Fire Warning For Vic

Blackdogs

For any people who are unaware the fire authority predicts the worst weather conditions in Vic on Friday since black Saturday with winds reaching 100km after four days of high temperatures.

Keep yourselves and your babies safe and for those in high risk areas, make sure you have a solid evacuation plan.

ETA: If anyone has any evacuation or 'keeping pets cool' tips for others, feel free to post them here.

My number one and probably most obvious tip is to make sure your pets are inside and out of the heat and they have plenty of water!

Edited by Blackdogs

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're in a rural area make sure you have the Fire Ready phone app as well. You can set this up to alert you of any incidents in the area.

Currently my phone is telling me within 20 kms of my current location there's a housefire in Glen Waverley, a Commercial fire in Boronia and a Medical issue in Mount Waverley. All are either under control or safe

definitely not looking forward to the winds picking up at the end of the week :(

As well as a written evacuation plan we have a written plan B (stay and defend) and plan C as well as a list of things to do the night before a TFB or Severe rating. If you're in a high risk area don't fall into the trap of thinking "I'll be fine, I'll just leave." You may not have that opportunity if you leave it until the last minute - roads clogged with tourists, fallen trees etc. We also have a generator, wind up radio, CFA app and a scanner. Even if I'd rather switch it off, ABC local radio is left on all day.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

We now live in a semi rural area which we never have before. What are everyone's best tips? We both work full time with a child in care and to dogs at home.

Be prepared. Understand what the risks are in your area. Join your local Community Fireguard Network and be an active member - contact the CFA for details of one in your area. I co-ordinate our local CFG but it's very difficult when people rapidly become complacent. Have a plan. And a back-up plan.

I started this thread a few years ago - perhaps it will give you some ideas.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

We now live in a semi rural area which we never have before. What are everyone's best tips? We both work full time with a child in care and to dogs at home.

We had a bushfire go through our semi rural area growing up and despite having to evacuate, the house was completely undamaged due to the early prep work that was put in. Mind you fires don't tend to burn as hot in WA as they do here in VIC.

Firstly make sure you have a wide perimeter between your house and any bush, ours was about 10 meters or more. It's probably too late to make any major changes now but you can clear the perimeter of any leaf litter.

If you plan to leave, pack the car with all important documentation, pictures and essentially anything that can't be replaced (family heirlooms etc).

Make sure pets are secured early so they don't run away to escape the fire - this may even include putting horses in a float if it can take awhile to get them on.

Any pets you can take with you, do so. If you can't take them (like livestock) try and make sure they are secured and surrounded by as much water and clear land as you can manage.

Try and take one car if you can and keep everyone together. Other cars will be better off put away in a garage.

If you are staying to fight arm yourself with blankets, buckets and water. Keep in mind that if the fire gets close your electricity will most likely get cut off so if you have tank water run on an electrical pump you'll need to find another water source like a dam or swimming pool.

Generally you'll find a lot of people will stay to fight if there are a few spot fires in their property but at any point you may need to drop tools and evacuate (especially if the police are at your door telling you to do so) so make sure everything is ready to go at a moments notice.

I hope this helps. Feel free to add more suggestions.

Whenever bush fires get close I think of having to evacuate our place when I was 19 and hanging out with the neighbors and their dogs, horses and boats down the road. All watching the plumes of smoke going into the air and knowing that whenever the smoke turned black something man-made was on fire. All I had was the clothes on my back because I had put all my belongings in my car as it was uninsured and when the police came to evacuate us they told us to take one car.

We are 45 minutes from home when we are at work so my biggest concern is the dogs (2). We have no family that could rescue them if the need arises as all our family work full time and are also 45 minutes away from our home. We don't yet now our neighbours either as we have only been there for 4 weeks. Bugger, I'm now really worried. :( I'm going home tonight to pack up all our important stuff and also put a few bits and pieces into the car. Just have no idea what to do about our puppies?

We had a bushfire go through our semi rural area growing up and despite having to evacuate, the house was completely undamaged due to the early prep work that was put in. Mind you fires don't tend to burn as hot in WA as they do here in VIC.

Really? :confused:

We are 45 minutes from home when we are at work so my biggest concern is the dogs (2). We have no family that could rescue them if the need arises as all our family work full time and are also 45 minutes away from our home. We don't yet now our neighbours either as we have only been there for 4 weeks. Bugger, I'm now really worried. :( I'm going home tonight to pack up all our important stuff and also put a few bits and pieces into the car. Just have no idea what to do about our puppies?

You should hopefully have plenty of warning if a fire is heading in your direction and can leave work early to get them (unless it starts locally).

Might be a good time to introduce yourself and the pups to your neighbours as well, I can't imagine they won't help out just because you haven't been there long.

Introduce yourself to your neighbours. You never know your luck.

I have to be in the city next week (I work from home as much as possible, particularly at this time of year) and Mr TSD will be back at work too. I will be taking the dogs and cats to work with crates and everything else they need if it looks like being a bad day. I often take one or two of them in with me to help me with lectures/tutorials so no-one will bat an eyelid fortunately.

Really? :confused:

Both my parents (as well as me) have lived in WA and VIC, my Dad has volunteered in various fire authority roles for a long time, and he was the one that initially mentioned it to me. Currently he's the CBFCO (Chief Bush Fire Control Officer) in the shire of Denmark and managed the volunteer brigades for the bush fire that was down there last week.

The natural bush is very different and a lot denser and taller in VIC, especially around the areas where the black Saturday fires hit. Mountain Ash is especially well known for burning very hot for very long.

We are 45 minutes from home when we are at work so my biggest concern is the dogs (2). We have no family that could rescue them if the need arises as all our family work full time and are also 45 minutes away from our home. We don't yet now our neighbours either as we have only been there for 4 weeks. Bugger, I'm now really worried. :( I'm going home tonight to pack up all our important stuff and

also put a few bits and pieces into the car. Just have no idea what to do about our puppies?

I would be kennelling them in an air conditioned boarding facility in a low risk area while you're at work.

Edited by Blackdogs

I think the main thing is to have a plan that you aren't reliant on no ones assistance but also have a shared plan if they can help .

Have leads ready ,personally during fire evacs we have helped with we only use slip leads for added safety & quickness.

Have cat cages ready & even lock cats in one area .

First & foremost i would be getting copies of all important documents & either leaving them at work,email to your work email or leaving at a safe friends house .

You can make signs saying pets here & what exactly .

Horses put details of head gear )phone numbers,names ).

Sadly warning & time often don't work in your favour .

I tend to agree maybe boarding in safe area if you can find a kennel with spots,maybe ask employees whether they would be happy with crated pets or if you can do work from home for the day .

I would hope some bosses use there brains where possible & let staff in a high risk scenario be at home .

i do have to say this is when crate trained pets are a blessing as many people will help with dogs that are crated .

http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/plan-prepare/pets-and-bushfires/