Would You Say Something?

Snoopy21

So I managed to bring it up tactfully today. I mentioned that surgery was an option and he said "At $1000 an eye? Fat chance". He did go on to say that it wouldn't do her any harm long term and that the surgery doesn't always work anyway. I'm not sure I agree with all of that but what can you do?

From that response I would understand he already knew what it was and has already had quotes to fix it? I certainly wouldn't expect it to cost that much.

We had Petunia's done when she was desexed so I've no idea re cost. If he's managing it now good for him, you mentioned it which may be about all you can do at this point. :(

Don't want to push too hard I guess... Hope it doesn't get any worse, perhaps you've given him food for thought.

Is be finding another vet at $1000 per eye! Everything in Darwin is twice as expensive as down south and I know that even up here it's well below $1000 for the surgery.

I have a client who has a dog with cherry eye and it doesn't seem to bother the dog at all but it can cause worse health issues down the track if left untreated.

So I managed to bring it up tactfully today. I mentioned that surgery was an option and he said "At $1000 an eye? Fat chance". He did go on to say that it wouldn't do her any harm long term and that the surgery doesn't always work anyway. I'm not sure I agree with all of that but what can you do?

I find it quite upsetting that he would say that, especially the "fat chance" part. It's always good to get other quotes and do a bit of shopping, but if that's what it costs, I would not hesitate if I thought my dog was in pain or her health was in jeopardy. Some people shouldn't own dogs.

I find it quite upsetting that he would say that, especially the "fat chance" part. It's always good to get other quotes and do a bit of shopping, but if that's what it costs, I would not hesitate if I thought my dog was in pain or her health was in jeopardy. Some people shouldn't own dogs.

Oh god, that poor dog. I know it is a huge amount of money, but how can you leave an animal in that situation.

Are you 100% sure it's cherry eye?

My Dane has very droopy eyelids and around the bottom of her irises there is a large area that is very pink. A lot of people think there is something quite wrong with her eyes because it is pink and very noticeable, but in fact there is no problem.

In fact it is also quite common in Danes of her colouring.

I will find a pic for you so you can compare :)

Just offering a possible alternative suggestion :)

My Chihuahua x has had both eyes repaired . She had the second eye done 3 days ago.

I have also had 2 foster dogs in the past with cherry eye and had them repaired as well.

They had it stitched into position not removed. There is a chance it may fail later on however I did not want to risk dry eye further down the track .

Sometimes the condition is not apparent when puppies as my little Chi was born here and hers was not visible till around 12 months.

The cost of her surgery was $400 which included a full blood profile. $1000 seems a bit expensive .

Your girl is gorgeous Raineth! This dog has a large bulge that protrudes quite a way across her eye. It isn't flat like that. Her eyes slope down at the outer corners (mastiff type face) and that is where I notice the loose eyelid.

As someone mentioned up there, I'm pretty sure he knew what it was and what needed doing to fix it, he just doesn't want to pay out for it. Which is sad for his dog, especially since he seems to have gotten a rather large over estimation of the price of the surgery.