Titre Testing

BlackJaq

Hi guys!

So when we went in for the last lot of vaccinations about a month or so ago, I decided to get a titre test done for my Weimaraner bitch. Shortly thereafter I was heading to agility camp in Sydney so I chose to vaccinate anyway since results would not be back until well after we returned (they had to send the test overseas? I really don't think my vet has ever done a titre test before, she spent quite some time checking to see if there was a distemper test at all and if so where to get it done).

So I basically had blood taken first and then did a C3 and so far my dog has had all her vaccinations as per the recommended schedule (as per my vet), that is all three puppy vaccinations and then annual boosters after that. She is 3 now.

Anyway, I guess my vet didn't seem particularly intimate on the why's and wherefores of titre testing but we are very rural and I guess they are just happy if people vaccinate their pets at all.

So today I was reading an older Dogs NSW magazine (in the bathroom no less) and there was a letter to the editor regarding parvo and titre testing, which reminded me that I paid out my nose to get these tests done several weeks ago now (it was in Nov I think) and that I had received no results and no follow up. I then called my clinic and to start with didn't get anything useful out of the young receptionist, except that the vet who'd done the tests wasn't there and there was no record of the tests and that I should call back later (which I happily did, hoping that somebody with more of a clue of what's going on would be there) so the second time I think a vet nurse answered (pretty sure it wasn't one of the vets but they have a fair few and sometimes get in new ones.. ) who seemed to have no idea about titre testing either (had to clarify twice what kind of test results I was looking for) and who then proceeded to tell me that my dog had no immunity and was at danger of infection. Apparently that is what it said on the results. No idea if that was a note made by the vet or by the actual testing facility.. She was hopeless for elaborating on any details and basically she got a bit snippish and said "Sorry I don't understand why we are testing this??"

So in response all I said was "Because I want to know my dog's immune levels and I need written results if I am to not vaccinate but prove immunity at various dog clubs etc". She seemed speechless at this concept, not sure which part of it.. I asked to have the results sent to me to which she answered that she would "consult with the vet who did the tests" and check if they were ok to go out like that?

So I am now confused as hell, still have no real idea what the tests said and I feel a bit dubious about my vet's ability to decide what is best for my pets when they are so ignorant (for want of a better word) on the issue? Should vets not be informed at least about the concerns regarding over vaccination? Obviously they will have an opinion, but should it not be backed by fact and knowledge? Or am I being totally wierd about even considering a titre test before vaccinating?

I would really appreciate some DOL opinions on this, titre testing in particular and also on vet attitude towards it? This is my first time to titre test so obviously I have no previous experiences to compare to :/

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I broached the topic of titre testing with one of the local vets all I got was blank looks and techno-babble.

They have switched to the 3 year protocol for C3 vaccinations, so I have another year before I have to worry about it with Max and 18 months for Remy.

I'd ask for the actual piece of paper with the results from the lab. A yes/no result is what you want, but the official results will at least show if they sent it away to be tested, and if so to somewhere that knows what they are doing.

I was quite surprised when it was my vet that brought up titre testing as something to consider in the future for my boy with allergy/ immune system issues. (my boy is on the 3 yearly regime, so don't have to consider it until 2015).

Well I'm jealous of you guys to say the least.. The vet nurse ended up ringing me back and by the sounds of it she must have spoken with one of the vets who knew what they were doing as she gave me a speech that sounded like she'd memorized it lol

It went along the lines of how she is not good at reading lab results and to discard her previous statement and she is sorry to have caused me any confusion.....

I am now assuming that there is no actual note on the results, that was simply her conclusion? Who knows...

Apparently they will try to get the vet who did the tests to give me a call back tomorrow to discuss the results and she is going to send me a copy of the tests. By the sounds of it she really got an ass whooping off someone...

So hopefully I will get the written results some time next week and will actually be able to see what is going on. I was seriously concerned when she said that Foxy is not protected since she'd had all her shots so far and I thought there was a serious issue with her immune system for her to have no levels at all.. Anyway.... Feeling a bit frustrated at the whole thing still and it really shook my trust in the clinic staff's overall knowledge level and commitment (to further their own education on a regular basis)

Edited by BlackJaq

I use a holistic vet in Canberra to do my titres rather than my normal vet. Mainly because it is easier as she does them all the time. I have a good working relationship with my own vet though and really the issue has not come up.

