Dyez / Pet Dyes

Dammit! Meant to be dyex in the title. I must read my titles.

Okay, so the plan is I'm putting together a Canine team to colour for World's Greatest shave :) Dyex looks like the way to go as far as brands of pet dyes go, but has anybody had experiences that they'd like to share, or recommend something different?

Yes, I'll put up photos after we're done :)

Edit: Oh, how far will a 50Ml tube stretch? I'm going to do mainly patterns and designs, I'm not dying the whole of Maya :p So I'm getting three colours for her... is that going to be enough to decorate a smallish Anatolian? :p

Edited by Chris the Rebel Wolf

I have only had experience using dyex on fluffy coats like poodle and Maltese. It is very a permanent long lasting product on these coat types. I wonder if it would take as well on a shorter stronger coat type. For spots I use a small applicator brush and cut half of the bristles off. Dip the brush in the dye and then screw/twist it around in one spot. For those leopard spots use a celery stick to get the crescent shapes. It's fun stuff to play around with. Wear gloves. Apply it to s freshly clean dry dog. Wait for required time, I always wait at least twenty minutes. Make sure you keep the dog on a table and still, lots of tickles and kisses. Bath again and dry again. Yes its a big job! Dyex does not transfer to furnishings, clothes etc in my experience, if applied properly. It does however stain anything that it comes into contact with when wet.

Have fun.

Eta... It goes a fair way. What you get should be plenty to have a bit of fun. I want to see a Pandatolian

Edited by skyefool

There are temporary colours available that you simply apply and then dry off with a the hair dryer, Critter Colour is one brand. Dyex is great but long lasting, as is Pet Esthe and Opawz . Both excellent for colouring but have to be processed then rinsed. Chalks and pastes are good for temporary designs, Opawz make a temp paste as well. They are applied then dried off not rinsed.

• 2 weeks later...

Eta... It goes a fair way. What you get should be plenty to have a bit of fun. I want to see a Pandatolian

Tempting Pandatolian... I do have some stencils for maple leaves and snowflakes, and I am considering writing World's Greatest Shave' in colour, even though she isn't shaving of course, but then when we go out in public, people might realize what it was for :p

I got three of the little dyex tubes, will talk to the groomer who's lined up to do it and see if she thinks it's enough :)