Sign in to follow this  
RiverStar-Aura

O M G! Calendula Tea Rinse

369 posts in this topic

I bought some of the Hilde Hemmes Calendula Officionalis tea from Healthy Life for my boy who has been very itchy of late. I washed him in Aloveen then used it as a rinse. He's only scratching the two parts I forgot to rinse: his face and neck! He's stopped biting his thighs and licking his front legs, and his coat is beautiful and soft.

Erny/Steve: Is it ok to give a toy dog (3.8kg) a full heaped tablespoon of spent flowers at once? If not, how long can you keep them refrigerated? And do you know if it's ok for dogs with Addison's Disease to eat? I could not find any info online about interactions with his medication (Percorten) which leads me to believe it's ok, but I can ask his vet.

Erny   

I haven't been on this board for ages! A big coincidence that I've dropped in here. Delighted to see Calendula Tea continues to help many - such a benign treatment that is so incredibly helpful :D .

If Steve is around she is free to counter me, but to answer your question IMO I don't think there's any harm offering the spent flowers at one go. If she's fed more than once a day, perhaps feed half with each meal. Listen to your dog. If she doesn't eat it, or goes off from eating it, then perhaps it's too much.

Regards the Addisons Disease - I don't think the spent Calendula Tea flowers would be contraindicated, but that's only my guess. But on the note of Addisons Disease, I'd strongly recommend you research "LDN" (Low Dose Naltrexone).

In fact, the topic of LDN in the treatment of auto-immune related conditions could well be my next "Erny's Calendula Tea" thread. I have spent the past 18 months researching/reading on LDN. Not many Doctors or Vets know about it but it is proving to be somewhat of a miracle drug, one which has barely any known side effects (mainly a bit of sleep disturbance in the early days). It isn't a drug that goes straight to the "condition" but rather, it tricks the mind to increasing the functional ability of the Immune System two and up to three-fold. This in turn brings the immune system to be able to fight and bring balance against the diseases which cause the troublesome symptoms we recognise. This counts for humans and it also counts for animals - it is being used in dogs and cats and I am about to embark on using it to help my own dog.

It is used by humans for such a huge range of conditions : ME/CFS; MS; certain Cancers (including lymphoma); Thyroid conditions; and so, so much more!! Some doctors have even reported it halting the progress of Alzheimers Disease. I've read a little of personal reports where there has even been some improvement in this condition, although whether that's attributed to LDN or coincidence remains to be proven. There is so much yet to be proven and documented in its use.

I take it myself, for my own reasons and whilst for years there seemed nothing that made any discernible difference, finally I am onto something that is bringing some really good results! I spent almost 12 months deliberating before trialling it, feeling very dubious about it being too good to be true. But finally building the confidence I needed, took the plunge and I don't think I'll be regretting it. Apparently the reason it's not widely heralded by the drug manufacturers relates to a patent on its original form, which is "Naltrexone". This was and is used to help people break their addiction to opiats. The standard dosage for Naltrexone is 50mg. With Low-Dose Naltrexone, the standard dosage ranges from 0.5mg to 4.5mg. And when used at this lower dosage, it works differently and this is where it is now being recognised for its therapeutic advantages. Unfortunately the patent discourages drug manufacturers from spending the tonnes of money required for rigorous testing. That and the fact that LDN is quite cheap. Because LDN is used "off label" it has to be compounded down to these low dosages by a compounding pharmacy. The trick is in finding a Doctor/Vet who is willing to prescribe it. Compounding pharmacies do exist.

But there are forums out there and if you take the time to read and read and read you will hear so many reports from those who have been using LDN for years, from those who have only just started out on it and from those about to embark on it. Honest stories that give reports of both trials and tribulations.

So, long story (I haven't changed, lol) short, for your dog's condition, read up on it. If you want a link to the LDN Pets forum let me know and I'll put it up.

Edited by Erny

Steve   

If anyone is interested Ive got a stock take sale on Calendula Flowers [Organic] $4 for 50g

Hetty   

Hi all, I washed my Lloyd with this last week, but I'm thinking of doing it again tomorrow for the Frenchie fun day, just to freshen him up. I know with dog shampoo washing them too often makes them produce too many oils and thus smell, can I overdo the tea or is it not possible?

I have plenty Steve but I'm interested for friends, but it is coming up as $9 for me still.

Edited by Hetty

Steve   

Hi all, I washed my Lloyd with this last week, but I'm thinking of doing it again tomorrow for the Frenchie fun day, just to freshen him up. I know with dog shampoo washing them too often makes them produce too many oils and thus smell, can I overdo the tea or is it not possible?

I have plenty Steve but I'm interested for friends, but it is coming up as $9 for me still.

Ive changed the price on the website now and no you cant over do it .

Thanks again Kisses - I just found Steve's ad for it in the Marketplace at OT.

Tks for this bump, and to Erny for all the detail.

Aloveen wash + calendula tea rinse for Malcolm today. He was stinky (sorry Mal) and excessively licking his legs and paws, which for him can be grass related in the warmer months. Bumping this thread as I know there's been some itchy dog posts of late. :)

Kirislin   

I haven't read the whole thread. Can you use fresh calendular flowers to make a rinse for itchy dogs. The house across the road from a friend will soon be bulldozed for apartments. The elderly Italian man had the most wonderful veggie garden, and has left it all behind :cry: I went across the other day and the grape vines are all starting to set fruit, there's artichokes, fennel, aniseed, dill, parsley, peach, nectarine, olive, fig and possibly quince trees and many more, lots of herbs and everywhere orange and yellow calendular (or marigold?) plants. I'm looking after a little puppy who has itchy skin and I'm thinking about transplanting alot of these flowers to my place. Wondering if they can be used fresh or must they be dried?