Titre Testing

BlackJaq

Just checking my records to see how much it cost me....

Ok about a year ago I paid $59.65 for a Titre through Vetpath for Parvo and Distemper.

This was the fee for the test 'without consultation' through Kate Millhouse in Canberra.

For this price she drew the blood, sent it to Vetpath, then sent me the report from Vetpath. Simples.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, I got ripped off big time, I paid $240 for our pups recent Titre test the had to chase the results myself. I still don't have the complete results though but she said she would ring so I guess there won't be a consult fee to get his results when they are back.

And to answer the original question, they did the test but would have preferred to just vaccinate him....I think they thought I was a little nutty :D

It makes me wonder how abreast of progressive information and learning some Vets keep themselves. I wouldn't be able to feel confident of a Vet who by now is not aware of nor familiar with how to arrange for a titre test to be conducted.

It makes me wonder how abreast of progressive information and learning some Vets keep themselves. I wouldn't be able to feel confident of a Vet who by now is not aware of nor familiar with how to arrange for a titre test to be conducted.

Yes, I feel the same. If they don't keep up to date with basic things like this, who knows if they're really competent?

Quite so Erny. Going by these posts it seems the vets in Vic are not too familiar with the concept of titre testing.

Its daft as the Australian Veterinary Association now recommends not over vaccinating...

http://www.ava.com.au/node/1049

Mostly as best I can tell - since their "position statement" links are all broken...

They recommend getting

a three year cover vaccine for distemper and parvo.

and annually for the rest

http://www.ava.com.au/node/1049

and its not really clear if they recommend titre testing at all.

I reckon I could do that. Except - I can't find which vaccinations are for what where eg

Triennal (every three years) is for distemper and Parvo

what's in the C3?

canine cough and? - except on my bill C3 and canine cough are itemised separately.

Hmm might need to email my vet.

Hmmm... I just had to C5 two of my dogs because I need to board them while I recuperate from gallbladder surgery. Fair cop for the younger dog, as she was due for her first annual booster (which I would have preferred to be a C3).

My dogs get their puppy vacc schedule, then their first annual C3 booster, then nothing more. Zeddy is the exception because she had a C3 done after being exposed to a pup that died of Parvo, and she had eaten the poop - she suffered no side effects from eating the Parvo infested poop, but could easily have been carrying the disease to share with others - so the C3 was a precaution with regards to spreading the disease only - there was also 6 weeks quarantine before she was allowed to leave my property after having the vaccination. Zeddy was 4 at the time, and is now 14. No vaccinations since, and has been in contact with lots of rescue foster pups over the years - including a litter last June that all ended up having Parvo... grrr!

I think a lot of vets liked the annual schedule because they got to do a general health check on the animal at the same time. Some vets are taking up the 3 year schedule slowly due to this...

The vet clinics that I go to, the vets will only ask me once about vaccinations - and after they have it explained to them WHY I don't regularly vaccinate, seem to understand and leave it at that. I think it's how you approach the issue and explain it to them... any vet that treats me like I'm some sort of idiot/criminal for not wanting to follow THEIR schedule, just don't get my business. My dogs don't see vets all that regularly anyways, as they are pretty darned healthy buggers for some reason... lol!

T.

what's in the C3?

canine cough and? - except on my bill C3 and canine cough are itemised separately.

Hmm might need to email my vet.

C3 is parvo, distemper and hepatitis. C4 has one strain of KC added, C5 has two strains of KC. The nasal spray has the 2 strains of KC in it.

Personally, I occasionally buy online, a one dose parvo shot and do my dogs myself.

what's in the C3?

C3 = The 3 core diseases. IE Distemper, Parvovirus and Hepatitis.

C4 = The same as C3 PLUS one strain of Canine Cough

C5 = The same as C3 PLUS two strains OF Canine Cough

I had one boarding kennel refuse to take my dogs' recent C5 vaccination as good enough... they insisted that I had to get the nasal component or they wouldn't board my dogs. I don't see the point in doubling up the SAME vaccine, so I've arranged to board somewhere that was happy to accept the C5 vaccination... and they were cheaper too... lol!

All of my dogs have had a decent case of Kennel Cough at some point, and have had literally hundreds of exposures to same over the years I've been fostering puppies for rescue. Kennel cough really doesn't bother me at all, and even with the vaccine, there is no 100% guarantee they won't catch another strain anyways...

T.

I got a card from my vet this week saying Max is due for her KC vaccination and I was a little surprised. Do people routinely annually vaccinate against KC?

I have to take her in tomorrow for an eye issue so I hope they don't bug me about it, as I had no intentions of doing it, especially as last time she got kennel cough a few weeks after she was vaccinated against it.

KC vaccine is sort of like the human flu shots - only give protection against the strains they are vaccinated for... doesn't stop them getting one of the myriad other strains out there... *sigh*

There may be anecdotal evidence out there that the KC vaccs may minimise the reaction to getting one of the other strains... but no absolute proof one way or the other.

T.

The first time I asked about titre testing the quote was $200, recently a client got hers done for $70 each.

My dogs have their puppy shots then a first yearly booster, the older dogs had a triennial, now they will be titred.

I have a boarding kennel and accept titre tests but don't advertise it as those that know about it and have had it done ask. I have one person who was venemently against vaccine for kennel cough. She was educated and we had an interesting discussion I would have boarded her dogs.

The only case of Canine Cough I know about from my kennels was in a vaccinated dog, his sister who was in the same run didn't get it and I had no reports of any other dogs that were staying at that time that had it.

I have had some bark themselves hourse though.

Personally, I occasionally buy online, a one dose parvo shot and do my dogs myself.

Rebanne where do you buy your parvo shot from? I'm quite comfortable giving injections and this is the only one I really would like to do a bit more often as we don't put dogs in kennels, etc

Rebanne where do you buy your parvo shot from? I'm quite comfortable giving injections and this is the only one I really would like to do a bit more often as we don't put dogs in kennels, etc

Google is your friend. I prefer not to recommend any one place for this.