O M G! Calendula Tea Rinse

Ok, that's understandable, I'll use a sterilised glass jar for my next batch.

For what it is worth, when it comes to eyes, I like to use fresh - each time. I'm probably being overly pedantic in this respect, but that's just how I am :) .

In other cases (such as for itchy/irritated paws), I've made up some and kept any left over in the fridge. It may last for a day or two, but if I could only think its effectiveness would diminish - but if it is not for a major/urgent problem, that doesn't worry me too much.

The chemicals which are active in it wont diminish but the worry is bacteria. If you use boiling water and make sure your container is sterile and airtight glass where bacteria cant get in then its not such a risk but using plastic , not sterilising effectively and not keeping it in the fridge in an airtight container all increase the risk .

You can use a syringe to rinse the eyes out too. I use glass syringes for everything I do but using plastic is O.K. if its a new syringe each day.

My tea is on its way - ordered through Steve's website. I imagine it will be accompanied by an information sheet/brochure, but in the meantime, I'm wondering whether I should bath the dogs as per usual and then rinse with tea. Being toy breeds, a couple long haired, they get a bit grubby running around a large garden and going for walks.

A couple of them have been itching to the extent of biting themselves and scratching. No fleas, so I am putting it down to the heat.

My tea is on its way - ordered through Steve's website. I imagine it will be accompanied by an information sheet/brochure, but in the meantime, I'm wondering whether I should bath the dogs as per usual and then rinse with tea. Being toy breeds, a couple long haired, they get a bit grubby running around a large garden and going for walks.

A couple of them have been itching to the extent of biting themselves and scratching. No fleas, so I am putting it down to the heat.

In my opinion, given the extent of the itchiness, I'd skip the shampooing for the time being, at least. Use the Calendula Tea brew only as the wash and leave-in rinse …. give the skin every chance to calm down and heal. It cleanses fairly well and you may be quite happy enough with the results from that anyway. But that's the way I'd start it off at the very least.

ETA : How do you know it's not the shampoo that is causing a problem, perhaps even rendering their skin as more sensitive than it should be? Not saying that is the case, but "KIS" (Keep It Simple) …. minimise what you use by keeping it to one thing. Then you have an idea of what works, what effects, what affects, and what doesn't and you can work from that platform forwards.

Edited by Erny

Thanks Erny. They were groomed a month ago and although that time I forgot, I generally take my own Aloveen Shampoo to the groomers.

I will clip off the knots made from their biting and scratching and just use the tea.

BTW, would it work on me? Only half LOLing. I generally take an antihistamine a day for my itchy skin and alergy prone self. I ran out about a week ago, keep forgetting to buy some more and today I am itching in concert with the dogs. :(:( I feel as though I have bitey ants running over my arms.

Try it, DD. I know of a couple of people who suffer eczema and they've found it soothed. I've used it on myself and found it soothing - not necessarily for allergy but just for some irritation or unknown cause of itchiness and it worked. No harm in trying :)

Can also try drinking it. I don't find it as distasteful as Steve does - I would describe it as a bland taste more than anything else.

You can let your dog drink it too, if he or she wants to.

Edited by Erny

Jeez, I need some now. Something is definitely not "right" - look at the time (it is an hour later in Sydney). I am turning into an insomniac :cry::cry: ..... and itching like crazy. I think I'll make a bathtub of CT and the dogs and I will sit and soak :laugh: :laugh:

Edited by Danny's Darling

Well, Nixon got a fun milkshake of yoghurt, yesterdays leftover batch of calendula tea (including flowers) and livamol this morning for breakfast. He seemed pretty happy about it!

I can't really tell if his eyes are improving or not yet. Will give it a few more days, then it might have to be a trip to the vet.

I'm pretty sure sticking his whole head in the waterbowl at the dog park isn't helping matters though...

Are his eyes red? Goopy? You should see signs of improvement inside first 24 hours. Whether that be the goop-iness reducing, the redness reducing - it depends on how 'bad' they'd become before treatment. But the point being, there should be signs of improvement. Make sure you're getting the Calendula Tea brew to his eyes. I've done this with my boy and had to prise down the lower lid, aiming the Calendula into the corner of his eye. It's all a matter of working out the best handling position and tilt of head so that the tea washes over when he blinks. After I've put the Calendula Tea to his eye, I give a wipe over his (by then) closed lids and that seems to help.

