Stacking Tips For New Players With Learning Dogs

kelpiecuddles

As many of you would know my son is getting a start in showing this year. He's getting some lessons from a lovely local lady who is helping him out and she has also offered to let him handle his dog, yet to see how that turns out as her dog is very focused on her and mucked around when Alex tried handling him because he wanted to get back to her, might be less problematic in the ring if he can't see her so we'll see how it pans out. His other option is our basset Josie, I had thought originally he wouldn't be able to use her because she's only pet quality but I've since realised(thanks HW!) that it doesn't matter so much whether she's show material as they will only be judging his technique in junior handler. So it looks like Josie ticks the boxes, she's neutered but is main registered as I recall so all that remains is to move her in to my name for show purposes once our DogsNSW membership goes through. Then there is the issue of teaching HER what she needs to do. So I was wondering whether anyone has any tips for new young people(and older dogs!) just learning the ropes of stacking?

We've already worked out one major hurdle which is that she doesn't like her rear end being touched and arches her back if you try to move her back feet for stacking purposes BUT I worked out today that if you leave her back feet in place you can move her front feet forward and then pull her body forwards a little to get her over her front legs properly and she stacks great! (Don't know if I explained that well but it works LOL). It also has the bonus of being easier for the young fella with his shorter arms as she's obviously very long in the body so stacking her from the front makes it easier for him to keep her still while he adjusts her. We are working on her allowing her tail to be held and so far she's doing great with that and allows me to pose her nicely with her tail in the right position(previously if I touched her tail she would put it between her legs) and we are working on touching her all over to ensure she won't do the crouch thing when touched in the ring(would I be correct in assuming the judge will still go over the dog as if to judge it for the purposes of junior handler?).

We've planned to go to a number of shows in the coming months, the first couple will mostly be to watch and learn and then it'll be on.

Final question! For the purposes of ensuring Josie is relaxed in the ring when he starts showing are we allowed to take her to shows with us as a member of the public? I'd like to get her used to the environment and get him to work with her off to the side(obviously not where it will cause hassles for others though), so that she gets used to it and settles, I'd like to see how she handles it before I throw him in the deep end with her. (Obviously we fully intend to be sensitive to other peoples dogs, etc, we'll probably go to shows where someone we know is exhibiting and sit with them when we aren't working with her)

Edited by kelpiecuddles

Make sure you check the rules in your state - I thought junior handlers were only allowed to take a dog in that is entered in that show. Hard to enforce I guess though.

Edited to clarify what I'm trying to say: as in the dog needs to be entered and exhibited in the regular part of the show, not just going in for junior handlers.

Edited by rebelsquest

In the NSW junior handlers manual it says

Dogs used for Junior Handler competitions must be ANKC main registered and in some States must be entered in the show.

As far as I know it's not an issue in NSW but may be harder if we are interstate and hoping to show we would need to check the rules for where we are going.

Junior Handler dogs don't have to be registered in the family's name to be used in JH competitions KC.

The name of the dog used isn't even recorded. If you want to put the issue about being entered in the show beyond doubt, ring Dogs NSW and ask. Or ask on the Dog Show Gossip group for whatever state you're looking at being in. ACT doesn't have that rule by the way and it looks like Victoria doesn't either.

Provided Josie is kept crated I can't see her being at shows being an issue. Most states have a rule that dogs not entered shouldn't be on the grounds but I've yet to see it enforced.

I have one piece of advice though. The best practice your son can have for handling IS handling. In the ring, in the JH competitions. Provided he's got the basics of what is expected,, I'd be putting him in the ring. Most JH judges are very happy to give tips and frankly most local JH's competitions aren't fangs to the waist events. I don't see how practicing off to the side is necessary before he takes the plunge provided he can control his dog. Frankly, it sounds to me like Josie will be a better bet for him than a dog that wants to be anywhere but with him. He can't improve if he can't get the dogs' focus and I expect he'd find it very frustrating.

Hit U-Tube for stacking tips - heaps of videos about that. My advice is that YOU teach the dog and your son follow on once she has the basics. There's a reason that juniors aren't permitted to show dogs under 12 months of age and part of that is that for the newbs, they show a dog that is trained in the basics of ring exhibition.

Have you downloaded the ANKC Junior Handler regs and manual yet?

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Sorry no advice, but just had to post this picky cause... just cause it seemed appropriate and is prolly my favourite ever photo... I laugh so hard every time I look at this, it just never gets old for me, just so damned cute!!! :D

post-27202-0-47934700-1391144914_thumb.jpg

Edited by Starkehre

Bahaha, that's awesome! The teeth will I think be our biggest challenge, she's getting better about it but it's hard when she's 5 years old and not used to it. I'm sitting on the couch in the evening groping around in her mouth to try to get her over her aversion LOL

Glad you appreciated the photo too. I love the way both the boy and his dog are looking at the judge waiting for the nod of approval :rofl:

I do all my mouthing practice on the couch also, especially at dinner time when they'll do anything for some of my dinner :D You'll get there. Just take your time and baby steps. I am sure you are doing an awesome job :)

Just a thought, others please add your input. I can picture in my head (from your description) the way you're stacking Josie by moving her front feet and sort of pulling her forward into the right position. If the JH judges are judging correct handling, would this go against your son as it's not a "traditional" method? Or does it not matter as long as he gets the desired result in the end? Just speculating, I don't know enough about JHs to be sure :)

No idea about showing here but a tip for handling their mouth. Nitro was very resistant to me handling his mouth when I got him, so I used food to help. Touch his mouth, give him a treat, lift his lips up so I can see his teeth, give him a treat, work up to open mouth, give a treat, and for pilling, open mouth, put treat in mouth (like a pill). He is starting to get to the point where he presents his head into my hand lol.

Edited by Kavik

Judges will be forgiving within reason PROVIDING they can see a reason for doing it differently .if it doesn't work that way yes he will be penalized .

Also keep in mind some may ask the the dog to stand on the table .

With mouthing he will need to practice having the lead coiled in his hand & showing the mouth to the judges vision ,

Also don't forget to work on T,reverse triangles as many dogs don't like walking on the wrong side .

If the dog isn't ready to do the exercises for him in the ring i would tread carefully

She'll walk on either side so no issue there but we are practising all the different ones so he can remember them when he's asked.

I think it's only really the mouth that will be the major issue so I'm going to keep working on that until we either get her sorted or we come up with another dog option. Table is good, as long as their is a ramp she'll stand on the table(easier actually, she's less likely to crouch)