Teeth Cleaning

Hi All,

Just a heads up on the seaweed Ascophyllum Nodosum.

I went with Starwest Botanicals (Aust.), cost was for about 500 grams (1 pound) for $37.95 post free, which I thought was a good price, but me being me put the product into E-Bay and came up with the same product at $15.95 plus postage of $7.90. No prizes for guessing where I purchased from.

I am close to running out Oakway and I had a look on ebay for it but couldn't find one at a similar price to yours. Can you give me/us some more clues?

If you do a search for kelp powder on eBay and then make sure the kelp is Ascophyllum Nodosum you will be on the right track.

I DID! but either I, or my computer, is/are having a dyslexic week :laugh: (my grammar could also do with a brush-up)

Thanks Oakway for the link.

From Brain-dead Me

I can supply your organic Ascophyllum Nodosum with a dogz discount. 450g or 1kg bags if you are interested.Link

O Blast it all Steve! I bought some from the Oakway-ebay-seller-link, I had checked your Calendula petals (out of interest) but didn't think to check the seaweed. I am cross now as I would have much rather bought from you.

I hate that! :o

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

I went with Starwest Botanicals (Aust.), cost was for about 500 grams (1 pound) for $37.95 post free, which I thought was a good price, but me being me put the product into E-Bay and came up with the same product at $15.95 plus postage of $7.90. No prizes for guessing where I purchased from.

I am close to running out Oakway and I had a look on ebay for it but couldn't find one at a similar price to yours. Can you give me/us some more clues?

If you do a search for kelp powder on eBay and then make sure the kelp is Ascophyllum Nodosum you will be on the right track.

I DID! but either I, or my computer, is/are having a dyslexic week :laugh: (my grammar could also do with a brush-up)

From Brain-dead Me

I can supply your organic Ascophyllum Nodosum with a dogz discount. 450g or 1kg bags if you are interested.Link

O Blast it all Steve! I bought some from the Oakway-ebay-seller-link, I had checked your Calendula petals (out of interest) but didn't think to check the seaweed. I am cross now as I would have much rather bought from you.

Any thing herbal or similar Ive usually got - just slow at putting it on the website. Nominations slowing me down.

You definately need a GA to do veterinary scale and polishing, but you do not have to have teeth scaling that often if you choose to feed raw bones. I find the very soft and chewy brisket bones are the best at cleaning teeth. Just a bone twice a week will keep your dog's teeth in tip top condition, and brisket bones are high in cartilage, so they also assist in treating arthritis.

You definately need a GA to do veterinary scale and polishing, but you do not have to have teeth scaling that often if you choose to feed raw bones. I find the very soft and chewy brisket bones are the best at cleaning teeth. Just a bone twice a week will keep your dog's teeth in tip top condition, and brisket bones are high in cartilage, so they also assist in treating arthritis.

You will not get an effective tooth clean above the gum line without a GA. God only knows I wish my peridontist would knock ME out for that but I have to get by on a local.

I really struggle with one of my dog's teeth. She gets the same diet as the others, plenty of raw bones and she needs annual cleans to prevent the onset of gum disease. She's 16 next month and going strong. I weigh the risk of GA against the risk of gum disease and its impact on her health generally and opt for the cleaning.

I do think it is harder with the smaller dogs and even worse for dogs that don't have scissor bites.

Hi All,

From Brain-dead Me

Any thing herbal or similar Ive usually got - just slow at putting it on the website. Nominations slowing me down.

Well we will all run out of it sooner or later and we now know where to purchase it from with in our own ranks.

Hi All,

From Brain-dead Me

Julie, you are fast becoming the one-stop shop for me; I expect to have an order to you shortly :)

You will not get an effective tooth clean above the gum line without a GA. God only knows I wish my peridontist would knock ME out for that but I have to get by on a local.

I really struggle with one of my dog's teeth. She gets the same diet as the others, plenty of raw bones and she needs annual cleans to prevent the onset of gum disease. She's 16 next month and going strong. I weigh the risk of GA against the risk of gum disease and its impact on her health generally and opt for the cleaning.

I do think it is harder with the smaller dogs and even worse for dogs that don't have scissor bites.

This is so true- sometimes small dogs do not pack the same punch with jaw forces so don't manage to keep their teeth clean. And some dogs just have bad luck and noting you seem to do keeps them clean!! This actually also happens in people- some people have perfect teeth with no effort, some need to visit the dentist regularly despite regular brushing and following all the healthy teeth guidelines.

When you think about the link between dental disease and heart disease and other health problems I think a dental is a no brainer. But I think we need better education to explain these links!!

Its also about quality of life. I have a friend with a hole in her tooth and seriously I have been listening to the complaints for WEEKS!! Our dogs just get on in life but they still feel pain and I wouldn't want my golden oldie to feel sad about enjoying their tucker because of bad teeth that could be fixed. The number of dogs that wake up from a dental with significant numbers of teeth removed then get so excited and scoff down a meal faster than ever because their mouth actually feels better is amazing!

HW- your little girl is very lucky that you understand the risks and benefits!! But I do understand because I have one kelpie who eats the same as my others and always has grotty teeth- we have started brushing them to try and keep on top of it but I think he is just 'one of those dogs' sigh. Thankfully he quite likes the attention and actually sits and asks for you to clean his teeth because he knows he gets a cuddle at the end of it :)

Edited by Jumabaar

I struggle with one of my dog's teeth too. She is nine years old & has had a couple removed due to slab fractures from chomping roo tail; her teeth are always manky although she has been fed raw with plenty of meaty bones from puppyhood. I have always considered it to be genetic as none of my other dogs now or in the past have had teeth problems like her.

Sadly not open access, but interesting all the same

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.gene.2014.01.057

Julesp can she have deer antlers? My boy has a very sensitive tummy and can't handle bones but goes ok with these and they have done wonders for his teeth.

They have sodium in them and protein so don't think so.

Amber can't have bones or a GA. So that is a bit of a problem. If you have any ideas Bruce I would love to hear them. Amber has inoperable multi liver shunts and has had HE episodes after eating bones.

You may have to try the new "healthy Mouth" water additive - supposed to work quite well I am told.

You may have to try the new "healthy Mouth" water additive - supposed to work quite well I am told.

I can't find anyone in Australia who stocks 'Healthy Mouth'. Do you know if it's available anywhere here?

I can't find anyone in Australia who stocks 'Healthy Mouth'. Do you know if it's available anywhere here?

Try your vet. According to the stuff I've just been reading it is sold at vets only.

Amber can't have bones or a GA. So that is a bit of a problem. If you have any ideas Bruce I would love to hear them. Amber has inoperable multi liver shunts and has had HE episodes after eating bones.

Thanks. It sounds like it doesn't get existing plaque off. You are supposed to do a teeth clean and then use it.

• 3 months later...

hi Julie, I've just sent you a note, via your website, about ordering some kelp; I thought I had some left in the packet I have but it's empty so I'm really very low.

please let me know when the kelp will be available to order and also, how much postage to NSW, 2152.

thanks

hi Julie, I've just sent you a note, via your website, about ordering some kelp; I thought I had some left in the packet I have but it's empty so I'm really very low.

please let me know when the kelp will be available to order and also, how much postage to NSW, 2152.

thanks

Available now - Postage calculated in the shop

My link

Edited by Steve

• 2 weeks later...