11 Month Old Gsd Suddenly Wont Walk On Leash

markacino

Hi all,

My 11 month old GSD Kaiser is very good on leash, walks well and rarely pulls (unless he has his eye on a tasty duck at the lake).

Until the last 2 weeks.

He blatantly refuses to move for some reason. The second we go out the front door he plonks himself on the ground and will not budge. If I open the car door, he gets excited and jumps in.

I can live with that, not walking him around home BUT when we get to a park/oval etc he will walk maybe 50 metres from the car then plonk himself down again. Refusing to budge.

If I turn around and head towards the car he will happily walk along. If I then turn around again he will not budge! Ive tried coaxing him along with a favourite toy or some treats but no deal.

Nothing bad or scary has happened to him on any of the walks we have been on. He is well socialized and is good around most dogs and people.

Is this just a phase he is going through at his age?? Its as if he feels the need to be at home and protect it or something??

Any help appreciated.

post-49311-0-73072900-1389825077_thumb.jpg

Edited by markacino

Thanks for the replies.

Definitely no soreness anywhere he runs around like crazy in the back yard playing fetch and jumping in his pool.

And yeah it is bloody hot at the moment here in Melbourne. This started happening approx 2 weeks ago regardless of the weather though.

Don't let him plonk down. It's obstinance if there's nothing physically wrong. Don't ask him or beg him with treats, as you see he's giving you the old finger. Pop his collar and keep walking until he follows like it or not, say nothing and reward for following. Don't give in to stubbornness :laugh: