Early Morning Tranquility Shattered

Kirislin

After walking the dogs early yesterday and enjoying it so much I decided to do the same again today. We were up at the park by about 6.20am.

I'd just let them all out of the car, no one else around so I didn't leash them. Everyone happy and excited, I had my camera with me and was looking at the lake, thinking how beautiful it looked with the mist rising off it when my little blue girl Feather went to jump back up onto the raised wooden walkway, but misjudged and hit it with her chest. She somersaulted over and landed in a screaming heap on the boards.

She couldn't move and was clearly in agony. I picked her up and tried to get her to stand, but her legs just buckled. I got her back to the car, laying her on the front passenger seat. I never put them on there and normally she would have sat or stood up, but she just continued to lay there with bulging eyes.

I am so lucky our local vet will see people after hours so by 7am she was in the vets. He gave her painkillers and kept her for about an hour, told me to go walk the rest of the dogs, which I have done.

I've got her back home now in a crate. She's pretty spaced out. He doesn't think she's broken anything, there's a chance she's injured her spine but it's a bit of wait and see. I can see she's got a whopping bruise on her chest and right shoulder and has skun her mouth a bit too.

Feather is almost 12 years old but is otherwise fit and healthy, I'm hoping she's got a few more happy years ahead of her, send her some healing vibes please.

Edited by Kirislin

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

someone could have scored themselves a fantastic camera because I every nearly left it on the walkway when I carried her to the car.

It's the most sickening feeling when our beautiful dogs hurt themselves, so many thoughts rush through your head.

She hasn't moved since I put her in the crate, but I can see she's awake, her eyes are open but I'm hoping she's in a drugged up haze and not feeling any pain right now.

poor old girl , Kirislin .. like us humans ,when we have a bad fall - it shakes us up considerably. Did the vet check her gums etc for colour ? She may well be in shock ....

yes he checked her fairly thoroughly. I asked if she might have internal injuries when we saw the bruise on her chest but he thinks it's unlikely because her colour was OK

She went into shock almost immediately. As I was driving her home to ring the vet I had my hand on her and could feel she was cooler than normal, but by the time I was getting her to the vet her temp had gone up again.

She's still just laying there with her eyes open, she hasn't moved since I put her in the crate. I think I'd feel alot happier if she closed her eyes and had a sleep, but the staring eyes are unsettling. My poor baby.

Hopefully the fright has knocked her around more than any serious injury. When older dogs fail at something physically I think their ego takes a bit of a hit. I know that is anthropomorphising but in nature an old or injured dog is useless to the pack and I think that old or injured dog knows and fears that so why wouldn't our domesticated canines also suffer something similar?

I also hope she is just bruised and the drugs are keeping her mellowed out. It really is like your grandma taking a spill though and getting a fright!

I do have rescue remedy! Do you think it would be OK to give on top of morphine and the anti inflam? When I picked her up I didn't think to ask about ongoing pain meds, and she's just started a rythmical whimpering now. :( a little whistling cry with each breath. I've never heard her cry in pain like this before. :cry: