Peppi From Cootamundra

Just wanted to let everyone know that Peppi is home and a happy healthy boy, I just need to put some weight on him, my vet has said to just feed him Supercoat puppy dry food (which he would never feed it as the norm) and let him graze, but, I need to know if I can give him anything else as he is not eating much, I know he will only eat what he needs but just need a few tips, with my other parvo dogs over the years they just start eating what the others eat, which is their normal diet Royal Canin, although this lad is only a pup, approx. 6-12 months.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Maree

CPR

I make a huge pot of chicken stock from a whole chicken, let it cool, skim the larger pieces of fat off the top and then strain it through material to get all the fat out and cook the rice in that. With Peppi, I imagine you could leave some of the fat in the stock. I then shred the chicken.

Good luck and wishes to getting Peppi 'fat' and healthy again.

I make a huge pot of chicken stock from a whole chicken, let it cool, skim the larger pieces of fat off the top and then strain it through material to get all the fat out and cook the rice in that. With Peppi, I imagine you could leave some of the fat in the stock. I then shred the chicken.

Good luck and wishes to getting Peppi 'fat' and healthy again.

My vet said ONLY the dry I am not convinced that he had parvo even though the test was positive, he had no blood in his poo at all, he vomited about 3 times not at my place but at the vets, I am not a vet but will do the boiled chicken tomorrow he is really alert and running around so not sure what he had, it is just that he is not eating, the amount he is is about 6 tiny pieces of dry.

Edited by keetamouse

Maree - my two parvo puppies didn't have blood in their stool yet either. We got to them early in the vomiting/listlessness/lack of appetite stage and were able to save them even though it was a very strong positive for parvo. Their littermate Narla (with another carer) who received vet care much later ended up dying when she excreted the lining of her stomach :'(

We fed them bland at first - boiled chicken and rice but once their appetite returned, gave them normal food. Good luck with him.

Edited by koalathebear

I have seen both Parvo and vaccinosis... both look very similar in the initial stages... and both will return a positive Parvo test. Vaccinosis will see a much faster rebound after about 24 hours on a drip...

If puppy is not eating the Supercoat, try the Royal Canin... it certainly won't do any harm, and if he likes it better than the Supercoat, no harm, no foul...

I'd probably lace the dry with human grade chicken mince (raw) as well... worked wonders for runty/sickly pups I've had in the past.

T.

We usually give recovering parvo pups canned Hills A/D with a bit of Nutrigel mixed in. It's designed for convalescing animal so its nutrient rich but gentle on the GI tract. The only downside is that the cans are small and its fairly expensive to feed.

Update

Well Peppe has been on the dry and I mixed some Natures Gift soft in it for the last couple of days and he is lapping it up with no side effects, so as long as he is eating it and is fine I will continue. His energy levels have increased as well, he appears to be a normal happy 12 month old pup.

Maree

Yes the ones I have had have always been told to feed chicken and rice as the diet needs to be bland and would think a puppy dry would be too rich in protein as well for the stomach.

Yes either stream or boil to get the fat out of the chicken too.

My own vet has told me you can receive a lot of false positives with the parvo test when it isn't that at all.

Odds are that if puppy is chewing his drip tube in under 24 hours, then he probably doesn't have Parvo... just sayin'

I don't think I've seen a case of Parvo where the pup is back home and eating solids in under 3-4 days at the barest minimum.

I've seen pups with vaccinosis present with a positive Parvo test, but rebounded within 24 hours of being put on a drip... and never looked back.

T.