If you know you're getting the Calendula to his eyes but not seeing any signs of improvement, or if the problem worsens, don't delay with seeing a Vet. Eyes are not something to mess around with.

just bought some - Juno has a spot on her back knee that's missing hair which she won't allow to grow back, and Hunter has itchy feet. Hopefully we get some good results! Might take some finangeling to work out the best way to apply ... normally the pups get washed in the shower, might have to reintroduce to the bath tub. A rubber mat is a good tip :)

Edited by Lasareina

Thanks Erny, they aren't red, they're just very mucky - particularly first thing in the morning. On a very bad day, the muck will be quite yellow, and is sometime all along his bottom lid. One eye is worse than the other.

I'm not convinced I actually got any tea to his actual eye, so will try pulling out the lower lid tonight.

I think there may have been some improvement - the goop seems less yellow today, but it does seem to vary a lot day to day anyway, so it's hard to tell. I'm thinking it probably will end up being a vet visit - though I'm going to have trouble with whatever eye drops they give me anyway... hopefully it will show some more obvious improvement by tomorrow.

Aliwake, soak a cotton wool ball in the tea and gently press it against your dog's eyes. I always have Optrex on hand for any eye "gunk" which you buy over the counter at the chemist. I dilute it in warm water and wipe my dogs' eyes. I do this fairly regularly whether they have any signs of infection or not. Just helps to keep them clean. I use a new cotton ball for each dog.

I started this about 20 years ago when my firt dogs were Maltese. It helped to minimise in one and completely resolve in the other the staining issues that some white dogs have.

I've been using saturated round flat cotton pads, and holding them against the eye as well as removing gunk - just can't tell if anything is making it through the cracks - he's definitely scrunching up really tight! Thanks for the tips on optrex though DD.

When my boy's eyes get "goopy", I know that his 'system' is running low and that his digestive issues are likely to show another flair up.

If they're not red and the goop isn't at the really green stage, you should get some improvement via the Calendula Tea wash. After rinsing them in the mornings, use fresh pads (I use make-up removal pads) saturated in the Calendula Tea to wipe through the day. Tilt your dog's head upwards as you do this, as it helps the excess liquid make its way through the lids. Try to hold his head up until he blinks and then wipe across the eye lids (which he should close).

I find it helps to teach your dog to be backed to a corner when treating as it helps to free up your hands from holding and stops him backing away. I only have to say "in your corner" to my boy now, and he positions himself to the right spot :) . He knows he always gets a treat straight after any treatment.

Edited by Erny

just bought some - Juno has a spot on her back knee that's missing hair which she won't allow to grow back, and Hunter has itchy feet. Hopefully we get some good results! Might take some finangeling to work out the best way to apply ... normally the pups get washed in the shower, might have to reintroduce to the bath tub. A rubber mat is a good tip :)

Another way to get it where it needs to go is to use one of those bottles they use for hair dye or an empty squeezy sauce bottle with a nozzle type top.

Its a more systematic application and more cost effective than just pouring it over

Unfortunately he hates me going near his eyes, so when I try to straddle him he twists and lies on his back :( Might try some 2 person wrangling tonight...

He's really good about most things, but just hates the eyes!

That's interesting about him possibly being a bit run down. I gave him a probiotic yesterday, so hopefully that will help too if he's a bit off.

Another way to get it where it needs to go is to use one of those bottles they use for hair dye or an empty squeezy sauce bottle with a nozzle type top.

Its a more systematic application and more cost effective than just pouring it over

great idea! I'm glad they are a short haired breed ... I looked after a maremma just before Christmas and couldn't imagine taking care of a coat like that full time. You would need to buy in bulk for one wash :laugh:

great idea! I'm glad they are a short haired breed ... I looked after a maremma just before Christmas and couldn't imagine taking care of a coat like that full time. You would need to buy in bulk for one wash :laugh:

So far- touch wood none of my Maremma have ever needed it - but yes they would get the sauce bottle treatment for sure rofl1.gif