O M G! Calendula Tea Rinse

Hi Steve, want to get in touch with you regarding my dog and your recommendations. Couldn't find an email or number on your web site and your in box is full on this forum so can you send me a message with your details please? Thank you :)

Hi Steve, want to get in touch with you regarding my dog and your recommendations. Couldn't find an email or number on your web site and your in box is full on this forum so can you send me a message with your details please? Thank you :)

Ill empty my inbox a bit but [email protected] or 0269276707. Ill also go and put the contact details on the website. Meant to do it weeks ago.

the dog's have been pretty good since I bought my tea with no rashes etc popping up (typical, once i had found something that might help :laugh: ) so i haven't really had a need to use it.

However, Hunter has developed little bumps on his head, which have spread over the course of a couple of days down his neck and onto his back. So now i get a chance to put it to good use! I have started using the sauce bottle idea mentioned a little while ago and it certainly seems to be the easiest way to apply it. :)

I'm not sure what has caused this latest issue - diet and everything is the same and Hunter has been good since we changed over to raw. We thought it might have been sand fly bites as we were at the creek last weekend right before the bumps started to show up, but new bumps have come up since then so i don't think that's it. Must be something seasonal in the garden i think :confused:

I will continue to rinse with the calendula and let you all know how I go :)

My boys coat/skin condition has improved dramatically over recent times & I haven't started using the tea yet but have just read the ingredient label on Plush Puppy's Sea breeze Oil as I have been using this product as a rinse aid after their daily swim & "surprise, surprise" Calendula is one of the main ingredients :thumbsup:

Edited by BC Crazy

Hi Steve,

I have a foster sheltie here who has very dry skin, it mostly down near her tail. She was groomed before I got her, and she had bald patches, because there was matted hair. But still after a couple of months the skin is still quite dry. If you rub it or brush the fur, it looks like dandruff through it. I've been giving her flaxseed capsules with her dinner and her coat itself looks quite healthy. Do you think the tea rinse would help?

ETA - I haven't washed her, as I was concerned it would dry the skin further.

Edited by Michelleva

I'm not Steve and she will, I'm sure, be able to add more in terms of advice and info, but if it were me I would use the Calendula Tea to wash your dog in. Is there an oiliness to the feel of the skin (usually identified by the residue on your fingers after a good bout of handling)?

Could be yeast.

Could still go back to diet.

I'm assuming the bald patches grown back?

I'm not Steve and she will, I'm sure, be able to add more in terms of advice and info, but if it were me I would use the Calendula Tea to wash your dog in. Is there an oiliness to the feel of the skin (usually identified by the residue on your fingers after a good bout of handling)?

Could be yeast.

The hair has all grown back and its not oily at all. If you rub the skin, she has flaky white bits that go through the coat, it really looks like dandruff.

Could be yeast.

The hair has all grown back and its not oily at all. If you rub the skin, she has flaky white bits that go through the coat, it really looks like dandruff.

I understand the flaky white bits you talk about. I refer to it as "scurf". My dog will have this from time to time. His is yeast based. It tends to show when his system is running 'low' (i.e. it is trying to deal with something else) and this is when the yeast numbers grow in excess. Is it the coat you're feeling for oiliness, or the skin? Sorry, don't mean to be harping/doubting your answer …. just uncertain that I'm being clear.

Glad the bald patches have grown back. If the coat was poor and/or the bald patches were still evident in one shape or form, I'd be pondering a thyroid issue. Not totally ruled out but far less likely if there's no other issues.

Edited by Erny

Could be yeast.

I understand the flaky white bits you talk about. I refer to it as "scurf". My dog will have this from time to time. His is yeast based. It tends to show when his system is running 'low' (i.e. it is trying to deal with something else) and this is when the yeast numbers grow in excess. Is it the coat you're feeling for oiliness, or the skin? Sorry, don't mean to be harping/doubting your answer …. just uncertain that I'm being clear.

Glad the bald patches have grown back. If the coat was poor and/or the bald patches were still evident in one shape or form, I'd be pondering a thyroid issue. Not totally ruled out but far less likely if there's no other issues.

