Auto Immune Induced Granuloma

Airedaler

Has anyone had any experience with this condition and if so how was it treated? Did you try any alternative therapy and if so was this successful?

The condition seems to be far from common and I'm finding it difficult to find any information about it.

Has anyone had any experience with this condition and if so how was it treated? Did you try any alternative therapy and if so was this successful?

The condition seems to be far from common and I'm finding it difficult to find any information about it.

Not with dogs with my daughter - we went through years of medical treatments and creams and drugs to no avail. Then we happened upon Aloe Vera - drank the juice and applied the gel - and that was an almost instant difference - and its never returned even though the treatment with the aloe only went for approx 2 months

Go to google and type in Autoimmune Induced Granuloma aloe see whether anything there helps.

Airedaler - what checks/investigations have you had done for this condition? I don't know much of anything about it (Steve would definitely know more as she's got first-hand experience on it), but I know I've read there can be a link between granuloma and thyroid dysfunction. Have you had your dog's thyroid levels checked? (And if you did, were the tests done via Australian Labratories, or elsewhere?)

Edited by Erny

No thyroid tests, just a biopsy and ensuing pathology results. I'm considering exploring this further with Dr Ann Nevill before committing to putting her on cortisone as my vet thinks is the appropriate treatment. I'm not sure I like the possible side effects of that.

Agree, Airedaler. Cortisone has its place but if you can identify the causal trigger for the Granuloma and properly treat that, that would be better. I hope the Aloe Vera treatment has the same great results as it did for Steve's daughter.

If you do decide to explore the path of thyroid level checks, may I strongly urge you to by-pass the Aussie testing. Reason being is our testing is not to the finite degree as the USA testing is. In Australia, the tests don't show up thyroid dysfunction until the thyroid tissue is 70% destroyed. In the USA, the testing can pick up thyroid dysfunction far earlier than that. So, if you had a test done in Australia and it showed "negative", it wouldn't necessarily mean that thyroid was not the culprit.

In addition, the analysis is not as accurate either. In Australia, the analysis is based on "small, medium or large" dog. In USA (using Dr Jean Dodds), the analysis is based on "small, medium, large" as well as "age" as well as "breed".

The testing via USA might be a little less convenient but it is not exorbitantly more expensive and results are fast (turn around time for me is generally 1 week approximately).

Pleased to say I had a consultation with Dr Ann Nevill this morning re my girl's problem. She is very positive that we can sort out the problem without cortisone. We had a session of acupuncture and I have been given some anti inflammatory Chinese herbs to administer and she is sending off a hair sample for analysis. Fingers crossed.

Pleased to say I had a consultation with Dr Ann Nevill this morning re my girl's problem. She is very positive that we can sort out the problem without cortisone. We had a session of acupuncture and I have been given some anti inflammatory Chinese herbs to administer and she is sending off a hair sample for analysis. Fingers crossed.

:thumbsup:

I have a lot of respect in hair-DNA testing and analysis ….. if you hadn't already gathered, lol. (Actually, you might not have …. I didn't write of hair-DNA in this thread - have in so many others though. *Smack* … I must be slacking off! :laugh: .) Glad that an address to the situation is from the point of view of helping the body strengthen and resolve rather than only targeting symptom.

Will be looking forward to hearing how things are getting on and hoping it's all good news from here upwards :)

Edited by Erny

Fantastic! Sounds like you have a good vet.

Fantastic! Sounds like you have a good vet.

Its the first time I've been to her Steve but she has a good reputation and treats conventionally as well as using Chinese principles. I must admit I did wonder a little when I arrived and there were two dogs (presumably belonging to staff) a cross breed and a scotty terrier running around the place. It seemed a little confronting.

My usual vet had emailed her the pathology results which she said were very complex. I'm pleased that my regular vet was not offended that I wanted another opinion and in fact I think he was quite pleased as he really was not sure about just how to proceed. Having received the additional pathology results he may have had a better idea but it would only have been conventional treatment which of course is only treating the symptoms.

Oh by the way, I have been following your advise about using Aloe Vera and I also used Colloidal Silver when I ran out of AV. She was very happy for me to continue with either. So thanks to you.

Edited by Airedaler

• 4 weeks later...

I'm delighted to say that my decision to seek a second opinion about treatment of my girl's granuloma has paid off. Instead of committing her to a life on cortisone and the subsequent side effects of that she has to date had 4 acupuncture sessions and various herbal mixes together with a slight change to her diet. One of the two granulomas has reduced in size by about one third and the second one by a bit less than that.

Not a total fix at this stage but on the way not only to help the current issue but to get her auto immune balance back to where it should be or at least closer.

We expect another couple of acupuncture sessions and another month or so taking the herbs before the situation is re evaluated.

Change to the diet simply - add more vegetables (anti inflammatory) and some offal.

Fingers crossed the improvement continues.

I'm delighted to say that my decision to seek a second opinion about treatment of my girl's granuloma has paid off. Instead of committing her to a life on cortisone and the subsequent side effects of that she has to date had 4 acupuncture sessions and various herbal mixes together with a slight change to her diet. One of the two granulomas has reduced in size by about one third and the second one by a bit less than that.

Not a total fix at this stage but on the way not only to help the current issue but to get her auto immune balance back to where it should be or at least closer.

We expect another couple of acupuncture sessions and another month or so taking the herbs before the situation is re evaluated.

Change to the diet simply - add more vegetables (anti inflammatory) and some offal.

Fingers crossed the improvement continues.

thumbsup1.gif fantastic!

Yay!! Good on you Airdaler!!

So rapt that you erred towards at least trialling a well-considered but natural treatment basis for your girl. So hoping the treatment can totally resolve :) . In trying this first, you've not only possibly hit on success :crossfingers: but the upshot will be that your dog's system will not have to deal with the side-effects of cortisone.

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant :dancingelephant:

I have also had great results using a supplement called Transfer Factor (4-Life.com.au), an extract of collostrum that helps to activate the inate immune system (non-antibody path ways), for settling and controlling Auto-immune diseases (like lupus, haemolytic anaemia ...). It is not cheap, but it does work.

:thumbsup: for The Transfer Factor. I used this with Mandela in the earlier days of his troubles - Dr Bruce ….. I think YOU put me on to them. It did assist. I actually started taking them myself. I've become an agent for them (made it easier for me to get in bulk) and I've also had friends who were unwell, Doctors couldn't pin point (one was diagnosed Chronic Fatigue). I sent them some bottles of The Transfer Factor and it helped them quite a bit too.

:thumbsup: for The Transfer Factor. I used this with Mandela in the earlier days of his troubles - Dr Bruce ….. I think YOU put me on to them. It did assist. I actually started taking them myself. I've become an agent for them (made it easier for me to get in bulk) and I've also had friends who were unwell, Doctors couldn't pin point (one was diagnosed Chronic Fatigue). I sent them some bottles of The Transfer Factor and it helped them quite a bit too.

Yep, I think I did put Mandela on them at one point. I think they are great, safe, and effective. Hopefully you can supply to DOL members ?

Oh Erny, you're an agent for Transfer Factor? Brilliant news! I've been buying it from USA for the last 6 years because I couldn't find anyone here who sells it here. Would you be kind enough to provide some details?

I give it to my two dogs and now take it myself.