Dog Owner Is Refusing To Have Her Pet Put Down – Even After It Savaged

Steph M

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The dog might have a health problem, but yeah some people are nut bags and want to pretend dogs are mini humans

I don't think refusing to kill a dog is treating it like a mini human. That's just showing respect for life. I wouldn't get my dog killed if it bit me once. I would get it vet checked and get the help of a good trainer to identify the cause.

However, this woman does need serious help. She is trying to justify this dog's behaviour in human terms without making any effort to train or get this dog checked for underlying heath issues. This can only end in disaster.

She's solved the problem by putting Boris behind a gate when she "has" to tell Wallis off?

So Wallis does something he shouldn't, she goes and gets Boris, puts him behind a gate then goes back and tells Wallis off, when he's probably long forgotten whatever it was he did :( In the meantime, Boris is behind the gate getting increasingly frustrated because he's "overprotective" but can't get to what he wants to "protect", so if he manages to get through the gate the attack will be even worse!! :mad

She's def a nut case and just can't see how she is doing so badly by her dogs. Poor dogs.

I don't think refusing to kill a dog is treating it like a mini human. That's just showing respect for life. I wouldn't get my dog killed if it bit me once. I would get it vet checked and get the help of a good trainer to identify the cause.

However, this woman does need serious help. She is trying to justify this dog's behaviour in human terms without making any effort to train or get this dog checked for underlying heath issues. This can only end in disaster.

I agree with all this. I feel sorry for the dogs, not her because she has a choice, but they don't.

Edited by Danny's Darling

Sadly. Next time might just be the last time for her, can you imagine the rage that dog is going to be building up inside when he is behind the gate and can hear her telling the other dog off? Open the gate lady and I will kill you :cry:

He's never 'gone for anyone else' until he has, and what happens if that someone else is injured much worse :mad

I know it's her dog but I'm actually surprised that they aren't able to place a dangerous dog order on him, at the very least requiring that outside the house he must wear a muzzle.

I'd want someone like my friend Dan (who is a very competent dog behaviourist who spends most of her time analysing the human's behaviour and dealing with it) to assess this dog owner and her dog.

Maybe then we'd know what this situation actually entails.

Meanwhile, I treat anything I read in the popular press with a healthy dose of cynicism (cynicism the word, as a complete aside comes from the ancient Greek word 'cynos', which means the followers of Diogenes; Diogenes beleived that dogs were nobler and purer than humans). Hey, I don't have a problem with that.

Seriously, dogs that majorly damage their humans or any other humans need to be controlled and prevented from doing this. Is this a problem with the dog, or this this a problem with the human, or is this a bit of both? My gut tells me it is probably a bit of both, but I am just guessing. Possibly one or the other or both need the green dream (whoops! I am not allowed to say that in Orstraya!).

Cheers,

ricey

I suspect that the reporter and/or sub-editors have left out important comments, but I do agree that (judging by what is written in the article) this woman is not capable of managing a multi-dog home safely. She is within her rights to not end her dog's life, but basically she is not dealing with the real problem. Sad all around.

What about Wallis? Poor puppy hasn't got much chance either if the dopey owner hasn't learnt from Boris!

i can understand not putting Boris down and maybe he never leaves the house so can't hurt others. I don't think I'd be visiting though!

He's never 'gone for anyone else' until he has, and what happens if that someone else is injured much worse :mad

I know it's her dog but I'm actually surprised that they aren't able to place a dangerous dog order on him, at the very least requiring that outside the house he must wear a muzzle.

In the UK they cannot action or prosecute any attack that happens on private property. Unless the dog is a 'pit bull type', then they can seize the dog (regardless of whether it's attacked or not).

Agree that the woman is a nutter. It's one thing to not want to euthanase your dog, but to not seek help for the behaviour? Madness.

Edited by melzawelza

I could not contemplate living that way, I just cant. Kids or no kids. Yes it is a difficult decision to pts, esspecially without expert advice on the behaviour and then the behaviourists recomendations (which may include pts), though to ignore and dismiss both, do nothing and continue is pure insanity IMO.

She may not have kids now, may never have kids, though what about the community at large? let alone 1000 other things that could eventuate which is well out of their control, they have no control!

Having some nice pics taken with the dog that attacked you and a story in the paper does not prove that your dog (or any dog) after attacking you is just fine.

I own a large breed, strong dog. She is outstanding in temp, nature, socialbilty and training though I also respect the fact that she is a combo of three breeds, each with specific traits. Every one of those specific breed traits shine through her which I adore about her though it means I have to be extra cautious as her owner.

If Fern did to me what this dog has done to his owner, I would give her her wings in my arms and never forget her as long as I live. I just couldnt live that way, and I would not want her to feel the need to live that way either. I adore Fern.

Sorry for the long post :o I think at the end of the day this dog is being humanised. Humans and dogs have bad days though this is absurd, dogs dont think like people. When you transfer your own wants and needs to dogs rather than looking at the dog as dog and individual in various needs/requirements, owner and dog are bound to fail.

Very sad as the bites/attacks have escalated quickly and with worse damage. God only knows what will happen next :mad

ETA snap Melzawelza, you said it in one sentance. It took me all this :laugh:

Edited by Nic.B

Her inability to see sense will see someone else badly injured if not killed. That's if it doesn't happen to her first!!

The dogs life would not be at all enjoyable. He would be in a high level of stress all the time. The other dog, well, that would be no picnic either. The instability in that house would mean everyone was stressed and on high alert all if the time.

If she chooses to be an idiot, fine, but the dog should not be allowed near anyone else unless muzzled

Some people....head in sand syndrome, pretend the problem doesn't exist. Me, I couldn't keep a (large) dog that had attacked me 3 times, id consider it if I owned a Chi or something similar, but Id certainly be getting in a professional.

Hope they get the dog checked out by a vet and a behaviourist.

Edited by **Caz**

Her inability to see sense will see someone else badly injured if not killed. That's if it doesn't happen to her first!!

The dogs life would not be at all enjoyable. He would be in a high level of stress all the time. The other dog, well, that would be no picnic either. The instability in that house would mean everyone was stressed and on high alert all if the time.

If she chooses to be an idiot, fine, but the dog should not be allowed near anyone else unless muzzled

I agree OSO.

If one of my two dogs attacked me when I corrected the third and the outcome from either was attacking me, forget it.

You are 100% right, there is so much instability and stress in the household. Even worse she does nothing about it. I feel for both dogs, the owner is an idiot.