Best Reccomendations How To Feed A Large Breed Dog.

Hi All,

I do not want to be flamed or crticised for my sisters poor choice but I am hoping you could help me educate her.

She has only had small breed dog and currently has a cross bred the size of a Aust cattle dog.

She recently brought a male 6 week old Bullmastiff x BullArab pup. :mad :mad

She met the mother and she was quite placid. (she was the Bullmastiff). I did ask her what the Bull Arab was and I can't remember what she said.

Now my question to folk is "" How should she be feeding this puppy to prevent health issues?"

Are there any websites I can direct her to?

I did tell her that some large breeds can be better off neutered after 6 months of age when growing has stopped, is this correct? as she does plan on having him neutered.

Should it have the bowl raised off the ground while eating?

Her other dog has no real diet, she gets food scaps, Chum,no name dry food. And is now 8yrs old and no health problems.

Sorry for all the questions but I only have small dogs and not experienced with large breeds.

Thanks

BB

We had our Bullmastiffs on Proplan Large breed adult. Feed this after 6 months old. Don't keep on feeding puppy. She needs to keep the dog a little on the lean side.

Raise the dogs food bowl (you can make a feeding table out of wood or use plastic chairs) and make sure they are just reaching for their food but without straining to get it.

Also soak the dogs biscuits in hot water and leave for a little while to cool. doesn't have to be a lot of water but just to moisten the bikkies.

Yes manner are essential in these strong breeds.

Don't soak kibble in hot water! That will basically destroy the coating on the kibble which is where all the best nutrition is. There is nothing to be gained from soaking kibble at all and if you must then use cold or tepid water.

Don't soak kibble in hot water! That will basically destroy the coating on the kibble which is where all the best nutrition is. There is nothing to be gained from soaking kibble at all and if you must then use cold or tepid water.

A weaned pup is also perfectly capable of chewing kibble. Turning it to much just encourages tartar build up.

Thanks for the tips so far.

I have been told outside it will run & play but when inside it will just sleep, sounds like a calm dog so far.

Dry food-she can not afford Pro Plan. Maybe a the large bag of Supercoat she can. So should she feed him on the puppy until 6 months of age then move him onto large breed adult?

I thought it was reccomended to raise their bowl to prevent bloat.

Please keep the advise coming.

BB

Thanks for the tips so far.

I have been told outside it will run & play but when inside it will just sleep, sounds like a calm dog so far.

Dry food-she can not afford Pro Plan. Maybe a the large bag of Supercoat she can. So should she feed him on the puppy until 6 months of age then move him onto large breed adult?

I thought it was reccomended to raise their bowl to prevent bloat.

Please keep the advise coming.

BB

I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone recommending Supercoat. She should try to spend a bit more on decent food while the pup is growing at least. She'll be able to feed less of it because its more nutritious and she could stretch it out by feeding RMBs for some meals.

Maybe suggest Black Hawk, it's better than Supercoat but not as expensive as Pro Plan and my bag has lasted ages, I would say it would cost me about the same to feed Supercoat as my dogs only eat about half as much. One bag at about $95 has lasted nearly 8 weeks feeding a basset hound and a kelpie, I would easily have bought two $49 bags of Supercoat in that time as I feed much more to get the same nutritional value. It's not Pro Plan but it's still a great food and I would use it over Supercoat any day.

Actually BH does not have the right ratios for a growing large breed pup unless you look at the fish one. And even then it's too new on the market for me to experiment with a puppy on it.

Raising bowl for bloat - depends which article you read. Some say it reduces risk and some say makes risk more. All giant breed owners I know feed it raised for comfort.

I suggest she scraps together the money to feed Proplan. She only has one chance to grow a large puppy slowly and properly and I would not screw around with that.

Also - cost of food is the smallest part of owning a big dog. How will she afford a vet visit - course of ABs for a 50kg dog is about $100 plus consult etcetera

Have been doing this for years.

Can you provide proof that it destroys the coating on the kibble. Would cold water not do the same?

I would also recommend against the supercoat. It is a false economy, as already pointed out, as you need sooo much more of it than you do better quality food for it to be a complete diet. Add to that, that in my experience it is a common denominator in many cases we see of itchy/smelly dogs and im not convinced its anywhere near as good as it allegedly used to be. Royal Canin and Eagle Pack does well for my dogs but maybe if its just too pricey, i'd go blackhawk as well.