O M G! Calendula Tea Rinse

I bought Hilde Hemmes brand Calendula Flower (calendula officinalis) from the healthfood shop. I assume it is okay as it says it contain 50g of the dried herb. If anyone knows if this is no good please let me know.

It should be fine as long as you only use about a tablespoon per litre. I would not use copious amounts of it as your dog may have an allergic reaction to it due to the natural chemicals that exist in plants that dogs and humans can have dermal sensitivities to. I would probably buy an organic product as there could be residual pesticides on the flowers but i'm sure it will be fine if it's being sold for human consumption.

Where does everyone get this? I have two itchy dogs I want to try it on but would prefer to not buy online. Would supermarkets have it? Health food shops?

If you look back in the thread Steve sells the fair dinkum organic stuff :thumbsup

ETA This is Steve's site.

Edited by Bonfire

I bought Hilde Hemmes brand Calendula Flower (calendula officinalis) from the healthfood shop. I assume it is okay as it says it contain 50g of the dried herb. If anyone knows if this is no good please let me know.

Yes its good - not organic but should still do the job.

I will also buy from steve next time :)

I am SO happy with the stuff !! It is GREAT to stop heat rash /itches for hoomans :)

Dont forget to put it on your wrinkles too - My 17 year old loves it as its rubbed out his pimples almost over night - I use it as a toner and after shave

I recently had a lump removed from my lower lip which now has three dissolvable stitches in it. As you can imagine, being on the lip it is hard to keep dry and still! It started to get a bit inflamed, infected and itchy. On doctors advice I started to apply antibiotic, anti-inflammatory and anaesthetic cream but it wasn't really helping, except for easing the itch.

After reading this thread I dipped into the dog's bag of calendula tea, brewed some up and applied it to my lip. Stung for a few seconds and then relief, and it looks a lot calmer as well.

So, now I brew some everyday and keep it in the fridge and some if for my lips and some is for the dog's paws :laugh:

And I don't mind it to drink, but I am a herbal tea lover and it is a really mild one.

My order arrived the other day but haven't been back online - thanks Steve! I didn't realise how much 150g would be haha

So far tried using it in a spray bottle but Hunter freaks out :laugh:

I am planning on bathing them this afternoon and using it as the leave in rinse so will see if that goes any better. The dogs didn;t seem to have any issue with the taste of the brewed flowers added to their dinner so that was good!

Edited by Lasareina

I'm convinced and have placed an order. I hope it went through ok J. I messed up my email addy and had to go back and change it.

I ordered the calendula cream as well as the flowers.

My dogs are often itchy after a bath and I'm hoping a rinse with the calendula tea will prevent the itchies.

Will it leave a yellow tinge on the white on my dog? That's my only concern.

I'm convinced and have placed an order. I hope it went through ok J. I messed up my email addy and had to go back and change it.

I ordered the calendula cream as well as the flowers.

My dogs are often itchy after a bath and I'm hoping a rinse with the calendula tea will prevent the itchies.

Will it leave a yellow tinge on the white on my dog? That's my only concern.

Yes it went through O.K. Thank you I very much doubt that it will leave a yellow tinge but will be interested to hear back from you

There are several studies showing the differences in organic versus non organic with the immune system and its not just about whether they use chemicals to grow them either - here is one. Not sure I understand why or how but My conclusion is for an extra dollar the organic is probably the best.

My link

Abstract

Extracts of dried flowers from Calendula officinalis were examined for their ability to inhibit the human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) replication. Both organic and aqueous extracts were relatively nontoxic to human lymphocytic Molt-4 cells, but only the organic one exhibited potent anti-HIV activity in an in vitro MTT/tetrazolium-based assay. In addition, in the presence of the organic extract (500 micrograms/mL), the uninfected Molt-4 cells were completely protected for up to 24 h from fusion and subsequent death, caused by cocultivation with persistently infected U-937/HIV-1 cells. It was also found that the organic extract from Calendula officinalis flowers caused a significant dose- and time-dependent reduction of HIV-1 reverse transcription (RT) activity. An 85% RT inhibition was achieved after a 30 min treatment of partially purified enzyme in a cell-free system. These results suggested that organic extract of flowers from Calendula officinalis possesses anti-HIV properties of therapeutic interest.

Edited by Steve

I brewed around 4 tablespoons worth and added to my huskies clam shell splash pool with around 2 inches of water as he digs in it 6-10 times a day in the hot weather :D So he happily gives himself a rinse and the occasional drink.

I do give him a correct dose with a spray bottle all over once a week though.

My Pug doesn't get itchy but I'm wondering if the calendula tea might have coat conditioning properties??

At the moment he gets washed with Melrose organic shampoo with a few drops each of organic rosemary, lavender and tea tree oil added to 500 ml of shampoo (I buy it in bulk).

Edited by puggedforlife

My Pug doesn't get itchy but I'm wondering if the calendula tea might have coat conditioning properties??

At the moment he gets washed with Melrose organic shampoo with a few drops each of organic rosemary, lavender and tea tree oil added to 500 ml of shampoo (I buy it in bulk).

Ive got a leave on or wash off PH balanced conditioner with calendula - if you want to give it a go P.M. me your address and Ill send you a sample - its not on the website yet

Ive got that and several more things to add but the awards have me on go slow until I've called all of the nominees - so its coming next.crossfingers.gif

Ive got a leave on or wash off PH balanced conditioner with calendula - if you want to give it a go P.M. me your address and Ill send you a sample - its not on the website yet

Ive got that and several more things to add but the awards have me on go slow until I've called all of the nominees - so its coming next.crossfingers.gif

Excellent, thanks! I will PM you now :)