O M G! Calendula Tea Rinse

I'd just like to extend my thanks to Erny for sharing her knowledge on using Calendula Tea as a rinse, rather than using a shampoo. I've just given my two dogs a calendula bath and OMG! Their coats have come up looking absobloodylutely AMAZING!!

Kirah's wire coat has kept all its coarse wire texture but it smells so fresh and looks so clean. Zeus has always had a shiny coat but because it's so hot today, I gave him a cool rinse too and again, his coat just looks wonderful.

Thank you so much Erny for letting DOLers know about this wonderful tea and its benefits as both a rinse and itch/allergy treatment!!

I didn't know that the Marigold was the same as Calendula. I've tried growing them, but the snails/slugs always got there first. Think I'll try again and snail proof the plants.

The dogs have been a bit itchy and I've put it down to the hot weather and lawn that you can almost see grow - mown about 4 times in the past fortnight.

Fantastic, RSA!! Glad you are as impressed as I am. I tend to find a lot of people place the Calendula Tea as a 'last resort' attempt rather than a 'first resort' attempt. Or, because it doesn't sud-up, can't imagine that it will clean. When really, it is amazingly good, is cheap by comparison to many shampoos (which tends to strip the coat and skin of oils regardless) and Veterinary line products, is as easy as cinch to use, and can help avoid the heavier types of treatments. And hey, what has anyone lost if they try it first? No harm to dog. No huge expense (in time or money).

I love that you think it as good as I do. Sometimes I think people think I'm a "Calendula Tea crackpot". Lol ….. there are times when I've thought so myself. But it is worth trying to get people to try it and I'm delighted that you did and that you are as pleased with results as I am.

Good on you :D :thumbsup:

Edited to add : I read somewhere that it isn't quite as simple as growing a marigold plant and using the petals and middle bits …. that there was something more in the drying method. I don't know if that's correct or not and haven't followed that side of things up. I find it easier to purchase - the time I'd spend cultivating and drying probably wouldn't be worth the effort by comparison to the cost of the relatively small amounts I need these days.

Steve - I'll be looking to purchase some from you when I next need to replenish my supply which has dwindled a fair amount, but that's because I've given bits of it away here and there to help people out whilst they've arranged to get some in. Last half packet I gave away to a friend who was struck with a bad head-cold. She brewed the tea, let it cool, and then 'drank' the tea through her nose. Said it worked wonders for her sinuses. (I've done this with salt water, but learnt the hard way not to over salt it. Calendula would be much more soothing :) ).

Edited by Erny

I didn't know that the Marigold was the same as Calendula. I've tried growing them, but the snails/slugs always got there first. Think I'll try again and snail proof the plants.

The dogs have been a bit itchy and I've put it down to the hot weather and lawn that you can almost see grow - mown about 4 times in the past fortnight.

Not any old marigold has to be Calendula officinalis .Seeds are easy to get and when you collect them after they grow you can save some seeds for next growing season. When you grow them you pick the flower heads and the more you pick them the more they grow.They also grow well in pots the grow well in all soils where other flowers grow as long as they don't get waterlogged thee bloom for months and you cant pick them enough. Pick them and lay them out to dry in a shady area - we use wire screens to allow the air to circulate and you can also use an electric dehydrator .The secret is to be super sure they are dried where the air can circulate and that they are dried properly before you store them in airtight containers in a dark place. The chemicals which are in them remain active. we also have 100% Calendula essential oil which I use in lotions and creams, massage oils etc but you can make your own which is almost as good by putting some Calendua flowers in a glass jar and cover it with a carrier oils such as Jojoba or almond and leave it in the sun for about 4 weeks then strain the flowers out and bottle the oil. You can also make a tincture by doing the same thing but using 100% proof vodka instead of the oil - when you use the oil or tincture dont use it straight but add it to oils, creams etc at a rate of about 3%. I make one with a goatsmilk lotion base - beautiful.

Edited by Steve

I'm going to try & bath my male BC with this then as his coat has gone off of late. I think I have washed him too much & stripped the natural oils out of it to be honest :o I even found a small amount of dandruff near the top of his tail. Stupid me....

how much would you use to boil say.... by litre?

2 tablespoon of the tea leaves?

1 Tablespoon per 2 cups - Just make it like a cup of tea by pouring boiling water over it and let it seep until its cool

don't save it and use it within a few hours of making. Because microbes love to grow in water and a preservative is not used , storing for later use can be dangerous to you and your pet. Should be made fresh and used right away.

The chemicals in calendula help new tissue grow in wounds and decrease swelling in the mouth and throat. Here's a study re active chemical properties. Link

Calendula rinse is best for dogs that have hotspots and eczema.It reduces the itch.

I can also whip you up lotions, creams and ointments with calendula extract for using on places such as sore paws, humans including a very beautiful one which has a goat's milk base and has worked like a miracle for humans and dogs.

When using the extract rather than the tea - oil and water don't mix so I have another magic addition which I use made from sugar cane to make the oil and water mix. To prevent bacteria you can add a few drops of rosemary oil, lavender oil, peppermint oil all of which are also great for itchy skin too.

And when you make it - anything you don't use you can freeze and use again tomorrow.

Dont use it orally if pregnant or breast feeding and Taking calendula orally along with sedative medications might cause too much sleepiness.

Edited by Steve