Pregnant Bitch Bitten By Snake

SLF

1 week to go now? Lots of us with everything crossed that she has a safe whelping.

As the venom has such a dramatic thickening effect on the blood she may have blood vessel damage - this could be affecting her eye. Some of it might resolve in time.

Edited by Alyosha

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thankyou everyone for your support

9 days to go.

I felt a pup wriggling in her belly 2 nights ago. I didn't want to get my hopes up so tried to ignore it. However this little pup keeps wriggling for all the world to see. I can her its heartbeat with a stethoscope so I like to check on it now and then. I can not find any of the others but I'm not worrying too much about that.

With that little ray of hope I splashed out and bought 2 new lots of vet bed from Petnetwork (I think that's the place) just so if we do get a live puppy it has somewhere nice and new to sleep.

Not much change in things here the last few days.

I thought she was going to whelp the other night; panting, increased heart rate, hard belly, unsettled etc but after sleeping (or in fact not sleeping!) with her throughout the night everything had settled down by morning. The vet wasn't sure what or why? but she seemed ok, and there was no change in the pups so we are still waiting.

In the last couple of days she isn't eating as much, maybe half her ration and her fluid intake is also much less. Her urine is dark, but Im hoping that is due to the decreased fluids and not a kidney issue. She is still bright, but far less agile. Its so hard to tell what is caused by the pregnancy and huge belly and what are long term effects of the snake bite.

So we are waiting quietly and taking each day as it comes.

So far so good.

I'm another watching and waiting with fingers crossed for you, your girl and her precious cargo.

Could you perhaps entice her to drink some more by giving her something like goats milk to drink, even if only a splash in her water?

no puppy news ..

Took her to vet this morning for a check up. All ok.

She has put on a couple of kilo's , even though she doesn't appear to be carrying it anywhere. He appetite is back too.

We can still find 2 pups that are wriggling and have strong heartbeats with the stethoscope. One on either flank. :D

She has been loosing some clear mucus the last 3-4 days so hopefully this is the mucosal plug coming away.

Her teats are huge and begin to look fuller, rather than floppy.

She is already confined to the whelping area so Im waiting for her to start scratching around. She is stealing my t-shirts and my sons teddy's and cuddling them whenever she can. So hopefully we are getting closer to the pups coming.

We are positive so far with how she will handle things, she has regained a lot of strength. He eye sight in the left eye is still compromised, but her facial paralysis is mildly improved. :thumbsup: