Rally O

Thanks guys for the advice so far! I won't be able to film today sadly as have both an agility private and club training so will do some obedience tomorrow and see how I go filming that!

Some great new ideas for the platform work from this and also some youtube searches.. feeling much more hopeful about training again - sometimes I get a bit disappointed with how we are going as a team, but just have to think back 12 months ago when things were a lot worse!

:laugh: Elise+Hudson - it is really important to think in terms of small increments. And remember to be a splitter not a lumper - work on small componenets and get them done really well, rather than doing a mediocre job on a whole chain. It fits in better if you're time poor - and Hudson will thank you for it as he will be much clearer about what it is that you really want, and how to get reinforcement. Applies to agility just as much as obedience :D .

How i trained my food motivated dog finish left was:

Dog sitting in front'

As you move your left foot a step back then together again,

food in left hand lure dog in anticlockwise circle until they are in the heal position.

ETA I Like those target mats Tassie may i ask what they are?

Rainy, they're just cut to size to fit your dog from those interlocking camping floor mats you can get in packs of 4 from outdoor and camping stores .. the solid ones obviously, not the ones with holes. :laugh: They're quite often on special. You can cut them with a Stanley knife or scissors, and then I just gaffer tape them together. It's good to have a couple that the dog can stand on .. with only a bit of room at the sides and a bit more in length. You can also have cut down ones as the dog learns what he's doing, do that they just fit a neat tuck sit. Mine could probably do with being a bit higher .. it's good for the dog to be able to feel when he's out of position.

Thanks its such a great idea that never occurred to me before :thumbsup:

Thanks for starting this thread :) I am working on getting my 2 ready for the BC Nationals in about 6 or 7 weeks. It will be good to watch and get ideas.

:thumbsup: Looking forward to meeting up, piper. :D

Yes. Hopefully there will be catch up time. First nationals I was so crazy busy running from 1 place to another that I hardly met anyone that I wanted to. At this stage if I get there Friday I will be stupidly busy and not likely to stop and speak to anyone. Saturday will only be slightly better but I think Sunday will be good with no one entered in anything :)

Thanks for starting this thread :) I am working on getting my 2 ready for the BC Nationals in about 6 or 7 weeks. It will be good to watch and get ideas.

:thumbsup: Looking forward to meeting up, piper. :D

Yes. Hopefully there will be catch up time. First nationals I was so crazy busy running from 1 place to another that I hardly met anyone that I wanted to. At this stage if I get there Friday I will be stupidly busy and not likely to stop and speak to anyone. Saturday will only be slightly better but I think Sunday will be good with no one entered in anything :)

:rofl: I hear you! I haven't been to a BC Nationals before - and I think I'm going overboard in terms of entering stuff. Agility for both of them Friday, Rally for both of them Saturday - two classes each cos they're doing RAE, still tossing up about whether to enter DWD Sat evening, then for Rory, conformation and obedience - hope they've allowed for being in 2 places - OK for me cos a friend is showing him in Aus Bred - but the dog has to be in 2 places :rofl: .

And I'm well old enough to know better :rofl:

Wish I had your stamina Tassie, I'm 99.9% sure I can't take Tilba to Melbourne. I'm a very slack trainer especially after being ill for most of last year. The one & only DWD freestyle comp we entered was a flop & we haven't done anything towards it since. So looks like it will just be oh & I going.

Wish I had your stamina Tassie, I'm 99.9% sure I can't take Tilba to Melbourne. I'm a very slack trainer especially after being ill for most of last year. The one & only DWD freestyle comp we entered was a flop & we haven't done anything towards it since. So looks like it will just be oh & I going.

:rofl: Not sure if it's stamina or stupidity, luvsdogs. Looking forward to seeing you, even if not seeing you competing.

You will have quite a cheer squad Tassie! I hope I can get down to KCC Park to watch some of the dogs sports. Would be rather fun to enjoy a glass of wine whilst everyone else is doing the hard work for a change!!!

I might trundle on down for a look :)

My entries are in. Need to pull my finger out with the training now.

Mine too, piper. I decided to keep going with the feral senior as well, and see how far we can get towards RAE2. She does really enjoy the rally ring, although she thinks it's a bit mad and a bit slow. So there's every chance she will do what she can to liven things up - just hope she's not too embarrassing :rofl: .

My entries are in. Need to pull my finger out with the training now.

Mine too, piper. I decided to keep going with the feral senior as well, and see how far we can get towards RAE2. She does really enjoy the rally ring, although she thinks it's a bit mad and a bit slow. So there's every chance she will do what she can to liven things up - just hope she's not too embarrassing :rofl: .

A friend in the states put up video a few years back of her youngster having a feral round and grabbing the cones as they went past each 1. LOL

I need to work on Cinna's walking on lead and fade the treats. This next statement is funny given the heat we have had but... if it isn't raining too much tomorrow night I will take her to the club to work her in a distracting environment.

for lefts, my "secret"(everyone asks me when they see my dogs lefts and side steps lol) is that I teach a solid understanding of what "heel" is(ie, perfectly in line with me and perfectly straight) they should be able to jump into this position no matter where they start. I then teach a command I call "better" which basically means "your a little crooked, straighten up" (this works for everything in heel position and is just a helpful thing to teach, plus you can say "better" without getting singed for a double command lol) once I have that I give the heel command and I begin turning into my dog just around and around and around and asking my dog to "better" ie "I asked you to heel, now I am turning into you so straighten up your heel" as soon as my dog starts swinging its butt I click and treat. they pick it up very quickly, and my dogs all have ridiculously tight and ruler straight side steps, left circles, left pivots and back ups!

Kenz jumped the cone in her third RA pass for her title rather than the jump - duh - just as well she cleared the jump on the second attempt at the station :rofl:. I still think its because the cone was higher then the piddly little 300 bar she has to jump and being the overachiever and all she just wanted to jump something more challenging.

lol ness, at Gems last trial I lifted my right hand slightly before my left hand to point to the jump, she ran to my right and took a flying leap through the air over whatever she saw...signs and cones. lol. she's hardly ever seen a broad jump so when I stuck her in Excellent I was worried but hoping that her sign jump meant she would jump whatever the heck I pointed too lol(she did)