Jack The Boofer

Mooper

Today we've done the kindest but hardest thing: Jack is gone. No longer in pain. My 3yo says he was old and sick so he's gone to be with her great-Grandma. My 1yo is likely to keep saying 'where dack?' for some time. I'm contemplating buying shares in Kleenex.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and best wishes over the years as he recovered from a mast-cell tumour, dog attack and managed Addison's disease. DOLers were a great comfort during all the times he cheated death.

Around Christmas time, he began to limp badly and was soon diagnosed with osteosarcoma in his shoulder. There is no coming back from bone cancer. A day or two ago, it was clear the pain meds were no longer cutting it, and Jack's tail mostly stayed between his legs. It was time to make the tough decision.

Jack was a good dog right to the end, wagging his tail this morning as we had final cuddles, and getting all excited to see his lead and go for one last car ride. For the first time in living memory, he didn't bark in the car, but he did try to bark at a crated dog at the vet's. He went peacefully in our arms.

Rest in peace, Jack-o. One week shy of your 14th birthday. We'll think of you often as we continue to find your fur in our house, car, clothes and food for the next 10 years or so. xx

post-2583-0-42869500-1390963385_thumb.jpg

Thanks, folks. I joined DOL because of Jack, and have met so many wonderful people and their dogs (even a few nice cats!) thanks to Jack. He was one in a million. Any other dog would have been smart enough to give up the habit of barking every time we started and ended a car journey. But not our Jack :heart: Silly boofer.