Pregnant Bitch Bitten By Snake

SLF

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds positive so far. Well done you! :thumbsup: It's tough and stressful and tiring so take it easy on yourself as well ok? :grouphug:

She sounds much happier with the pups more content which is understandable. She also sounds clever enough to learn that she can trust you to help her with her babies. :)

Oh, and raw milk - great. So long as stomachs tolerate it.

Edited by Alyosha

Is it her first litter?

With my girl on her first litter she was mostly a calm Mum, but if the puppies were stressed she would stress. It can be a bit of a vicious circle - she is unsettled because they are unsettled, they are unsettled as she won't let them settle...

It was suggested to me that some of her unsettled behaviour in the first few days could have been the uterus contracting back after having the puppies. Buscopan was suggested for me (but she seemed to be over it by then) and is something I will keep on hand in the future.

Fingers crossed everything improves.

I wouldn't have thought cows milk would be any good for puppies. When I raised mine I used Biolac on vets advice. Please check with your vet urgently if you are feeding the right stuff.

When my 2nd litter of puppies became sick at 7 days old their mother was frantic too when she heard them crying.

Edited by Kirislin

The cows milk is for her :) not the pups, they are on Divetelac.

Long night, she didn't want me to feed them, kept getting stressed, so I had to put her out. I try to leave them be once I let her back in after I have fed them. Only go in to pat her, and feed her. I try not to touch the pups when I check on them. Only moving them if they are cold or she is sitting on one etc..

So far Ive got milk into the 3 smaller ones regularly, only small amounts 5mls-10mls but its better than nothing. The big male seems to be doing well on him own, as does his bigger litter mate, who I have only topped up once.

This is not her first litter, she was text book with her last litter. Never put a foot wrong.

Edited by SLF

The cows milk is for her :) not the pups, they are on Divetelac.

Long night, she didn't want me to feed them, kept getting stressed, so I had to put her out. I try to leave them be once I let her back in after I have fed them. Only go in to pat her, and feed her. I try not to touch the pups when I check on them. Only moving them if they are cold or she is sitting on one etc..

So far Ive got milk into the 3 smaller ones regularly, only small amounts 5mls-10mls but its better than nothing. The big male seems to be doing well on him own, as does his bigger litter mate, who I have only topped up once.

This is not her first litter, she was text book with her last litter. Never put a foot wrong.

Oh, I misunderstood, phew! I wonder if you could foster some pups onto another bitch. Perhaps some one here has a bitch with plenty of milk. 5-10 mls isn't much of a top up if they're not getting much from her. I think my tiny whippet pups drank more than that.

This has been such a worrying time for you all, I hope she settles soon and starts producing enough milk.

Not much advice, you have much already.

Do what seems to settle mum the best.

I found Animalac was easier to mix than other milk substitutes & seemed to go down well.

Also gave that to mum. Cows milk is not good for dogs or cats.

I paint a toenail on pups & kittens as mum doesn't lick or clean toenails usually.

Using a different colour for each one I then put a blob of each colour on paper & keep any needed notes next to each colour. Needs re painting every 3 or 4 days.

Good luck. Hope it all gets better by the day. So stressful when things go wrong.

Today is a hard day, I feel that by trying to help the pups Im stressing my dog and vice versa. However I feel like we have come so far and really in the grand scheme of things this is still a very good outcome.

Im trying to focus on the small positives and run with them.

Im still not getting a great deal of milk into the pups, though Reba has eaten well overnight and taken herself to the toilet. So she must be feeling better to want to do that.

The pups are more vibrant today, I can hear them crying out for her and they are moving not limp like yesterday. So that too is a good thing.

Today is a hard day, I feel that by trying to help the pups Im stressing my dog and vice versa. However I feel like we have come so far and really in the grand scheme of things this is still a very good outcome.

Im trying to focus on the small positives and run with them.

Im still not getting a great deal of milk into the pups, though Reba has eaten well overnight and taken herself to the toilet. So she must be feeling better to want to do that.

The pups are more vibrant today, I can hear them crying out for her and they are moving not limp like yesterday. So that too is a good thing.

My orphaned litter was raised last year on the Leerberg Milk Replacement and never looked back and I've used it with great success on several other occasions.

Is there a breeder friend close by who can show you how to tube? Once you know how you'd never go back! It is simple, fast and efficient.

Whilst well behaved babies with good bottle manners (which often only comes with time) are a pleasure to feed it can be stressful and time consuming bottle feeding babies.

SLF my thoughts and prayers are with you, Reba and the pups. You and Reba are doing a marvellous job together. I can only imagine the stress you must be under but hold on and go with the flow if possible. The more stressed you are the more it sends to Reba and pups. You are a loving and caring person and I am sure all will work out for you and the family. Reba is doing her best too and she is probably unsure of what is happening with her babies atm. Sending hugs and relaxing vibes.

Is there a breeder friend close by who can show you how to tube? Once you know how you'd never go back! It is simple, fast and efficient.

Second this!! An invaluable skill indeed.

Are there any knowledgable folks near SLF that could help out? Or SLF - would your vet be able to show you? Some know and are great and other are less than confident. But it couldn't hurt to ring and ask...