Oldest Dog You've Met?

samoyedman

(Forgive me if this has been a topic before. Did a quick search and couldnt see anything).

On friday morning at my dog grooming salon i met a lady with a dog that was 19 years old. That's the oldest dog i have ever met. She was deaf and blind and the owner was explaining to the groomer how to handle her.

It's amazing how long dogs can live for these days. When i was a kid I never heard of a dog living much past 12 years old.

What age is the oldest dog you have met?

Edited by samoyedman

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Forgive me if this has been a topic before. Did a quick search and couldnt see anything).

On friday morning at my dog grooming salon i met a lady with a dog that was 19 years old. That's the oldest dog i have ever met. She was deaf and blind and the owner was explaining to the groomer how to handle him.

It's amazing how long dogs can live for these days. When i was a kid I never heard of a dog living much past 12 years old.

What age is the oldest dog you have met?

21 year old toy poodle. She was deaf, blind and pretty bald but quite sprightly still.

Someone I know recently lost their 20 year old mini poodle. He was nearly blind.

21 year old Poodle here too. And I have known personally 2 blue ACD that reached 22 and 23 respectively, but that doesn't surprise me all that much as they have a drop of dingo in their heritage and Dingo can live well in to their 20's.

In all cases I wouldn't have let the dogs reach that age. None were in that good a health even considering their age. It seems to be some sort of demented competition for some folks.

The oldest dog I currently groom is 16yrs old small wire haired terrier mix.

My own ACD was 17 when she was given her wings. Not bad for a dog that nearly died after eating compost and nearly died a second time after walking into the neighbour's garage and devouring an entire box of snail pellets (including the box) whilst my flat mate was chatting to the neighbour. We went through some scotch that night. True to form she counter surfed the night before she became ill (liver cancer) and ate an entire loaf of bread. We had to walk her on leash only in her last 12 months as she would forget her arthritis and sprint flat out on the beach only to pull up terribly sore the next day.

Also the oldest was our own. Dear Grandma, who was just short of 23 yrs of age. Rescued as a puppy thrown from a car, her name was Tessa. When she got to 13, we thought she was elderly & she was nicknamed Grandma. But she lived nearly 10 more years & would only answer to 'Grandma'. I even had to get her name changed on her council registration.

She used to visit the University of Qld Vet Clinic, from 19 yrs onwards, so they could keep a good eye on her. A student would hold her & say, 'This dog is older than me!'/

I knew a beautiful cream chihuahua who was 21 years old, could still see and was so cute and friendly, everyone loved her. Sadly she was killed by another dog at a park.

That is inexpressibly sad :cry::cry: . My Tirra was past 16 (Chi X Pap) when he was killed by a foster dog. I think of him every day over 5 years later.

I met a few times some years ago a Mini Poodle 22 years old, but she was in such a state that it was cruel to keep her going :( .

And my own Toy Poodle was just shy of 20.

So yes, some pretty long lived dogs around today.

A friends blue cattle Tara, she was 19 when she passed peacefully in her sleep, a bit deaf and blind but was still a force to be reckoned with when you knocked on the door :)

Another bluey that a friend of mine found crossing 4 lanes of traffic and very disorientated. Took her to the vet and she was chipped but the owners weren't interested in taking her back :( My vet estimated her age at late teens at the time and she lived the life of luxury for another 3 years with my dog groomer friend, passing again in her sleep overnight. We called her Lizzie because we thought she was old as the Queen Mother who was 100 at the time :laugh: