Fleas!

Help, my dog has fleas!!! and i mean i can pick 20 off him in about 2 minutes. He had the groomer come had a flea rinse, he has had 2 lots of chews, capstar 5 days running, a flea collar and i put the stuff you put on their butt and neck at about 10am. Just now at least 20 fleas i saw and one was even touching the flea collar!!

I am flea bombing the house tomorrow but what can i do???

No more chemicals on the dog hopefully :)

If the fleas are in the environment he will just keep getting them. Can he stay elsewhere for a few days while the house is being treated? Also thoroughly wash any bedding in hot water and a eucalyptus rinse and dry in the sun. Its very hard to break the cycle once they are in the house :(

Yoiks!!!

poor Dog . please stop filling his body with insecticide .....

BREATHE .

go out for the day ..with dog.

flea bomb every room .

discard bedding .... or leave to be bombed.

and bedding outdoors.. spray ..then wash ..vacuum every surface indoors ....

comb dog twice a day ..remove any fleas....

if you have stray cats visiting ..try & discourage them ..

Same problem here... bloody fleas seem to be resistant to 2 types of treatment so far... Comfortis and Advantage. Not giving them anything else in case they end up poisoned though... we may have to just scratch our way through summer this year.

Funnily enough it's only 2 of my 4 dogs that the fleas won't disappear from... the other 2 were fine after the Comfortis only... *sigh*

I'm in suburban Sydney...

T.

We are eastern suburbs Melbourne. Those treatments have been over the last month. Hopefully the flea bombing works I guess, poor dog he is in so much pain with them biting him. At least the flea comb gets the adult ones out

yeh - I had a brainfart - thought you were in NSW.

Have you considered trying some of the old school options? And please note I'm not saying any of these WILL work. Just MIGHT be worth a try.

Garlic, Yeast or Apple Cider in diet

Diatomaceous Earth around the house / yard

Essential Oil? I use lavender in a spray bottle. Last time we had terrible fleas (and a cat) we'd spray the pet and human bedding twice a day as well as the lounge. Both collars (dog and cat got a few drops lavender and all bedding was washed in it too). Dunno if it helped too much but it appeared to.

Other oils;

Citronella

Peppermint

Eucalyptus

Cedar

Lemongrass

Edited by Scottsmum

I feel your pain. We've just been suffering flea infestation recently & nothing topical seems to work.

Luckily we've finally been able to remove my dog & thanks to Advocate & capstar, seem to have finally beaten it. We will be fleabombing the other place once we've finished moving out.

Flea bombing is the best thing for it, you need to kill the fleas in the environment.

In an infestation in years gone past, I tried every natural remedy known, & got zero results, just a funky smelling, very itchy dog.

Then we hit the house with flea bombs, gave the dog capstar every second day for a week (did you know it's got up to 98% efficacy for the second day?), followed up with a spot on treatment & we beat the bastards.

A friend suggested spraying permoxin in the yard too, but that wasn't necessary.

The only way to beat a bad flea infestation is at ground level..... environmental comtrol is a must. Flea bombing is the most efficient way but before that there are a couple of other things that should be done to the house.

Replace or wash and thoroughly air all the dog bedding. If you have matting or runners in the house these should be vacuumed thoroughly, and taken outside and aired and if possible spray with a flea spray.

All "human" bedding should be washed and aired as well, because it's so easy for flea larvae and eggs to live in any type of material. Careful attention needs to be given to lounges and chairs etc when flea bombs are set off. Make sure that the cushions are lifted to ensure that the fog can penetrate well. Immediately prior to flea bombing, thoroughly vacuum the entire house paying particular attention to carpets.

All dogs and cats in the household must be treated for fleas at the same time. Cats are often the stumbling block for good flea control because of their propensity for reinfestation with adult fleas.

Any flea treatment given to the animals in the house should be continued for at least 2 months as the flea life cycle is about 6 weeks.

Edited by Wundahoo

• 2 weeks later...

Gosh if it's that bad you probably need to get a pest control company out. There are alot out there that are environmentally friendly and pet safe. It's also important to wash all bedding and pillow/cushions in hot water and detergent and vacuum every day for at least 2 weeks after the treatment. Good luck!

It took me 2 lots of Comfortis 2 weeks apart AND Advantage spot on to finally kick the fleas here this year. The local vet reckons that the only thing that's working at the moment is the Comfortis, and was most surprised when I advised him that mine took 2 lots plus the spot on.

I'm in the camp that only treats for fleas when I see one on my dogs... I hate dosing them with stuff if I can help it.

T.

• 4 weeks later...

HELP!

We've swapped from frontline / spot on to comfortus. We launder all bedding in hot (95 degree) water at least once every 2 weeks. We have bombed in the past 3 months and I have just found fleas on the dog. I assume from above its OK to dose with comforts more than once a month?

Bombing scheduled for next weekend while we're away. Bath tomorrow. Will redose on comforts / I do also have capstar - which should I use immediately?

If you do not treat the environment you will not get a good result. The Comfortis will be killing the fleas, but newly hatched fleas will be jumping on the dog and they are the ones you will be seeing. You have to treat your house and yard.

If you do not treat the environment you will not get a good result. The Comfortis will be killing the fleas, but newly hatched fleas will be jumping on the dog and they are the ones you will be seeing. You have to treat your house and yard.

+1

Its the yard I don't know how to treat. As I said, we launder the bedding regularly (human, dog and couch covers).

We also vac and mop weekly and check him weekly too. Occasionally add eucalyptus or lavender oil to the to all laundry (including all bedding and clothing, but have not in a while as we're out of both)

We're due to go away next weekend, for the first time since chrissy, so we'll bomb then and we'll bomb again when we go away at the end of the month. Unless I'm missing something I think I have the house as covered as possible.

Have not re-treated with anything yet.

Any other suggestions for the house?

Any tips for the yard? (Yard is very small, has a reasonably healthy lawn - too long at the moment), not too much dirt /no garden beds / opportunity for dust bathing, no access to under the house. )