When doing titres, you only really need to do parvo and distemper. Dr Ronald Schultz ( foremost researcher on vaccines) suggests only doing these two. These two can be done in Australia. They only need to be sent overseas if testing all three (AVA advises the turnaround for sending titres overseas to be 10 to 14 days and that a large number of labs in the eastern states accept samples for testing).

This series of videos of an interview with Dr Schultz is well worth watching (link is to the first of 4 videos). He discusses titres in them:

Lou x, it is recommended by the Australian Veterinary Association and the World Small Animal Veterinary Association as well as the Australian Government's Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authoritythat vaccinations for 'core' vaccines generally follow a three year protocol i.e. vaccines given every three years (after the initial puppy vaccinations and first 'booster' a year later) rather than every year. The protocols also discuss and support titre testing.

While my regular vet would administer the test for me and is happy enough to do so, her understanding of them is not actually that great. I came down from Sydney with a pretty good knowledge of titre testing through attending seminars with Dr Jean Dodds from the US etc, and realised quickly that the knowledge base down here is severely lacking. My vet has referred to it as "a snapshot of a dog at a particular time" which isn't exactly true. Levels don't suddenly fluctuate overnight and high levels certainly do not require retesting yearly as she recommends. It was also pretty expensive to use her as she doesn't have a vetpath account (would have been about $200 per dog).

So instead, I went with the holistic vet in Canberra. She is incredibly knowledgeable about titre testing, its only $60 per dog, and the results are back within about 3 days. My regular vet was perfectly accepting of them being tested and when she asks each year for their status I just tell her they are still high. I will likely get them retested every 3 years, just to be sure given how much they are exposed to, however they theoretically are covered for life.

I might look into doing all our dogs in Canberra next year then.. Can somebody PM me details for her please?

I am hoping that I will be able to get the results in writing and get some advice on the meaning on here as I don't have much faith in my clinic knowing much about it... :(

It's very easy to deal with vet path, they are very accommodating and offer free courier service (this is in nsw) and one off payments. I've dealt with them for a few clients and my own dogs and have been very impressed.

Being a newer test in Australia, some vets aren't familiar or comfortable with Titre testing. I'd encourage owners to urge their vet to get in contact with vet path in WA as I have found them very helpful and reasonably priced.

My vet looked at me like I was a moron when I told her I was doing the 3 yearly vaccinations and would titre test if needed, then proceeded to basically imply I was killing my dogs by not vaccinating them every year. Needless to say we don't talk about vaccination any more with her!

My vet understands/approves and has no problem with titre testing.

eta

My Pug isn't due for his next vaccination until September this year, and I will be titre testing then. I have told my vet about VetPath in WA and she will probably use them.

Edited by puggedforlife

Hmm

I got Frosty vaccinated a week or so ago - the bill says C3 and canine cough - which makes me think something is missing from a C5. And I only remember her getting one shot.

And it really peeves me that a vaccination certificate is not standard issue. Because I always forget to ask for it. And I always need it.

My vet knows about titre testing - but last time I asked - I think getting it done was about $90 per test, so two tests plus the vax for canine cough and whatever ... then coming back more than once to get separate vaccinations as required and vax consult pushing $70 a visit...

and to me - without checking properly it looked like C5 much cheaper than titre testing + vaccinations as required.

So how much does a titre test cost - how many do you need to do each year? and what vax should you be getting every year anyway?

So confusing.

It was about a year ago when I discussed titre testing with the vet. He was still of the opinion that dogs needed to be vaccinated annually. When I mentioned vaccinosis and that I would prefer to titre test instead of vaccinating he told me I was 'uneducated' about the need for vaccinations.

Righto! He also said it would cost around $275-300 to titre test each of my dogs. He said it would include the cost of a consult, the cost of drawing blood and the cost of sending the bloods away. Then of course the cost of another consult when the titre results were in. When I refused the vaccination is when he said "I'm sorry Anne but you are 'uneducated'. He looked at me blankly when I mentioned Dr. Jean Dodds.

The whole conversation left me in no doubt about just who was 'uneducated'. I left it at that and didn't re-vaccinate the dogs. One of my dogs was 8 1/2yo and the other was 7yo. Both were previously vaccinated.

I've not raised the issue since that discussion.

Also haven't had much luck with either a titre test or using the 3 year vaccination. 3 different vets have all suggested to just do the annual vaccination. They have all known what the titre test was though but seemed to think it was too expensive and too much hassle.