Lawsuit Over Buying A Crossbred To Breed More Crossbreds

redangel

But... did anyone notice the bit where the judge said (as reported in the article), the woman could not keep the dog AND have a refund. She could have one or the other. The $200 was a partial refund.

What a crock of cockerpoo!

I love Hugh Wirth's assessment of Shaggy's Bichon Frise lineage resulting in 'quiet, not much joy'. I think BF breeders should work on that whole no joy thing - there is an untapped market out there for that. Grumpy old men.

Huh?? All the Bichons I have met have been delightful, fun loving little dogs.

We had a Bichon who could herd goats, certainly not quiet. He was a delightful little dog full of personality.

I love Hugh Wirth's assessment of Shaggy's Bichon Frise lineage resulting in 'quiet, not much joy'. I think BF breeders should work on that whole no joy thing - there is an untapped market out there for that. Grumpy old men.

We had a Bichon who could herd goats, certainly not quiet. He was a delightful little dog full of personality.

Obviously not purebred. What were they crossed with? :D

But... did anyone notice the bit where the judge said (as reported in the article), the woman could not keep the dog AND have a refund. She could have one or the other. The $200 was a partial refund.

Yes I did. It was interesting.

I also think the pet shop owner saying if she had of known about the Bichon she would have charged $200 was covering her arse. That way it made the purchaser look like they had got more for their dollar, thereby covering her arse when it came to potential reimbursements.

the bit about no refund if the dog was not handed back was exactly the point in the recent DEPI Viuc legislation too - refund only if animal surrendered back, a buyer was not entitled to keep an animal plus claim a refund. Could not really see her point if she still wanted the dog anyway - was she trying to claim for loss of income from bitsa puppies FFS?. She i a tool, but no real surprise to see this in the Murdoch press, of late have noticed a distinct increase in the number of anti breeder / anti pet shop / anti anything but "reputable" rescues (put that in commas, because some of the ones they have highlighted are certainly not ones I consider in any way reputable or responsible at ALL

I don't think calling the purchaser dumb is warranted. She wanted a specific crossbreed, searched for it, and when she found one advertised, went and purchased it. Not everyone wants a pedigree dog, for what ever reason.

She was right to sue on the results of the DNA test which she feels proves her dog isn't a cross of the breeds he was claimed to be. The test may or may not be accurate. I'd lean to not accurate given the results I've seen from other tests.

If only more duped purchasers of purebred, pedigree and crossbred puppies would stand up and make the breeder/seller responsible for their lies. All power to her, but the payout should have been the full cost of purchase.

sorry, in what world do you get to go and ask for a refund but say I want to keep the item too, and end up with both? If she intended to keep the dog, then no refund. If she wanted a refund because the dog was not what she wanted, then she does not get to keep it too. Judge got it spot on.

This lady wanted a cross breed to breed with. Even she could not guarantee to future puppy buyers what her litters would grow up to look like. And you can't ask for a refund AND keep the product, live animal or not.

I do agree that if duped purchasers were to complain when the puppy they purchased as a healthy, pure bred was found to be neither perhaps more pet shops and BYB's would be held accountable for their lies and inactions. But to say a cross breed is going to exhibit the features you want from both breeds as an adult is impossible.

On the other hand, if a dairy bought a calf marketed as Jersey-Holstein and she grew up to be something other than Jersey-Holstein, I think they'd demand more than a full refund. If there was deception here -- and given the unreliability of genetic tests and the unpredictability of x-breeds, it's hard to say if there was -- the breeder deserves strong censure. Fraud is fraud.

My Bichon and the one before him fit this category. They're nonstop fun!

On the other hand, if a dairy bought a calf marketed as Jersey-Holstein and she grew up to be something other than Jersey-Holstein, I think they'd demand more than a full refund. If there was deception here -- and given the unreliability of genetic tests and the unpredictability of x-breeds, it's hard to say if there was -- the breeder deserves strong censure. Fraud is fraud.

This is actually correct from a consumer perspective. If the dog is nominated as a cross of two breeds, that's what it should be and if a cross of several breeds, the dog should have been nominated as those breeds or just "a dog".