Pregnant Bitch Bitten By Snake

SLF

What an awful situation. I find it weird that you say she looks bright and active, but her bloods aren't good. I would have thought that bad bloods would mean she wasn't very well. Or have the affects not taken hold yet?

I hope her vital improve and everything is ok.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Asalei - the bloods reflect the damage done to the muscles. ATM her CK levels are over 3000 I believe they are meant to be about 300. To me she appears weak and 'wasted' you can now feel her shoulder bones and she looks sunken at the hips and across the back. The muscle wastage to me is obvious to see. The concern is the damage this will do to her organs long term. It can take a day or so for the blood levels to reflect the actual levels as the body expels the waste and toxins from the body. We are being extremely cautious as she is heavily pregnant and we will keep her on fluids and pain relief as long as needed for the blood results to show a good CK level.

However yes it is surprising she appears 'well'. We are all surprised at her vigor :D

She was well enough to do the ultra sound !!!!!................

they found 4 pups with heartbeats and normal appearing placentas.

now I have been told not to get too hopeful about the condition the pups may be born in, we do not know what affect the venom has had on them and will not know until they are born and doing well. But we have some hope.

My book canine reproduction specifically states that before I think 19 days and after 5-6 weeks the puppies are reasonably resistant to chemical so I think you are at least in with a chance. Horrible thing to have happen, hoping for a favourable outcome for all parties

My girl is coming home today. :thumbsup:

Its horrendous weather 43*c expected so I hope the heat doesn't knock her around too much. We have an air cooler but not air con. but if it gets too warm I will go to a family members house with her as they have air conditioning.

What a week. Thankyou for your messages on here.

I hope to come back soon with good news of safely born live puppies but for now I will enjoy having my girl back home.

I will keep updating this thread, someone down the line may be caught in a situation like this, I found no info on what could or couldn't happen. So maybe this thread might help someone else one day.

Hopes and prayers are with you. My God if you all get through this and keep your sanity you can tackle anything. Nothing worse than waiting and hoping for a good outcome but having her home with you may help her no end. Will wait to hear how it all goes try and keep positive and "cool". they tune in so much as to how we are feeling. All the best to your girl, her babies and of course you.

Thanks Dancinbcs - thankfully we have a small cool change its now only in the high 20's :) she is laying happily on the floor in front of the cooler.

Another u/s today before her leaving the Vet showed no change in the pups.

Since her return home she is doing really well.

There is paralysis to the left side of her face - the side that was bitten. Its not really noticeable but when she smiles now that side doesn't move. She is also having some trouble eating small kibble and really wet food, so its been interesting finding a consistency she is happy with.

We have also noted that she is bumping into things on the left side. I think her vision is impaired in that eye. She is far less agile than her once athletic self but its only early days yet.

No more news on the pups, but her belly is growing and not too much longer to wait.