Shaved Pug

Snout Girl

We had a client at a salon I used to work at that had her pug clipped. It was that or her husband said he had to go due to the shedding. From memory it was clipped with a #10 blade, so pretty short but not bald.

Not ideal but there are way worse things I suppose.

I fail to understand why anyone would get a dog and then complain about the hair......WTF did they think was going to happen?

Shaving dogs is my biggest pet peeve. If you don't want to deal with moulting or grooming get a HAIRLESS breed, or a toy.

Edited by Bjelkier

But it doesn't hurt the dog so who cares?

Surely growing back it would itch just like any shaved hair that grew back?

When my pug had a shaved patch on his back from surgery he used to try and rub it on things when it started to grow back and I don't think it was because it felt pleasant. Can't imagine a whole body like that.

Poor little thing, why get a shedding dog if they don't like dog hair :confused:

Or, don't get a double coated pug! My single coat girl hardly drops a hair, unlike my fluffbucket boy who leaves a breadcrumb trail of hairs wherever he goes :laugh:

I came across this when I was working in the same place as a groomer a few years ago. I was shocked to see a Pug and a Foxy both shaved bald. I asked what was going on and was told that the owners couldn't stand the shedding but that it was a wonderful home and the dogs were very loved.

As a rescuer, I do see and hear about dogs being either given up to the pound or away free or put outside permanently - all because of the hair shedding - so I don't believe this is the worst case scenario. If it means a dog remains inside as part of the family then that's good.

In my opinion a lot more emphasis needs to be put on the hair shedding factor to anyone who is contemplating buying from a breeder or a petshop (God forbid) so that the dogs are not compromised at some future point, ie when new owner discovers they shed ... Many people I've spoken to have been totally ignorant of this fact until they had the dog. I regularly hear this about Labradors for example.

I have dogs that shed and probably always will - yes it drives me mad sometimes as I do like to wear black but I'd never contemplate leaving them outside or getting rid of them because of it.

Unless you actually waxed the dog the short shaved hair would still moult surely!

Yeah I would think it would still shed, but just tiny little spiky hairs??

And tiny spiky hairs are the worst! I've got a mainly white Italian Greyhound - they shed although people don't expect them to and they have very short hair, I spent hours picking white hairs off a new black top the other day ...

Unless you actually waxed the dog the short shaved hair would still moult surely!

Yeah I would think it would still shed, but just tiny little spiky hairs??

And that is exactly why I tell people it's a stupid thing to do. We had 2 pugs surrendered to our rescue once that were shaved. Those spiky little hairs still shed and they are hard to remove. Far harder than the normal length!

I came across this when I was working in the same place as a groomer a few years ago. I was shocked to see a Pug and a Foxy both shaved bald. I asked what was going on and was told that the owners couldn't stand the shedding but that it was a wonderful home and the dogs were very loved.

As a rescuer, I do see and hear about dogs being either given up to the pound or away free or put outside permanently - all because of the hair shedding - so I don't believe this is the worst case scenario. If it means a dog remains inside as part of the family then that's good.

In my opinion a lot more emphasis needs to be put on the hair shedding factor to anyone who is contemplating buying from a breeder or a petshop (God forbid) so that the dogs are not compromised at some future point, ie when new owner discovers they shed ... Many people I've spoken to have been totally ignorant of this fact until they had the dog. I regularly hear this about Labradors for example.

I have dogs that shed and probably always will - yes it drives me mad sometimes as I do like to wear black but I'd never contemplate leaving them outside or getting rid of them because of it.

Yep, that's exactly what I was going to say. Probably thought a short haired dog wouldn't shed as much. I admit I was one of those Labrador owners. I had no idea she was going to shed as much as she did. Not that i ever considered shaving her though. And now I have a huksy. :laugh: Labrador shedding has nothing on a husky :eek:

One of the things that sold us on greyhounds was that they were 'low-sheddders'. Uh huh. (Examines the fur tumbleweeds blowing across the floor and contemplates the accessorising of my entire wardrobe). In future I will go for dogs of only one colour - the mainly white, all black and the red brindle combo make wardrobe choices impossible.

I read somewhere once that if you don't consider dog hair a condiment, don't get a dog, and I really think that's a fair enough statement.

We had a client at a salon I used to work at that had her pug clipped. It was that or her husband said he had to go due to the shedding. From memory it was clipped with a #10 blade, so pretty short but not bald.

Not ideal but there are way worse things I suppose.

This dog wasnt clipped, it was shaved completely bald, and at a beach in 30 degree heat with no sun protection on (I asked).

Yes there are worst things in life, but seeing this little dog, with no protection against the sun/cold and to be told the reason (and when I said why dont you just vacuum every day, the reply was 'who can be bothered) it made my blood boil.

Edited by Snout Girl