Boy 9 Seriously Injured In Dog Attack

Yonjuro

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/20822557/boy-9-seriously-injured-in-dog-attack/

UPDATE: The owner of two dogs euthanised after mauling a nine-year-old boy says she has never had any problems with the dogs.

Ambulance crews were called to a Cooper Street home in Mandurah this morning to treat the youngster for head and arm injuries.

He was taken to Princess Margaret Hospital for Children in Perth after initially being taken to the nearby Peel Health Campus.

The boy's 29-year-old mother and grandmother, 50, also were treated for lacerations.

The owner of the female mastiff-cross and male American bulldog surrendered the pets to authorities and the animals were euthanised, a spokeswoman for the City of Mandurah said.

The owner, who did not want to be named, said the three injured people were her relatives.

They were at the house minding her children while she was out.

“I’m in shock,” she told the Mandurah Mail.

“There was blood everywhere.”

The woman said she had owned the dogs since they were puppies and they had never been violent before.

“You can ask our other neighbours - we’ve never had any trouble with them,” she said.

Police and local rangers also attended the property this morning.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't saying it was OK, people were looking for possible reasons so I suggested a couple, if that was my 9 year old I'd have driven my dogs to the vet myself and held them(and probably sobbed in their fur) while they were PTS, I wouldn't ever be able to feel safe around them again :(

I just wish people would think, I don't let strange kids who my dogs aren't used to play with my dogs when I'm not there(well I don't let my own either but I mean with a different adults supervision who isn't familiar with my dogs behaviour), I like to be able to watch the interactions and nip any issues in the bud before they become real problems.

Edited by kelpiecuddles

Would the circumstances really matter to people if the dogs have torn up a child?? Sure there will be reasons it happened. But it happened.

I agree that it's far too late for the injured boy and his family members to gain anything from understanding the circumstances of this attack. :(

Understanding the circumstances of the attack could be of educational use though. The wider community could learn how to prevent this sort of attack in the future.

Sadly, these sort of dog attacks on kids so often share some common themes (dog's owners not present, kids visiting the dog's home to play, etc.) The attacks are understandably, widely-publicised in the media. And yet, they keep happening. And we as a society seem to learn nothing from any of these awful incidents.

I just wish people would think, I don't let strange kids who my dogs aren't used to play with my dogs when I'm not there(well I don't let my own either but I mean with a different adults supervision who isn't familiar with my dogs behaviour), I like to be able to watch the interactions and nip any issues in the bud before they become real problems.

And I agree KC, neither do I. Visiting kids to my house are either carefully supervised, or separated from my dog. He adores kids, but the risks are too high to be complacent.

Heat stress could well have been a factor.

Not likely, the temperature here heats up again tomorrow but today was mild.

Edited by trinabean

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/young-boy-seriously-injured-in-dog-attack-in-mandurah-20140117-30zqt.html

Maybe it should be remembered that dogs deserve their own private space, and not necessarily have to be thrilled when being visited by children or people who do not live in the household. Mine have a room where they can retreat to - and will not feel intimidated by visitors. Precious souls they are.

Edited by gwp4me

mastiff-cross and male American bulldog

In my experience people have a pair of dogs like this for one reason and that's intimidation factor which usually comes with allowing the flexing of some muscle being signs in the dog they appreciate, then one day sadly this happens.

It's not a breed bash I am speaking, it's a genetic configuration in dogs like this that people throw together to create a tough factor not unlike they did years ago with GSD's and Doberman and the breeders of these type of dogs are responsible for the tightening and targeting of Bull breeds within the BSL structure as too many are purposely bred for aggression where the aggression is in the wrong place in the dog's character for usability and stability necessary in a family pet.

In my experience people have a pair of dogs like this for one reason and that's intimidation factor which usually comes with allowing the flexing of some muscle being signs in the dog they appreciate, then one day sadly this happens.

