.

She witnessed a spike in animals being dumped over Christmas with nine animals spending the festive season in the pound.

Of these dogs, new homes have been found for eight and one remains.

Hannah is keen to educate people about the benefits of rescue dogs.

She says often there is a stigma attached to animals in the pound that does not necessarily ring true with the nature of the animal.

“I believe sometimes people think rescues are somehow faulty because they have ended up in the pound but that is not the case,” Hannah said.

“The majority of dogs which end up in the pound are not there for anything they have done, nine times out of ten it is down to the owners,” she said.

Hannah encouraged people to think carefully about taking on a dog and to be realistic about their expectations and obligations.

“It is a lifetime responsibility,” Hannah said.

She said most of the dogs she comes across have been taken on by owners who later realise they can not look after the animal or people move and can not take their dog with them. Increasingly Hannah is seeing failed working dogs being dumped at the pound.

“People don’t always think their choices through,” Hannah said.

She also blames “indiscriminate breeding” for dogs ending up in the pound saying dogs have puppies and rather than responsibly finding homes for the puppies they are taken to the pound.

Hannah says the most common breeds of dogs in the pound are working dog mixes, small fluffy dogs and Jack Russells.

Hannah has four rescue dogs herself and loves them all to bits.

Hannah’s love of dogs is something she is hoping to turn into a career. She is currently studying to be a vet nurse and does regular work experience as part of her studies at the Cooper Street Veterinary Hospital.

See your ad here

When she’s not studying or looking after her dogs, Hannah also works at the Long Track Pantry in Jugiong.

If you are interested in a dog from the Cootamundra Pound check out the Facebook page or contact Cootamundra Shire Council on 6940 2100.