Licking The Floor:

Loving my Oldies

Danny (14 years old Finnish Spitz Cross) is wandering all over the house licking the floor: wooden, tiles, mats.

I thought he might be having some kind of fit, so I picked him up and held him for a while. He is licking his lips a bit, not from side to side, but just poking his tongue out a bit and then a little bit of gurgle in his throat and his teeth chatter.

I was able to make him stop, but only by saying his name every time he started again. Just now he had a drink of water, trailed all through the house licking the floor, went downstairs, licked on the pathway and then started to try to eat a fern. Because I don't know whether ferns are harmful or not, I picked him up and brought him upstairs. He's just standing beside my chair :(:(

One of our little chi crosses used to lick and chew at blankets, sheets etc, it was a nervous thing, and was harmless, her brother used to scan the floor and pick up anything big enough to snaffle. Im not sure about Danny though, how is he now?

Edited by Aussie3

Sounds like a big worry, DD. How about some natural sedative, or discuss some sedation with your vet? Other alternative could be something to chew (pigs ear, big bone, large dried treats) to perhaps help break the floor licking.

Which means, I have NFI, but that is probably what I would do in your situation. Good luck.

Thank you all for your responses. If it continues, I will be taking him to the vet, but judging from a short time after I posted until now (we are all just in bed), I am thinking along with your assessment, Hockz. He has settled down, shortly after I posted, he snuggled into the quilt under my desk and hasn't done any licking since.

I was a bit scared for a while and will be watching him like a hawk tomorrow.

It can be a sign of pain in the teeth/mouth...or just old age behaviour, or something neurological.

My old boy (14yo) started (gradually) licking everything in sight about 6 months ago...floors, the couch, our feet, his bed etc etc...his breath was rank, when i looked in his mouth his bottom canines were pushing into the top gums and his teeth were awful. Long story short, the vet cleaned his teeth and a couple of rotten ones were extracted, pain killers, antibiotics etc etc.

His licking behaviour reduced by half, but it's back again for floor licking, I think it's just a comfort/obsessive/old age thing. He's a bit wonky on his legs now, quite deaf, and sometimes just wanders around like he's forgotten where he is, he likes to be where his people are all the time.

I'd take him to the vets DD, get him checked out in case it's something more sinister.

My girl used to poke her tongue in and out and swallow . She would then rush outside and eat grass. This often happened when she had been sound asleep.

Took her to the vet and she had reflux.

Started on Losec which is a human medication and was much more comfortable :)

Sounds like he may be exhibiting signs of dementia. I have had a few dogs with dementia, and all started out with different symptoms. The obsessive part was one of them. They seem to go through different stages as the dementia progresses. My worst one used to tear at the bed clothes etc. then started self mutilating. I would see the vet anyway and get him thoroughly checked out, but only you can monitor his behaviour and see any changes if it does progress to dementia.

My girl used to poke her tongue in and out and swallow . She would then rush outside and eat grass. This often happened when she had been sound asleep.

I think this has just started happening to my girl and I'm off to the vet this week, she's a 13 yr old Jack Russell who's been in great health but over Christmas started doing what you describe and bringing up small amounts of food and sometimes large piles of grass.

I'd been given some different treats for Christmas and stopped giving them to her in case that had been the cause. She's fine some days but not others so off to the vet we go ...

I've often wondered why all the licking - I've got a couple of oldies that do this to my sofa - making it quite damp - and thought it might be a bit of dementia possibly as they are in good health otherwise and have had recent dentals.

Edited by dogmad

Mac is 14.5, has dementia and goes through periods of licking everything obsessively - he's particularly fond of door frames but will lick mattresses, dog beds, my legs, chair legs and fabric covered chairs as well. I've had no success whatsoever at stopping him so now I just gently distract him when I see it so I don't reinforce it. The vet says its part of his dementia and says there's not a lot I can do about it and it's pretty harmless.

Edited by westiemum

Have to agree with this & Hockz, I think he has reflux. One of my dogs gets it when fed oily or fatty foods, for instance he can't tolerate lamb. OH also suffers from reflux & frequently feels nausea upon waking but has experienced unwanted side effects from drugs like losec & omeprazole. By trial & error he has found watermelon to be a saviour which we now give to Ringer whenever he rushes around trying to eat grass or exhibits any symptoms such as gulping. It seems to do the trick, though I am not sure exactly what is in watermelon that eases the feeling of nausea & negates the acid.

I think this has just started happening to my girl and I'm off to the vet this week, she's a 13 yr old Jack Russell who's been in great health but over Christmas started doing what you describe and bringing up small amounts of food and sometimes large piles of grass.

I'd been given some different treats for Christmas and stopped giving them to her in case that had been the cause. She's fine some days but not others so off to the vet we go ...

I've often wondered why all the licking - I've got a couple of oldies that do this to my sofa - making it quite damp - and thought it might be a bit of dementia possibly as they are in good health otherwise and have had recent dentals.

Yes, it wouldn't happen every day but I could never pin it down to any particular food, so we went with the medication and it certainly helped.

Have to agree with this & Hockz, I think he has reflux. One of my dogs gets it when fed oily or fatty foods, for instance he can't tolerate lamb. OH also suffers from reflux & frequently feels nausea upon waking but has experienced unwanted side effects from drugs like losec & omeprazole. By trial & error he has found watermelon to be a saviour which we now give to Ringer whenever he rushes around trying to eat grass or exhibits any symptoms such as gulping. It seems to do the trick, though I am not sure exactly what is in watermelon that eases the feeling of nausea & negates the acid.

Buttermilk is also a good for a quick relief.

I think reflux might be the problem. When I went downstairs earlier today, I noticed a big grass and other greenery throw up where he'd been licking.

Unfortunately, I think he's given it to me :D . A long time ago I was diagnosed with chronic reflux oesophagitis after every test known to man for heart problems, a doctor sent me for an endoscopy . I was on losec for some years and it eventually "went away". I think it has come back with a vengeance.

Anyway, if he experienced anything like I am at the moment, a trip to the vet will be a priority.

He has had a dental recently and while I don't think he is suffering from dementia, he is exhibiting some effects of old age and increasing stubbornness.

So glad you might have a solution. While it sounds hilarious to read about all these rampant lickers of course you don't want them in pain and if it is treatable then the prognosis seems good.

Our rampant licker was like that all her life and poor mum used to cop the worst of it. She would practically pin her down and lick every bit of skin she could find. Mum started wearing eucalyptus oil on her knees when she visited and the licker didn't like the smell of it and left her alone. I used to think she was one of those dogs who just loved to groom everyone (the cat loved having her ear insides licked clean!) but maybe it was hiding another problem we were ignorant about? She rarely vomited but would walk around dry heaving in a very dramatic fashion. Since she was always like that we would of course be concerned for her and check to see if she needed help but we thought it was because she was like me and hated to actually vomit (and also hit with the drama queen stick). She did go on to develop chronic pancreatitis as well but still lived a very long life. It's funny to look back and see how this all may have been linked. I don't know if untreated reflux could lead to pancreatitis but it's all part of the digestive process I guess? She was under close vet supervision for her pancreatitis but I don't think we ever felt the licking and heaving needed medical treatment so probably never raised it.

Today I have learnt that a dog can get heartburn and reflux!

Edited by Little Gifts