It's not a breed bash I am speaking, it's a genetic configuration in dogs like this that people throw together to create a tough factor not unlike they did years ago with GSD's and Doberman and the breeders of these type of dogs are responsible for the tightening and targeting of Bull breeds within the BSL structure as too many are purposely bred for aggression where the aggression is in the wrong place in the dog's character for usability and stability necessary in a family pet.

Aha. Knew from the first post you were M-Sass. Confirmed.

Very sad story. Hope the little boy recovers well.

My view isn't popular in these pc times. Not saying this is exactly what happened but it makes the point. Kid hits dog on head, kid gets bitten perhaps badly. Tough luck don't hit dog on head again.

When I was very young my friends 4 or 5 year old brother used to sit on 6 foot Wall and tease German Shepherd. One day he fell in and they chewed him up a bit. Every body concerned knew who was at fault and there was never a mention of putting the dogs down.

Pity that kind of pragmatism has been replaced by the nonsense we have today.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk

I think it is important to investigate and understand why an incident occurs, this kill the dog, it was bad attitude teaches us nothing. When an accident occurs on our roads it is investigated, we don't compact the vehicles and wash our hands of it. Dog bites happen for a reason. A dog doesn't simply rollover on it's bed scratch its balls and designate today let's bite a human day.

My view isn't popular in these pc times. Not saying this is exactly what happened but it makes the point. Kid hits dog on head, kid gets bitten perhaps badly. Tough luck don't hit dog on head again.

When I was very young my friends 4 or 5 year old brother used to sit on 6 foot Wall and tease German Shepherd. One day he fell in and they chewed him up a bit. Every body concerned knew who was at fault and there was never a mention of putting the dogs down.

Pity that kind of pragmatism has been replaced by the nonsense we have today.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk

Given that you have absolutely no idea what happened, I think any assessment of this incident is fraught.

More facts and less judgement is what is required here. Sadly, I doubt they will be forthcoming.

Are you serious with this comment! Surely not. :laugh: I'm trying very hard to look at it seriously but it's impossible.

Do you honestly believe that people who own multiple dogs, which might be considered strong or large, only own the dogs to intimidate? Who or what are they intimidating and what kinds of dogs do you think they might have to accomplish this intimidation?

Are you serious with this comment! Surely not. :laugh: I'm trying very hard to look at it seriously but it's impossible.

Do you honestly believe that people who own multiple dogs, which might be considered strong or large, only own the dogs to intimidate? Who or what are they intimidating and what kinds of dogs do you think they might have to accomplish this intimidation?

Unfortunately, not everyone has the same vision of dogs and their uses as the people who participate in pet dog forum discussions, sad but true. In fact it reached a point in the GSD breed where breeders would actually advertise unsuitability as guard dogs to deter the clowns calling up wanting tough dogs for the wrong reasons and if you have ever bred and sold powerful breeds, GSD's Rotties, Dobes particularly, as most breeders of these would confirm that the amount of clowns seeking dogs for guarding, protection and intimidation are most definitely out there.

We can be thankful that the majority of breeders of the more iconic working/protection breeds are careful in breeding A:Sound temperament and character B: Refusing to sell their dogs to clowns who intend to use them for the wrong reasons so what happens is the clowns move on to breed and supply from other breeds of strength which the American Bulldog is part of that group along with Bull breeds, Mastiff's and the like bred on unstable characters and temperament in a BYB fashion to supply the type of dog the clowns admire.

The fact is that good stable dogs regardless of breed don't bite kids full stop unless they are severely tormented or abused by the kid in question. Sadly people owning dogs who have bitten kids tend to make excuses for why the dog reacted and dogs who bite randomly without torment generally do so out of fear, good stable dogs don't bite

because they don't fear and don't care. Like it or not and sugar coat reactivity into something normal in a dog caused by anything other than unstable temperament and character and you have a dog likely to bite kids or anyone for that matter.