Importing Frozen Semen

ShesaLikeableBiBear

Wazzat from the research I have done (and I must admit it has been a little limited) "most" use straws. Is there much difference between either using straws or pellets?.

Off to do a HEAP more research. :)

I was told the pellets the semen is supposed to keep moving where as straws its up and down, I think its what each vet prefers, with one vet I used I was only able to get the pellets so I didn't have a choice, if you email me I can email you the info the two companies sent me.

[email protected]

When I imported from USA it was pellets, when I imported from UK it was straws, I used Cryogenes both times. The difference was more about common practice at the collection end than a preference by Cryogenes. I have had vets tell me pellets have a higher success rate, and I have had vets tell me they have more success with straws, so not sure what to believe - it may be a matter of what they are used to.

Thanks for your responses, much appreciated.

Off to do more research on the net.

There is nothing like DOL for asking advice on any subject related to our dogs, be it in Breeders Community, Health and Grooming, General Dog Discussion etc., and Off Topic (for the more "mundane", although equally as important, related topics we want to chat about).

A great community for sharing ideas and experiences.

Thanks to Troy for providing everyone with this opportunity. :)

I have had great service with Cryogenes.

In the UK they did not do pellets, I do not think that they do pellets there.

I used Cryogenes twice, once to send semen over to the UK and the second time to bring semen in from the UK.

Frozen Puppies is not around anymore. The original owners are now Sires On Ice and are fantastic! I'd recommend them highly. You can speak to Jess on their Facebook page

I believe that Sires On Ice have a branch in the UK that do the Camelot (pellet) method as well.

Edited by benshiva

We used Sires on Ice to import frozen semen from the UK. They are aligned with UK Clone over there who took the semen in England, the UK owners and breeders gave them a glowing review. From our end Sires on Ice came through for us in the end but they were very slow with their communication. Good luck with your importing!

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding live imports, this is what Genes In Motion have on their page:

Changes to Live Imports

1.Reduction in quarantine stay from 30 days to 10 days

2.RNATT Test (rabies) previous blood sample taken a minimum of 60 days prior to export, now increased to minimum of 180 days

3.Change of categorisation of country – category 1 & 2 (former category 2&3) are rabies free, category 3 (formerly category 4&5) are rabies affected

4.Residency change: category 1 no residency requirement (formerly 90 days)

5.Brucellosis blood sample extended to within 45 days prior to export (previously 30 days)

6.Ehrlichia blood sample reduced to within 21 days prior to export (previously 30 days)

7.Leptospirosis blood sample extended to within 45 days of export (previously 30 days) or a new vaccination administered between 12 months and 14 days prior to export.

8.External parasite treatment to commence 21 days prior to blood sampling for Ehrlichia and maintained until export (previously commenced at time of sampling and 4 days prior to export)

9.Internal parasite treatment now increased to two treatments given within 45 days prior to export and at least 14 days apart, with final treatment given 5 days prior to export (previously one treatment within 4 days prior to export)

10.Nipah virus is no longer required to be tested

11.Final examination extended to within 5 days prior to export (previously 4 days)

12.The health certificates know as Certificate A and Certificate B have now been collapsed into a single document required to be signed by an official government veterinarian.

13.Seals on crates are now no longer required for animals that have been rabies blood tested (previously all crates were sealed by an official vet)

• 1 month later...

Am SO frustrated with Sires On Ice. Sent them an initial enquiry via their website, in Feb, NO response. Called them and eventually we managed to communicate via email (indication was they were having issues with their I.S.P). They sent me a quote. I responded over three weeks ago, asked a few pertinent questions, and have had NO response since then. Surely if you are a business then you need to make sure that your lines of communication are OPEN?.

Try cryogenes. I have always found them very easy to work with and have answered any of my queries fairly promptly. I find SOI good for the insemination side of things, but find the business side is not very responsive.