O M G! Calendula Tea Rinse

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I haven't read the whole thread. Can you use fresh calendular flowers to make a rinse for itchy dogs. The house across the road from a friend will soon be bulldozed for apartments. The elderly Italian man had the most wonderful veggie garden, and has left it all behind :cry: I went across the other day and the grape vines are all starting to set fruit, there's artichokes, fennel, aniseed, dill, parsley, peach, nectarine, olive, fig and possibly quince trees and many more, lots of herbs and everywhere orange and yellow calendular (or marigold?) plants. I'm looking after a little puppy who has itchy skin and I'm thinking about transplanting alot of these flowers to my place. Wondering if they can be used fresh or must they be dried?

• 6 years later...
1 hour ago, Little Gifts said:

I know this is an old topic but does anyone know how the calendula is with ring worm on dogs? Looks like a foster with it is coming our way. Thank you!

No idea about calendula, but have had great results with Canesten Once Daily cream from the chemist... and it renders the lesions non-contagious within 48 hours of application. F10 shampoo is also good at rendering the lesions non-contagious in the same sort of timeframe, but needs a contact time of at least 10 mins before rinsing off to be truly effective.

T.

• Like 2

Do you have malaseb or nizoral in your stash? And some anti fungal cream for the lesions? They will tide you over and stop it's spread if not shrink it.
Canesten also have a laundry liquid for clothes and bedding. 

You can also use the UV light from Covid tests to check the lesions for little glowing bits. :) Not really helpful but I guess but still fascinating. 

There's an oral med from the vet that they will prescribe, it's not like the old ones who used to batter the liver pretty badly.

So I haven't answered your question :laugh: but topical treatments can be fairly drying so a Calendula or green tea spritz couldn't hurt.  

• Like 2

Thank you too Powerlegs! They told me they were on his tummy (not how many) and even though they didn't seem busy were not interested in doing a handover of any kind. I've been all over him and can't see them. With his dark hair and light skin I thought they'd be easy to find. Will bath him tomorrow and have to wait for vet visit. We are sanitising frequently as he wants lots of cuddles and smooches. He's a very happy boy.

I have to reduce photos of him so I can add them.

• Like 3