Tassie Lost Dog Found In Victoria

quintessence

Guest Wildthing

Microchips are only effective if the person who finds a lost animal takes it to be scanned immediately. I have had a cat chipped in my name missing for years now.

Had another cat that had also been missing for years that was taken to the vet with advanced nose cancer where the finder told the vet they had only had the cat for a month. However, they told me they had had the cat for years.

Microchips are only effective if the person who finds a lost animal takes it to be scanned immediately. I have had a cat chipped in my name missing for years now.

Had another cat that had also been missing for years that was taken to the vet with advanced nose cancer where the finder told the vet they had only had the cat for a month. However, they told me they had had the cat for years.

And to a vet local to where they're found. I can actually recall two cases of people bringing dogs into the clinic I worked at which was at last 30 minutes drive from where they found the dog (because "Dr. CXXX is their family vet and they trust her...").

I also saw a stray on the Sydney dogs and cats home where someone had picked up a stray in Bathurst on the long weekend and driven it all the way back to SDCH. Now I get that there might not have been a vet open on the public holiday but REALLY?? REALLY??

A tibbie went missing on the Gold Coast for 7 months. Spooked by fireworks. His family arranged for MISSING to be added to his microchip data base.... which would indicate, if he was ever scanned, that his family were looking for him.

7 months later, someone bought a tibbie into AWL Qld Shelter.... saying that the owners couldn't keep him any more. At the vet inspection, he was routinely scanned. Up came MISSING with owners' details. So, far from that being owners who couldn't keep him.... they were looking for him.

AWL phoned his family who raced down to the shelter. There was a big reunion as the little tibbie threw himself into their arms. AWL reported there was not a dry eye in the place!

I didn't know you can have MISSING added to the microchip data. It's well worth it, if your dog goes missing.

Edited by mita

I also saw a stray on the Sydney dogs and cats home where someone had picked up a stray in Bathurst on the long weekend and driven it all the way back to SDCH. Now I get that there might not have been a vet open on the public holiday but REALLY?? REALLY??

I don't get people that do stuff like that, my phone fell out of my pocket at work one day and was picked up by a customer, rather than handing it to the front desk they took it an hours drive away to Wollongong and answered the phone when I rang it trying to find it. I asked them why they hadn't just handed it in they basically said that they were worried the people that owned the business might decide to keep it for themselves :confused:

There is a DOLer (maybe Ellz?) who lost an sbt pup a couple of years back in Tassie under suspicious circs. I still have a feeling that dog is going to pop up somewhere in another state under circumstances like this. And I firmly believe the chinese crested pup that went missing after a horrific truck accident in NSW last year is happily living with a family many kilometres away from where it was originally found.

I don't know how I'd cope if one of mine went missing and I had no closure on what really happened.

Couple years back, our local police in this part of Brisbane put a warning in the district newspaper. They warned that a gang of thieves was targeting small, attractive dogs & taking them from people's yards. Dogs like that could easily be sold on, they said.

The advice they gave was not to leave your dogs in the front yard.

Edited by mita

The Hobart Mercury carries this great story of one dog's incredible journey and safe return.

lovely to read a good news story eh?

What a top Vet Clinic.............. contributing to the costs to get Yoshi back home.

Thanks for this loverly story. Made me smile

:D

ETA: Cheers for that info regarding micropchip & adding missing. Never knew that. Shall follow up for the baby.

Edited by VizslaMomma

Our vet advised that we can update the status when we changed our cat's details over. The scary thing was how easy it was to change the details for him over as we weren't the original owners and didn't have any paperwork. He was an adoption from a friend in need.

The vet we use now also told us the same thing and not to return the first vet as they are probably dodge.

So happy they had their pet returned, the thought of losing mine is incomprehensible. When I think I've lost one of my cats (they are inside only) I go a bit mental only for them to slink out of a hidey hole a few hours later.

All my dogs are chipped; all of them are registered, all of them are on the pets register web site, and all of them are on my property behind secure fences and gates. Not one of them ever gets beyond my borders unless I say so (except Lulu the Shih Tsu/silky/she devil cross, who was possibly Harry Houdini in a former life, but with a much smaller brain).

Woe betide anyone who is stupid enough to try to take them from me. They would regret that, in spades (especially if they took Lulu; they would certainly regret that; I have been trying to give her away for years, but no takers).

And Hobbes, the pit bull would readily march off with any human who said "here boyo, lets go". Like most pit bulls, he thinks all humans are ok. He is a great judge of other canines' characters, but does not have a lot of insight into humans.

Seriously, I guess the best we all can do is chip our dogs and do the best we can to secure them. If someone really, really wants your dog, your dog is gone unless you lock your dog in your house always (and what sort of a life is that for a dog?)

ricey

Edited by ricey