Oldest Dog You've Met?

samoyedman

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our Grandma (formerly Tessa), who lived until she was 22 ys, was a mixed breed little black dog... with some white. She looked like a small spaniel ( plumed tail like a tibbie) crossed with a small poodle.

When my brother and I used to groom dogs there was a little silky (cross?) that came in called Tess, she was 20 years old and my brother was only 19!

She was so small, had hardly any hair.. or teeth! We'd wash her straight away and then tidy up her feet/fringe/nails and bum and leave her on some warm towels near where we were grooming until her owners came to get her. Sometimes we'd ask them to wait as it was a lot of stress looking after something that small and old!

My friend's Cocker Spaniel lived to be 22 years of age, but gave us all a scare at the age of 19 when she got washed away in a flood & we were unable to find her. Deaf & almost blind, she found her way home 3 weeks later looking a sorry sight..... but she was a survivor & went on to live for another three years!

My former vet who left our little town to work in Central Australia once told me about a dog she treated in Alice Springs who was 28 years old :eek:

I have a little 'retiree' who lives with me and turned 19 in November. He's a bit dottery and arthritic and sleeps like the dead because he's quite deaf. He just potters around during the day and doesn't cause any trouble :)

Seems like all the long-lived ones are smallish dogs.

while not the age mentioned in many posts here - my old boy (a Dane x Bull Terrier) was 15 when given his wings due to osteosarcoma.

My oldest was one month shy of her 22nd birthday a beagle .I knew it was almost time and hated the idea of having to do it for her but she saved me from that and quietly simply went to sleep. She was there when I had my children, whem my house burnt down, when my first marriage broke up,when my Dad died .She listened and made me feel that I was never alone, she made me feel she loved me almost as much as I loved her .Saying good bye to her was one of the hardest things Ive ever done in my life - I still own one of her great great great grandaughters.

My oldest was one month shy of her 22nd birthday a beagle .I knew it was almost time and hated the idea of having to do it for her but she saved me from that and quietly simply went to sleep. She was there when I had my children, whem my house burnt down, when my first marriage broke up,when my Dad died .She listened and made me feel that I was never alone, she made me feel she loved me almost as much as I loved her .Saying good bye to her was one of the hardest things Ive ever done in my life - I still own one of her great great great grandaughters.

Steve your post made me teary! It made me remember my old Rotti who lived to 12 and all the things we went through together. Of all the things that came and went in my life, he was my only constant and was my rock. No matter what happened, I always had my boy. I miss him dearly!

For me, that's the hardest part of losing them. They are there on the edge of so many of the big events in our lives and, when they go you lose a connection to those times. I felt that way with our cat, Cosmo, when he died. He was only 12 (young for this thread), but he was the first pet OH & I got together, right at the start of our relationship and had been there for all the big events of our lives. And now Indiana. Over the last couple of days I keep remembering the way she reacted when we brought our son home from the hospital. She was so fascinated and excited by the baby, but gentle.

:cry:

So hard. I hate watching Trixie age and I dread having to one day make that decision.

• 8 months later...

My oldest was just shy of 17 but I've also met an 18 year old who didn't look their age at all! It is so hard with an oldie that you have had for most of its life because they have shared so many years and experiences with you. All those Christmases and birthdays. All that photo bombing. All the funny stories and the tears - they have been right by your side. They are everywhere in your memories. I even had that old girl for longer than any of my relationships have lasted!

I used to look after a poodle x (not sure what with) quite frequently, he was 16 when i first started looking after him, and each time i said goodbye thinking that would be the last time i saw him but he lived for years longer! Passed at the age of 19.

I currently groom a 16 year old dog- tiny mixed breed. Who has some cataracts, but otherwise very spritely and active. I hope my dogs age as gracefully as he.

The oldest dog I've ever met belonged to my husband's favourite Aunt. Honey was a mini dachshund who was 19 when I met her and given her wings at the age of 21 when she could no longer see, hear or move. She was a sweet little thing, but I did feel sorry for her at the end. It must have been heartbreaking to have to make the decision to let her go, but she had no quality of life at the end and it was sad to see her like that.

My own lovely girl declined very suddenly at the age of 14 and went over the bridge in May this year. Not a day goes by that I don't think of her. In many ways it's like losing a very close friend.

Edited by WeimMe