I just had a good look at her coat and the dry skin starts at about half way down her back and gets worse towards the tail. She's not itchy at all. If I rub my hands through the coat or brush it, all the flaky skin loosens. She's an ex puppy farm dog, so I imagine her diet was pretty ordinary for the first 3 -4 years of her life. I've felt both the hair and the skin and neither feel oily to me.

Thanks for the clarifications.

If it were me, I'd use the Calendula Tea rinse until it clears.

If it returns, it means the "cause" for the dry skin still persists and needs to be looked into further.

Consider things such as too frequent bathing/washes (with shampoo); too much swimming.

Are these things possible?

One form of mites, Cheyetiella, looks like dandruff,and dogs from large breeding establishments are a prime target for them - these are easy to see with a magnifying glass,normally infect the area you have described and will jump onto humans too and cause skin issues.Take a magnifying glass and have a good look to eliminate this as the cause first though if the dog isnt itchy its a fair chance its not this but If this is the problem come back as there are lots of natural alternatives to treat it and get rid of it other than strong chemicals.Thyroid disorders and food allergies, may cause this as well as more serious things such as diabetes and cushings.You really do need a vet diagnosis then you know what you are working with and how to treat it. Omega fatty acids are great but sometimes the problem is that the dog cant make the enzymes needed to use these properly and nothing ,not ever, nothing will work indefinitely as a stand alone supplement if you don't have the things in the diet the dog needs to assimilate and produce enzymes. Fatty acids need to be balanced ratios as they need each other and they need vitamins and minerals to work the way they need to.So take a really long look at what you are feeding too.If she has been neglected with her diet for the first part of her life some processes may have shut down and be preventing her from being able to assimilate certain nutrients too.

So Im advising you to get a vet check and a diagnosis first and / or send her fur away for a check. Then look at what you can see happening with her skin holistically as a symptom not the cause and that's where we can help.

• While you're waiting to find out the cause -and if you eliminate the mites. Bathe your dog only when necessary, since bathing dries out the skin and removes necessary body oils. Most dogs that receive routine brushing and grooming need baths only if they get something on their coats that brushing or wiping can't remove.Much as Id like to sell you bucket fulls of our shampoo this is a much better way of treating it unless the dog is really dirty. Skip the shampoo and go right to rinsing with the Calendula tea when ever you can.
  • Or - You can massage coconut oil into the skin and let it sit for about an 2 hours. Shampoo normally then use the Calendula tea. You can also look for a shampoo that already contains coconut oil. Our vital skin shampoo and leave in conditioner has coconut oil [and Calendula oil]
  • if its mites - you'll love what works the quickest for that.rofl1.gif

Edited by Steve

Thanks for the clarifications.

If it were me, I'd use the Calendula Tea rinse until it clears.

If it returns, it means the "cause" for the dry skin still persists and needs to be looked into further.

Consider things such as too frequent bathing/washes (with shampoo); too much swimming.

Are these things possible?

She's only been washed and groomed once by the rescue group prior to me getting her and she's been to the beach once with me, so thats not the issue. I will get some of the tea anyway, as I think it will be great for my daughter as well who has problems with nasea.

One form of mites, Cheyetiella, looks like dandruff,and dogs from large breeding establishments are a prime target for them - these are easy to see with a magnifying glass,normally infect the area you have described and will jump onto humans too and cause skin issues.Take a magnifying glass and have a good look to eliminate this as the cause first though if the dog isnt itchy its a fair chance its not this but If this is the problem come back as there are lots of natural alternatives to treat it and get rid of it other than strong chemicals.Thyroid disorders and food allergies, may cause this as well as more serious things such as diabetes and cushings.You really do need a vet diagnosis then you know what you are working with and how to treat it. Omega fatty acids are great but sometimes the problem is that the dog cant make the enzymes needed to use these properly and nothing ,not ever, nothing will work indefinitely as a stand alone supplement if you don't have the things in the diet the dog needs to assimilate and produce enzymes. Fatty acids need to be balanced ratios as they need each other and they need vitamins and minerals to work the way they need to.So take a really long look at what you are feeding too.If she has been neglected with her diet for the first part of her life some processes may have shut down and be preventing her from being able to assimilate certain nutrients too.

