Oldest Dog You've Met?

samoyedman

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I met a 17 year old Cavalier at the SA Cavalier club a couple years ago.. He's since gone over the rainbow bridge. But thats a really good age for a Cavalier ! :)

I just had a 15 yo CKCS in on Friday. In quite good shape for that age!

A friends little grey fluffy terrier cross died when we were both 19. His parent got the dog the year before he was born (so at least 20) from a shelter and it was already a young adult of unknown age. He was a happy little thing, just a bit senile in his old age and half blind.

My own ACD was 17 when she was given her wings. Not bad for a dog that nearly died after eating compost and nearly died a second time after walking into the neighbour's garage and devouring an entire box of snail pellets (including the box) whilst my flat mate was chatting to the neighbour. We went through some scotch that night. True to form she counter surfed the night before she became ill (liver cancer) and ate an entire loaf of bread. We had to walk her on leash only in her last 12 months as she would forget her arthritis and sprint flat out on the beach only to pull up terribly sore the next day.

Sounds just like Em, our 13 year old kelpie x acd (we've always called her the cattle dog in kelpie's clothes). We were at Barwon Heads this evening and some one asked why I wouldn't let her off lead to have a big swim. I explained that, if I did she'd have a huge swim and run after all the other dogs and would be in agony tomorrow from her arthritis. She had a little swim on lead and I reckon she'll be a bit stiff tomorrow from that.

I live with him... 21 year old Mini Foxy

1422551_765479326815068_1716872753_n.jpg

The oldest I ever met was a 21 year old foxy too. She belonged to my SIL's boyfriend of the time. She was deaf and a bit stiff, but very sprightly and bossy! She had a 16 year old poodle x toy boy. :D

Columbus is a bit stiff and a lot deaf, but he can hear the chook scrap bucket and dances up to the coop to share. laugh.gif

:laugh:

Trixie always magically appears when you're preparing food. Also at breakfast and dinner time she certainly doesn't seem 17 the way she leaps around jumping in the air!

I met a 17 year old Cavalier at the SA Cavalier club a couple years ago.. He's since gone over the rainbow bridge. But thats a really good age for a Cavalier ! :)

I just had a 15 yo CKCS in on Friday. In quite good shape for that age!

thats great to hear ! one of ours is almost 12 but shes aging quickly :(

Our family dog when I was young lived to 19 years of age. Not blind or deaf, quite active, never had any health problem or needed vet treatment in his life until the end.

Developed sudden, severe illness which turned out to a be a tumour on the liver from memory or similar. He was a medium size mongrel.

When I lived in the Perth suburbs, the neighbor (one down) had a 22 yr old Scottie. He still walked the mile to the markets with his owner once a week. No apparent blindness, lameness, or other problems . . . just moved a bit slow. The young adults in the neighborhood all remember him as a holy terror in his younger years, always escaping, siring litters all over the neighborhood. He was just an ordinary pet . . . fed supermarket food and scraps . . . not given much special care. I've often wondered how many more years he kept going.

My mutt Bronson was an heelerxbullterrierxamstaff and he was 17 when he died. He passed away in his sleep after chasing around his yard mate all day. They spayed her 2 weeks later and found out she was pregnant! I was 18 and 12 years later I think of him every day. Still chokes me up. There's a lot in Vinnie that reminds me of him, kind of feel like Bronnie helped us pick him.

The oldest I've seen was a chi who was 21. She died in her sleep.

I knew a beautiful cream chihuahua who was 21 years old, could still see and was so cute and friendly, everyone loved her. Sadly she was killed by another dog at a park.

That is inexpressibly sad :cry::cry: . My Tirra was past 16 (Chi X Pap) when he was killed by a foster dog. I think of him every day over 5 years later.

I met a few times some years ago a Mini Poodle 22 years old, but she was in such a state that it was cruel to keep her going :( .

And my own Toy Poodle was just shy of 20.

So yes, some pretty long lived dogs around today.

I agree DD. It always upsets me to hear of dogs who have lived a long life and in old age are cruelly killed in such circumstances - or sometimes are dumped at the pound. They deserve to live out their final years in peace :cry:

The little ones do seem to live a lot longer.