So Im advising you to get a vet check and a diagnosis first and / or send her fur away for a check. Then look at what you can see happening with her skin holistically as a symptom not the cause and that's where we can help.

• While you're waiting to find out the cause -and if you eliminate the mites. Bathe your dog only when necessary, since bathing dries out the skin and removes necessary body oils. Most dogs that receive routine brushing and grooming need baths only if they get something on their coats that brushing or wiping can't remove.Much as Id like to sell you bucket fulls of our shampoo this is a much better way of treating it unless the dog is really dirty. Skip the shampoo and go right to rinsing with the Calendula tea when ever you can.
  • Or - You can massage coconut oil into the skin and let it sit for about an 2 hours. Shampoo normally then use the Calendula tea. You can also look for a shampoo that already contains coconut oil. Our vital skin shampoo and leave in conditioner has coconut oil [and Calendula oil]
  • if its mites - you'll love what works the quickest for that.rofl1.gif

Thanks for the advice Steve I will get a magnifying glass and have a closer look. I'm doubtful that its mites though.

Oh WOW, what an extensive read, thank you everyone for the input.

I was sold halfway through the thread and went and ordered some Calendula tea from Steve for my Staffy that has itchy belly and paws. He is at present on steroids :mad I can't wait for the tea to arrive and will let you all know my findings. I am sure they will be like everyone else's - extraordinary.

Very interesting read. Have since been able to tell a few customers about my findings here, and have ordered some from you Steve to try out :thumbsup: Biscuit sometimes gets itchy paws which has been mostly cleared through diet, however I think it'll also be great for Rusty and Cherry (in particular Rusty) as they get that "doggy smell" and I don't particularly like washing them anymore than once a month, so hoping a tea rinse will be a nice natural way to help remove some odours. Not that I mind, I'm used to it, but others don't appreciate it :laugh:

Thank you all for sharing all your information and findings with this, in particular Erny and Steve :thanks:

As a sideline to this conversation, it also may be useful to know that sometimes white flakes can be a build up from shampoos, conditioners and shiny coat sprays that contain silicone as well as not rinsing your dog properly after a wash.

I actually just gave Bonnie a bath yesterday with Aloveen shampoo and made sure she was thoroughly rinsed and 90% of the flakes are gone. :thumbsup: I'm still going to get some calendula tea, I've done a lot of reading up on it, and its useful for lots of things, as well as the dogs.

As a sideline to this conversation, it also may be useful to know that sometimes white flakes can be a build up from shampoos, conditioners and shiny coat sprays that contain silicone as well as not rinsing your dog properly after a wash.

I actually just gave Bonnie a bath yesterday with Aloveen shampoo and made sure she was thoroughly rinsed and 90% of the flakes are gone. :thumbsup: I'm still going to get some calendula tea, I've done a lot of reading up on it, and its useful for lots of things, as well as the dogs.

Yes rinsing properly makes a huge difference. I had a groomer approach me as to why white flakes were appearing after a hydrobath and they use natural shampoos. This was happening to otherwise healthy dogs and I did some research and found that it was the owners who weren't rinsing their dogs properly which created a build up of white flakes that the hydrobath was dislodging.

Depends on what it's being used for. If for skin ailments that are very uncomfortable for the dog, 3 to 4 times a day. There's no real 'rule', although I'm conscious about having the skin wet too much for too long. But when it is bad, I use it for soothing sake. As the skin irritation abates, reduce the times per day until it appears under control and then back it down to once a day until the skin inflammation has gone and the skin is well into healing mode.

That's what I do, anyway. Never came with instruction book for me ….. I just went by 'feel' and intuition.

If it's only as a rinse to freshen up ….. I don't wash my dog any more than I have to and that can be once or often at most, twice a year.

If he's just a bit on the whiffy side because of wherever he's been and the smell is mainly in his coat, I just use a saturated cloth and give him a rub over with it.

Edited by Erny